Taking a caravan to Megalong Valley

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 15:23
ThreadID: 106539 Views:2282 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone camped at Old Ford Reserve in the Megalong Valley in a caravan? What's the road going down like- suitable, not too steep for a caravan? Is there enough room at Old Ford Reserve for a 16 foot caravan?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 15:53

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 15:53
Lee,

The road down into the valley is a bit steep in a couple of spots, but as long as you go down in a lower gear and take your time, it's a pleasant drive. On the way back, if your tow vehicle isn't an Austin A40, then the climb shouldn't worry you with a 16' van. There's a couple of hairpin bends, so take them steady, and don't cut the corners, in case you strike someone who's in a bigger hurry than you.

On the way down, the road follows Blackheath Glen down into the valley, and it's a lovely spot for a walk or a cuppa. Cool, dark, with lots of tree ferns, moss and other moisture loving plants.

If the Old Ford reserve is the one on Megalong Ck, then you could park any number of 16 footers there. Great spot with the view of Narrow Neck to the east, and clear water in the creek. Can get pretty busy at times,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527636

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 18:14

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 18:14
Hi Lee,
Bob has just about nailed it for you.

The road is steep but if you are unsure then put the van into a van park in Blackheath for a day and head down into the valley minus the van for a look see. If you reckon your vehicle will cope OK then you can head down with the van the next day.

Lovely spot as I recall although it is about 30 years since I was there last.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527644

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:04

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:04
Sounds like a good spot to visit, but in asking about places I have never seen anyone yet say where the valley, or road, or reserve actually is.
Possibly others would be interested if passing that way and pencil it in, and to have a rough idea where the attractions are located would be very hand info for the readers of posts on EO.

Yes, we can start up the GPS units and then search for the name, but often there are multiples so that isn't a sure thing either.

Just a general location would assist most folk as reports and requests are about places all over Australia.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 527647

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 22:13

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 22:13
The Megalong Valley is in the Blue Mts just to the west of Sydney.
FollowupID: 810096

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 20:33

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 20:33
We used to take our low loader down the valley and also our graders trucks rollers etc when we graded all the roads. If you are careful and take your time on the bends and headlights on as the locals do drive quite quick. You may also meet coaches from the Megalong Valley farm and packsaddlers. Gets foggy and the upper section can have ice on it as it doesn't get the sun about 8 mths of the year.
The old ford reserve is where the road crosses the creek on the low level crossing (there are several crossings on bridges / culverts on the way down the glen). Naturally "The Old Ford" refers to crossing the water not a mob that make some dodgy utes and is about 300m north of the 6 foot track crossing and convict cemetary.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527654

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 00:38

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 00:38
This looks like one of the bettr curves

The reserve
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527670

Reply By: Meridith D - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 19:14

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 19:14
Once a year, our Zone Pony Club ran their championships at the sporting grounds which involved lots of vehicles of differing sorts and attached horse floats heading down that way. I've taken a large 3 horse float down there with 2 horses (weighing 500kg each) and all their associated gear for the kids towed behind an 80series. Head down slowly and use your gears (give your brakes a rest) and a bit of a struggle for the overloaded Landcruiser coming back up but plenty of us would do it year after year.

I don't know what vehicle you have, but towing a 16 foot van should be a doddle.
AnswerID: 527718

Sponsored Links