ipad as GPS

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:50
ThreadID: 106417 Views:5752 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have reviewed previous discussions on this topic. I just want to be sure before I plonk my money down. If I buy the Hema 4wd maps app for my ipad air, it will work just like a GPS navigator by using the satellite signals and not need wifi or mobile coverage to work; is that correct? The reason I am sceptical is because I have my ipad beside me now, Idon't have a sim in it and there is no wifi here and the maps app it comes with is not working. I realise that Hema app is not the same as the preloaded maps app, but I just want to be sure before I spend 130 dollars. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:59

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:59
Terrestrial coverage not needed.....but does enhance a little. iPad utilizes in built GPS to show location on hema maps.
You need wifi to download the app....or PC and hook into iTunes.
Best to bring up maps you want to use while on wifi for more detail....symbol in top left handside of map shows it's downloading.

Brett....
AnswerID: 527191

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:06

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:06
I've got an iPad, with Wi-Fi and GPS, and Hema works well in it.

Don't need any phone towers to make it work. The Hema app is great for checking maps, for trips etc. and you can flick from one side of Australia to the other, faster than you could unroll a paper map.

Also put a sim in mine, and is great for emails, surfing and checking out iTunes/app store.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527192

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58
The wife has the Ipad with GPS etc... & I downloaded the Hema maps app for it.

We did a small recon' up into the North Simpson Desert the other day & it worked very well, I actually preferred the Ipad to my Hema Navigator as it shows a much larger area & more detail.

I set it to log the route & when we got home emailed the route to my laptop & then maped out a route on the laptop to cross the Madigan line later this year.

The only issue that I have is finding a decent mount for it, I got one off ebay which looked pretty good, but in the rough off road conditions it kept falling off the dashboard, the Mrs. ended up holding it in her lap!

AnswerID: 527195

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:42

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:42
I had (and sadly lost) a Hema 7, so I am hoping this app with my ipad would be similar. I AM the missus and always ended up with it on my lap anyway!
FollowupID: 809572

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:17

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:17
I just spent the morning in the shed modifying a video camera windscreen mount for the Ipad, looks good so far, hopefully it doesn't fall of like the other one!

I'm also looking at getting the Mudmaps app for the Ipad, looks good on paper but I'd like to hear from someone who has it already.

FollowupID: 809581

Follow Up By: NextDoor - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:40

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:40
I have Mudmaps on my Ipad attached to the windscreen with a Ram mount. All works great. The advantage with the Ipad is the large screen revealing more of the map. The maps are good. Flipping between them is simple. All works without 3G or Wifi The only problem is that when attached to the windscreen I find the Ipad too big. So I just use it beside me as needed. I thought about getting the new Hema HN7 as my on screen display and having the Ipad as a backup. Two sets of maps. Two resources.
FollowupID: 809669

Reply By: HarryH - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:58
If you have the iPad with 3G & Wifi then you are all good because this has the GPS chip in it and works fine with out Wifi signal, Mine works great with the Hema maps and as a bonus you can also install the Hema app on your iPhone for free- apart from the initial $130 of course. So if you look at it that way its $65 per device, its nice to have a backup I reckon- assuming you've got an iPhone that is.
AnswerID: 527196

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:25

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:25
A couple of people have alluded to it, but to make it perfectly clear, you must get the IPAD with 3/4G. The wifi only one does not include a GPS chip and won't work without extra hardware.
AnswerID: 527204

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:40

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:40
im going to make some assumptions

one being you said you had the SIM out so you do have the correct model

and another is you said you are seated so your indoors?

at the very least you need to be near a decnt window or prefereabally outside to get GPS satillite signal

so go to your settings, make sure your GPS is turned on then go outside and try

network shouldnt be neccesary but can help get a faster signal lock especially if youve flown interstate/overseas
AnswerID: 527215

Follow Up By: IdahOz - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:48

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:48
thanks for that, I was indeed indoors!
FollowupID: 809592

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:15

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:15
"the maps app it comes with is not working"

The "maps app" supplied on Ipads require an internet connection as the maps are downloaded on the fly. There is some caching of maps on internal memory but if you pan to a new area you haven't been before/close app and reopen..and don't have internet (either by wifi or sim) your standard "maps app" wont show any maps..doesn't matter if you are sitting/standing inside/outside :)

The Hema 4WD app is different - it has maps supplied - these are loaded onto the Ipad when you install the app and therefore the maps are always accessible - you don't need the internet to access/use them i.e. the app will work fine on a 3G Ipad in areas with no wifi/phone signal.

Also - as far as I can see there is no way to turn the GPS off and on on a Ipad - its always on (unless maybe if in flight mode).

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 809598

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:41

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:41
could be wrong coz im not an i thingo user but i thought the GPS could be turned on and off in the location settings however its not obvious as it seems your turning wifi on and off??
FollowupID: 809632

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:45

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:45
Hi

You are correct ...well hidden - had to search internet to find how to get to locational services..in Settings - Privacy - Location Services. My wifi stays on though...gps is off and I assume any other method they use to locate you (phone towers) and isp? (via wifi).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809638

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:24

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:24
As mentioned earlier - your iPad needs to be 3G enabled, as there is no GPS in the non-3G model. We made that fatal mistake with our iPad....however....even if your iPad is not 3G enabled, you can use these little things:

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

They turn almost anything that is "smart" (eg iPhone, Andriod, tablet) into a GPS receiver. In hindsight, not such a huge "fatal mistake" after all. We now take the receiver and the iPhone (with Hema Maps) with us hiking and it works brilliantly!

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 527258

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 09:56

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 09:56
We bought a goose neck holder for our I pad which attaches to the bottom of the passenger seat. Have only tried it once so far and it worked great. It did get a bit of a wobble but my husband did something to it to stop that happening. It sits lower than the top of the dashboard and it still works fine.
Sue B
FollowupID: 809729

Reply By: pepper2 - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 18:42

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 18:42
Can I download any of these maps to my samsung galaxy note phone ????
AnswerID: 527354

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:30

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:30
Hello

The Hema 4WD Maps app is only compatible with Apple products (i.e. iphone/ipad).

Hema do however have another app (that is arguably better) that works on both apple gear and android operating systems (e.g. Samsung galaxy variations) called HEMA EXPLORER. It has a cheaper initial cost as only basic maps included - other Hema maps are available at a cost (led to believe other maps sets coming soon). It does however have capability to view Street/Terrain/Satellite imagery (~ Google Maps/Earth) which you can download (i.e. specific areas) and save for use when out of internet range...plus some other additional features.

A comparison of the two products is provided HERE

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809772

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:40

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:40
Memory Map is close to free on PC, Apple IOS and Android. Then buy the Hema map set from Memory Map (exactly the same maps) and away you go on all devices. It seems silly to buy the Hema App for the same price as the Memory Map map set when you can use the MM set on all devices.
FollowupID: 809773

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:44

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 22:44
Yes, that is another option. There is also TwoNav (all platforms), OziExplorer (PC, CE and + android at moment), and some free ones (e.g. androsic (android))...chose the one that best suits your specific requirements.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809774

Reply By: IdahOz - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 19:31

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 19:31
Just as an update. I bought and downloaded the hema maps to the iPad and they are working fine. Can't wait for our first trip with them!
AnswerID: 527357

Sponsored Links