1990 80 Series Landcruiser headlight problem part 2

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 16:00
ThreadID: 106522 Views:6357 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to reply to posts in the original thread and now it's been archived so can't post in there.

As some of you may recall I said I have installed another combination switch, relay and changed all fuses and still no luck. I also used a bypass wire to go from the combination switch to I think the relay.The headlights worked then on low beam but low and high beam wouldn't work when the switch was put to high beam. I checked power to the high beam light and it had power both sides of the bulb instead of power and earth.

So, since then I have removed the bypass wire to put it back to original and start again. Now there is no power to the fuses at all. I have put a new earth lead from the battery to the motor and from the battery to the body. I have also put a new fusible link on as well as tried a 3rd headlight relay but still no power to the fuses. When I put a test light on the negative side of the relay the low beam lights come on and also there is slight power to the test light as it lights up although very dull. Any more help would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 16:29

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 16:29
Very similar to the 60 series wiring I believe.

The switch on the end of the RH stalk earths the coil in the relay so power is then positively switched to the headlight common terminal.

If the jump wire worked and not it doesn't with all as normal then the combination switch is at fault OR it's wiring.

When the jumper was in place and low beam worked, that indicates the system earthing comb switch IS working and passing the headlight current to earth as normal.
If the HIGH beam didn't work it indicates the contacts in the comb switch for high beam aren't touching.

If it is a second hand switch it possibly will have the same problems as the first one.

If same as the 60 series, there is a little, black, fine insulated wire from the stalk going into the comb switch.
Because of the High/Low movement, that little wire fractures one or both of the two wires and it doesn't then earth the main relay and nothing works.

If the headlight comb switch has been used to run higher than normal globe sizes the High beam petal of the switch will be fried.

It might pay to fully investigate the com switch. When I had problems with my 60 I took it all apart and then found the earthing wire to stalk fractured so replaced it with one from a crashed Corona/Celica of similar year. Because the car hadn't done many KM's the switch was perfect.
AnswerID: 527577

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 21:53

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 21:53
I've been an auto electrician for 38 years and my advice is go see one.
AnswerID: 527609

Sponsored Links