Who else is hitting up the Simpson Desert this June?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:30
ThreadID: 106404 Views:1535 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
On the 5th of June we're leaving Toowoomba for the Simpson Desert for 10 days. It'll be my first time!

Just wondering if any others are planning to go around that time.

Should be good!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kyle H - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:12

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:12
Josh
Leaving Birdsville on August 1 with 2 others GU Patrol, Navara and a 200 series all meeting and come from different states. We have 4 months off this time.
As 2 of us will be towing a caravan and a camper and having to leave them in Birdsville we will be doing a double crossing, east to west then west to east but a different route both ways.
Has anybody got any suggestions of which is the best routes to take, bearing in mind on coming traffic etc??
AnswerID: 527213

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:44

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:44
Kyle,

If coming across for the first time then I'd suggest you take a route from Birdsville to Poepples corner, then stay on the French line right across to Dalhousie, up to Mt Dare for fuel etc...

When heading back, from Dalhousie to Wonga junction, down the Rig Road to the WAA line, across the WAA Line to the Erebena Track, down to the Lone Gum & his mates, back up to the WAA line, across to the Knolls track, down to the Rig road again, then follow the Rig road to the Warburton track, across to the Birdsville Track & up the Inside track back to Birdsville.

This or a variation on the theme, will give you a pretty good cross section of the Simpson desert.

FollowupID: 809591

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:57

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:57
I'll back that one. Jeff also suggested the same way west to east to us and it was excellent. Hardly any cars at all. But get ready for a little bush pinstriping on Knolls Track unless someone trimmed it last year.

Phil

PS Jeff Just a balmy 29 degrees with a few whispy clods floating by. No 49.9 like you showed me.
FollowupID: 809593

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:19

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:19
Thanks Guys for your suggestions. Josh apologies if you feel I have taken over your thread.
This is all of our groups first Simpson crossing although I have been to Birdsville previously and I drove a very short distance into the Simpson then.
Jeff I have read of your Simpson Desert experience and hope I don't need to call for your assistance during our trip. We will look forward for that coldi at the Mt Dare Roadhouse.
I have calculated my fuel needs for the 200series at 138litres and 3 x 20 litre jerry cans going your suggested route east to west around 520ks without detours.
How much further is your suggested west east route?
Will this route be thirstier as far as fuel usage?
If I need more diesel can I buy another jerry can at Mt Dare to save me carrying it both ways?
FollowupID: 809628

Follow Up By: Member - ironJosh - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:48

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:48
That is a good suggestion Jeff. Can I buy diesel at Mt. Dare?

Is there much to see on the Warburton and Birdsville tracks? We were originally going to go back up to the french line and back the way we came, but it would be good to see something different I suppose.
FollowupID: 809663

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:36

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:36
I did both routes last season & I used 125 liters in my V8 78 series dual cab, I carried 180.

From memory it's around the 730 km mark by Rig Road, WAA line, Warburton crossing, longer but easier going.

There are some big dunes at the end of the Rig road just before it reaches the Warburton/K1 line, (not trailer friendly).

As an alternate you can go up the K1 line then back across the QAA line.

We've usually got diesel, the only time that we run out is if we can't get supplies in due to wet roads. We also sell jerry cans.

FollowupID: 809668

Sponsored Links