3.5t tow vehicle

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 00:43
ThreadID: 106480 Views:2859 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
gday I'm just after some relevant advice on what would be a good 3.5t rated tow vehicle, currently driving a 2009 vdj76 cruiser,which i would like to upgrade to make travelling a little more comfortable on the wife, I've always been a Toyota man, but i would like to stay with a manual transmission, and the current prado is only rated at 2.5 towing and the 200 series is auto,
am i better off upgrading my seats ( if so what brand ) or is there a manual four wheel drive that i am over looking
thanks Garth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 08:54

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 08:54
What about the Iveco?
AnswerID: 527449

Reply By: bigden - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:26

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:26
there was an interesting article in fridays melbourne herald sun motoring section. it listed all the cars rated at 3.5 tonne and what was good or not ,then continued on about the big american trucks that did handle this weight easily. if you cant find the paper i think its available online
AnswerID: 527454

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:28

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:28
Garth,

If seats are a problem, then fitting lumbar supports might be a simple fix.

We used to have a '97 80 series that had pretty ordinary seating over long distances.
Had a pair of air adjustable lumbar supports fitted and they made a huge difference. Wasn't expensive either.

Otherwise a set of aftermarket seats would be way to go. Think Recaro, and maybe others, sell orthopedic seats too. Not cheap but you keep your manual Tojo.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527455

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:57

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:57
Two good quality, supportive seats, even suspension seats, is quite a few tads cheaper than buying another/different Toyota.

Most aftermarket places will try and sell you supportive race seat where you are after comfort supportive, so some definite idea of what you want is required so the salesman doesn't try and force the wrong seat onto you.
FollowupID: 809842

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 10:44

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 10:44
Firtsly, let me say......if you need a truck, buy a truck.

In my opinion ( and in others)The towing capacities of most of the current crop of vehicles are overstated.

We have a crop of vehicles that are not all that different to the previous generation but my some magic have very much higher published towing ratings.

Pretty well every single 4wd passenger car or passenger derived commercial, is running into (and past) the limits of the format, the decades old basic chasis design and the running gear have been basicaly maxed out

Witness to this is the string of stories, supported by pictures of vehicles in this generation, suposedly towing within capacity and having rear chassis failures.

Then there are the nice little traps.
many of the light vehicles that have high published towing capacities have instressting conditions or qualification for those two ratings that make a joke of them.

A high towing capacity, but a ball weight that dose not reflect that capacity.
A high towing capacity, but requiring the vehicle to be more or less unladen to achieve that capacity.
Manufactuers specifically excluding the use of weight distributing hitches.

AND
My old favorite, limiting the towing capacity to "smooth improved surfaces".

The Iveco turbo daily is only one example of a vehicle far more fit for purpose..as shipped....than those traditionally used for towing of the heaviest of the "light trailers"

Now back to this seats thing.
We hear a lot of people upgrading seats in 70 series land crusers..and at great expense.

Folks...the seats are not the problem.....and whale fancy seats my provide some little relief they will not fix the problem.

The problem is fundamental to the vehicle.
The driving position in the 70 series is just crap...the seating position is located badly in the wheel base, resulting in a rougher ride than it should.

the entire driving position is designed arround someone about 5 foot 4...because if you are any taller than that you can not push the seat back far enough for a propper leg positon....even with the seat bolt upright in the ute.

You do not even sit straight in them...because the driving position has been pushed forward into the vehicle, the transmission tunnel intrudes into the foot well leaving a narrow and offset foot space.

Then you have the suspension...the suspension is designed arround a full load in the back.
The whole vehicle is compromised in favour of load carrying capacity at the cost of comfort.

If you are having comfort issues.....and possibly back problems with a 70 series...don't be too hopefull that some expensive seats will solve your probem.

BTW...the iveco like any good truck comes with multi adjustable air suspended driver and pasenger seats.

cheers
AnswerID: 527461

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 17:42

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 17:42
I have a 105 series cruiser oldie but am happy with my setup especially the 6.5 V8, had trouble with seats took it to an upholstery business here in Perth, extremely happy with the outcome, they the upholsterer mainly does Toyota seats for the mining industry. He put two firmer foam bases in my front seats with pump up lumbar supports for around 600 bucks for both. Great job and my wife who before that had big trouble with her back aching after long drives has no problems now, same for me.
http://www.trimcare.com.au
AnswerID: 527489

Reply By: Keith H7 - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 20:12

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 20:12
Have a look at the Deisel Jeep Grand Cherokee - You will not be disappointed
AnswerID: 527496

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 20:19

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 20:19
Salt n pepper,

Here is a Toyota which will comfortably do the job for you, It even had a half page ad in the Queensland Country Life last week.

Toyota Rockhampton
AnswerID: 527497

Reply By: chisel - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 10:53

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 10:53
I suggest you re-assess your attachment to manual transmissions. And then buy a 200 series.
AnswerID: 527565

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 17:07

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 17:07
Hi,
We are new at towing vans. Purchased a Mazda BT50 2013, new, (after writing our 2004 LC off).. Purchased a Crusader X Country 16' off roader. Maz has ball weight 350kg, tow 3.5t. Van total can be 2.5t. Towed the van 2,500km from Woolooga QLD to Adelaide, didn't even know it was on the back. Have seen the BT50 towing some pretty big vans.

Something else to consider.

Russ
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527770

Sponsored Links