Buying a suitable Kayak for pottering in lakes and rivers

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 14:44
ThreadID: 106497 Views:2519 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Des and I would like to get a 2 person canoe or kayak so thst we can just go that extra place in lakes and or rivers as we travel around the country. Have you people got some experience as to what sort would be more suitable, siton, or sit in, rudder or not or what ever. You help would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 15:18

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 15:18
Hi Lynley

You will no doubt get a number of replies from people that use all types of Kayaks and Canoes.

As is in any case you will only get as good as you are willing to pay. We went for the Dagger brand and yes they are not cheap, but a great, very stable unit. When I am going solo, I have a single and when we want to go double up, we have the double.

Here are some images of the double in action, including out in the Simpson Desert when it was flooded a few years ago and out along the Cooper Creek on the Birdsville Track when it was flooded.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527522

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 17:03

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 17:03
That's a nice canoe, great pics too.
FollowupID: 809927

Reply By: Rtv47 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 15:22

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 15:22
We have "BIC". They are a bit dearer than some , but for us that aren't as well balanced
As we used to be,they are perfect ....... Check them out on the web. (ps ours is for sale)
AnswerID: 527523

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 16:45

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 16:45
If its just for pottering
Id suggest no rudder there just annoying and get caught in shallows
Get a wide one stability is king if your not looking to win the avon descent
And sit on.
Last thing you w a nt if you go in is a sunken kayac full of water
AnswerID: 527525

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 16:57

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 16:57
Over the years we’ve had four Canadians, three sit in kayaks, three wave/surf skis, six sit on tops and two Hobie Mirage sit ons plus a Hobie Adventure Island. I’ve found the most versatile to be the Canadian followed by the Hobie mirage and trailing along behind, the sit on and sit in kayaks and wave/surf skis.

My favorites are the fibreglass Canadians, they are very light and can float 2/3 people plus dogs, kids and mountains of gear (dependant on size of course). Canadians can also be modified for sailing and motoring: I converted a 16’ and a 13’ for both, both sailed and motored extremely well (outriggers not required).

Hobies are also great, they can be pedalled, paddled, sailed or motored; but, being poly they are heavy and are very, very expensive by comparison. On the plus side there are so many accessories available for the Hobie, only your imagination will curtail your ambition.

Single sit ons are great for paddling around on the river/ocean and being reasonably light easy to load. Tandems on the other hand are extremely heavy, very long and difficult to move around - not to mention getting them up on the car’s roof.

Horses for courses: if you just want to mess around at the beach or river single sit ons are OK, but you will get bored pretty quickly. Tandems are just to cumbersome. If you want to do some exploring, single sit ons are OK for that too. If you want to get a bit more serious, I’d buy a Hobie and f you want to do a little two up touring - a Canadian.

I have a Hobie Revolution, it's rated to 140kgs from memory, but it takes both the wife and I easily at a combined weight of 145kgs. I usually sail or pedal it with the wife and dog taking it easy at the rear. Why pedal rather than paddle: leg muscles are far more powerful than arm and shoulder muscles and of course it's faster. There are bigger and smaller Hobies, as well as Tandems if you must.

AnswerID: 527526

Follow Up By: RodnSue - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:50

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 20:50
Des & Lynley, we too have Hobie Revolution 11 Kayaks. We have 1 each, hubby likes fishing & I love bird watching, so we go our separate ways.
Peddle power is so much easier, & I have gone into shallows occasionally with under water grasses etc & I just get the paddle off the side & push my way away from the under water grasses.
The "flippers" & can be positioned to sit flat against the base of the kayak & rudder lifted if in very shallow water (need to do this process when coming into shore any way)
Their website is www.hobiecat.com.au to hopefully find an outlet in your state.
cheers
Sue
FollowupID: 809951

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:08

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:08
Have you considered a slim punt.

Cant remember the manufacturer, but one of the aluminium boat manufacturers makes a small narrow punt.

Definitely more boaty than canoey......but in the same size and weight range.

From memory the smallest one is 800 wide and 2400 long.
Maybe not as light as a proper canoe or kayak...but they will give some of those blow moulded rafts (sorry sit on kayaks) a run for their money on weight.

Wider and more stable than any of the canoe market options....if you have reasonabl balance you can stand up and cast.

Will take a small outboard

can definitely still be paddled or rowed.....narrow enough to use a single or double ended paddle, some stand up paddle board style...but they are wide enough to get a proper set of oars into em.

They work pretty well with a small electric motor.....and they will get up on the plane with quite a small outboard.

I want one...but I'll have to get rid of at least one other boat first.

cheers
AnswerID: 527529

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:47

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:47
I'd suggest you join a local canoe/kayak club at least for a come and try session or two. Paddling is a subjective topic. I also have a Canadian, touring kayak, South African fishing ski, and a plastic sit on top. For two older people on sheltered water a Canadian wins all day long. They are quick in the water, easier to get in and out of, and have a much better sitting position then others. The semi enclosed yaks like StephenL's above would be my next choice - possibly my first choice if I had a little experience, but the closer seating positions and double blades require a bit of teamwork to get going. Every boat is a compromise of some sort, so to find the best one for your purposes, you first need to sit down and list out exactly what those purposes are or you will end up with the wrong boat. Another topic is safety, the need to wear Pfds and your ability to save and re-enter a capsized craft. Again, a club will help drive home the importance of having a few skills, a bit of equipment and the knowledge to use it. One of the hobies mentioned above has proved dam near impossible to re enter on our training days, and that's by guys who know what they are about in controlled conditions. There are more people dying whilst paddling now than ever before simply due to its popularity and people discounting the importance of simple things like Pfds.
AnswerID: 527553

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 01:11

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 01:11
Some good advice here, especially go for a sit on top or Canadian if inexperienced. Also, make sure it is light enough for you to load on roof rack easily because if it's a hassle, you won't use it. Also make sure the missus is as keen as you are because most doubles aren't good for use as singles. Try to get some training even if "just pottering" because getting stuck in adverse weather and tides can be dangerous. Sorry if all that's a bit serious but needs consideration
FollowupID: 810043

Reply By: Jos - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:29

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:29
I often take a small (2.7m) sit on top fishing kayak. The extra width gives it more stability. The small size makes it lighter and easy to maneuver in tight spots - I tend to kayak in creeks, rivers etc. I can handle this kayak easily by myself.

Now, if speed is an issue, or larger bodies of water, you should think about a bigger kayak.

A two person kayak is very long, and could be a pain in small creeks. It also limits you a bit in that your partner needs to come with you - or at least help you get it into the water. It may be easier to buy 2 smaller kayaks that are the same - this way you can stack them on top of each other for transport when space is limited.

Whether you go for a sit in or sit on top is a personal preference. As others have mentioned, you may need to try some out. Your ability to "right" the kayak or canoe if it flips is something you really need to consider when selecting one.

And lastly, a few other people have mentioned the Hobie kayak. Mmmm, yes, if I had a bit more money to throw at a kayak, I'd want one (or two) of these.

AnswerID: 527561

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 10:08

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 10:08
We use a Point 65 3 piece kayak, which can be used as either a single or a tandem, they are around $900.00 from Anaconda ..... LINK

AnswerID: 527623

Sponsored Links