This Thread has been Archived
Not sure if this has come up before.

A mate uses this site for finding GPS plots etc

Federal Govt mapping website

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:36

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:36
Yep
That's where the NatMap 1:250 000 Topo map CD's come from - see ads on RHS column of this site.
NatMap is now part of GA (Geoscience Australia) back where they were 30 years ago !!

NB. If you are looking for tracks that are 'unmapped' on a Topo map, try and find the same named Geological map as the topo data is usually updated by the Geologist. NatMap are in a proscess of updating the topo maps.Subaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
AnswerID: 47331

Reply By: Brett - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:19

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:19
I downloaded one of the maps from the free downloads section . It was a ZIP file in MapInfo format. When extracted there were approx 60 different files. ending in
.mid
.mif
.frg
.tgi

What do I do now that I have about 17 meg of data. Will Oziexplorer load it or do I somehow need to convert it to something.

Cheers
Brett
AnswerID: 47388

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 16:47

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 16:47
Brett the data is not really a "Map" as such but all the lines/points/polygons (vector format data) that are used to make your traditional map (raster format). Not sure about OziE loading Mapinfo format. Next time download the Arcview format files (*.shp) - these can be used by OziE (import ESIRI shape file function) - the data is displayed as track files (for line/polygon features eg rivers roads) and as points or waypoints for point features (eg Mountain or town). If you actually want to make a "map" out of the data you will need a GIS program...eg Arcview (a mere ~$3K). There are some free viewers around...try ESIRI website.

The maps made by Dave on Exploroz website use the data from the GA website.
Cheers
Greg
FollowupID: 309613

Sponsored Links