This Thread has been Archived
Planning trip Alice Springs to Broome across Tanami Desert September onwards
Distances between petrol stops
Accomodation available anywhere
Will be travelling in Nissan Patrol Petrol/Gas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:17

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 16:17
Raysan, look in trip planning / treck notes will give you all the info you wantRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 47329

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:26

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:26
Raysan, the biggest problem is getting across the Tanami Desert. Rabbit flat is one of two fuel stops. You will have to plan when you get there because he is not open every day. Two years ago fuel was 77.5 cent per 500ml. The other fuel stop I know nothing about, someone else might be able to help. I don't think he has auto gas. From Halls Creek to Broom, black top all the way.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 47338

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 20:12

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 20:12
Gday RAYSAN,you can get fuel at Billiluna,Rabbit Flat,Yuendumu and Tilmouth Well,all around $1.50/lt(in august 2003).Camping,everywhere!!!
AnswerID: 47359

Reply By: Hankster - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:58

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:58
Nick was right about fuelling locations. I don't know anything about fuel between Rabbit Flat and Alice Springs because I haven't been that far but I travel between Rabbit Flat and Halls Creek (where I live) almost monthly. Rabbit Flat has no gas and fuel price is about $1.70L (Like Nick said, ring him because he's only open certain days but will open at special request if you call him) Don't buy any beers - about $80 a carton!!!. Billiluna is about $1.50L- no gas. Distances: Halls Creek to Billiluna is about 180km. Billiluna to Rabbit Flat is probably about 270k's. I don't know about in the N/T for accomodation (I wouldn't want to camp overnight at Rabbit Flat, the locals can be annoying) but there is no accomodation at Billiluna on the WA side either. A lot of people pull off the road and camp the night which shouldn't be too much of a problem. There is an Aboriginal Community called Balgo about 40k's off the beaten track between Billiluna and the border that does have accomodation (very average) and fuel as well. They have a great arts centre too - depends if you want to digress but call first. Nice accomodation at Halls Creek at pub. 280k's to Fitzroy Crossing with nice accomodation there. Then to Broome. Depends if you want to travel the 690k's from the Creek to Broome non stop. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 47440

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 21:13

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 21:13
Last time we put in fuel at Rabbit Flat we were offered a campsite which was a clearing in the scrub closeby. We were offered that because we didn't complain about the fuel price which was 65c per 500ml(its the way his old fuel bowser is set up). We bought some other goodies too. But this was 10 years ago. Bruce Farrands must be getting on now and may be more eccentric than ever. He had a run in with one of the Leylands not so long ago and a courtcase ensued. Bruce got fined for waving a gun around. He ain't got many friends but I doubt if he wants friends. I met him way back in the 70's and drank a heap of beers there on one visit.

Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 47471

Sponsored Links