Dust in Van

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 12:28
ThreadID: 106517 Views:3085 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am getting an off road caravan in next month or so
We are travelling Kimberleys, GRR etc
I want to minimise dust entering the van
I appreciate its largely dependant on seals etc but I have heard increasing air pressure in the van can help reduce dust penetration
Has anyone heard of these and are they worth getting?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 12:39

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 12:39
I only tried using a pressure hatch once, the dust & fine gravel was unbelievable!
I think you would need to be fairly optimistic to think that a little vent could introduce more air than the vents for the fridge, door vents, microwave vent, range hood vent etc could exhaust.
If you are going to the Outback dust is a fact of life!

AnswerID: 527568

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 14:54

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 14:54
In a caravan the fridge vents should be sealed from the interior, cover the door vent when travelling but remember to uncover when stopped, microwaves are not normally vented to the outside and put a shower cap over the range hood vent.
I used my Fantastic fan to blow air into the van and went around the outside checked for leaks and sealed them.
I also installed a blower system through filters to pressurize the van. No more dust.
There is info on the net about bilge blowers used to pressurize. Look on the Caravaners forum or Google it.
FollowupID: 809992

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 15:59

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 15:59
Rod is on the money. Our Conqueror has a blower fan through an air filter to pressurise the interior and no problem with dust.
FollowupID: 809999

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 13:49

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 13:49
What he said.
Dust will get in EVERYTHING. Plastic bags are your friend.
Just ignore it in your living areas.
But worry about it in your wheel bearings, suspension bushings and water tank.
AnswerID: 527571

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 14:34

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 14:34
There is other discussion on the forum on this topic, including some quire recently. A search should find it.
But the bottom line is, it really DOES depend on the quality and maintenance of your seals, and if they are good enough you don't have to tolerate dust in your canopy or camper wherever you travel.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527573

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 15:54

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 15:54
Search here and on the caravaners forum....plenty of discussion....you can end up dust free inside while traveling on mega dusty roads..... its worth the effort.
AnswerID: 527575

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 17:08
Hi Rustynails

If you are getting an off road caravan, it should be dust sealed with the exception of the gas vents in the door.

I place a couple of bathroom flannels held by Velcro tabs between the door and screen door to filter dust from the entry, although foam rubber would be better if you can buy sheets that are thin enough. Remove these when you stop.

Place a plug in the shower outlet if you have a shower.

I am not in favour of using a scupper vent to push air in as a method to keep dust out - sealing is the best solution. Even with a high caravan like ours, fine powdery bulldust can shower the caravan, and a load of that blown in through a scupper could really make a mess.

Our fridge compressor is vented to the exterior and with the angle of the fins very little dust gets in. However is is sealed from the interior of the caravan and any dust settles on the floor around the compressor which can be vacuumed out when we come home.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527580

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 19:06

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 19:06
The air at high level will always be cleaner than at low level.
If your sealing is good, very little air will come in via a pressurising vent, but there will always be some leaks via the windows and doors and the high level pressurisation will stop dust coming in through them.
Tried and true.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 527586

Sponsored Links