Will water make it to Eyre Ck in the Simpson this year ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 17:39
ThreadID: 106542 Views:2103 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
If anyone owns a crystal ball can they tell me if the above will happen.
A big mob of us are heading East at Easter and have read that Eyre Ck has water flowing higher up.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:08

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 19:08
Mine says "maybe".

Came back over the Barkly H'way yesterday, and the Ranken, James and Georgina Rivers were all flooding/running. As well, have heard that both the Hamilton and Burke Rivers are flooding as well. The Burke was over the bridge at Boulia, so plenty of water coming down from that direction. The Hamilton has cut the Winton/Boulia at the old Hamilton Pub. If the Mulligan is running as well, then it might help the water to get down that far.

While this seems like a lot of water, there's a lot of dry gullies and waterholes to fill on it's way to Eyre Creek, so like the crystal ball said: "maybe?"

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527648

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 22:58

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 22:58
Gday Bob,

My recollection was that it takes quite a while for the water to come down from the north.
Any guesses as to when it might reach the QAA Line if it were to get down that far?
The OP is travelling at Easter which is about 6 weeks away.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 810100

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 06:15

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 06:15
I can assure you that the Warburton creek is as dry as a bone no damp there. BOM QLD river levels best bet. Not a lot on the ground this end in fact only 11mm YTD. Only 42mm last year. A lot of dry country to wet. But don't give up hope until the end of March.
FollowupID: 810110

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 06:17

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 06:17
P.S mining on top of creek systems now the creeks they may never be the same again.
FollowupID: 810111

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 20:58
G'day Phil,

Not au fait with the Georgina flow regime these days(if I ever was back in the HF days :-)), the Diamantina being my forte.

Way I see it is, after such a dry year, it will need to be a bigger year than this has been to date, to do much other than a trickle down the lower section of Eyre Ck ie: across the Simpson track.

Consider say Lake Machattie, if that fills from Eyre Ck, then there won't be much left for anyone further down the catchment.

As for timing, the Hamilton and Burke will be well ahead of current flow in Georgina and it's tributaries, though there has been an earlier run in Georgina and creeks between Camooweal and the Isa.

So using the crystal ball again, reckon the Boulia water will be down that way in 4-6 weeks time, with this later flow from up at Camooweal, say 4-5 weeks after that.

Back in the HF days, one always had a good idea where the floods were, but since the phones came into the Channel Country, lost not only a sense of community but a valuable "news" service. So much for progress???

Sorry to be so long winded, Phil :-)))

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810143

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 00:45

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 00:45
Keep an eye on this site - Lake Eyre Yacht Club - Lake Status

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527671

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 17:21

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 17:21
A contact in Birdsville said they've had lots of rain there and in the central west districts of QLD, so likely something will be happening in Eyre Ck by then.
The Cooper too has a lot heading down towards Innamincka, how long, who knows.

We are also heading across Easter weekend, west to Birdsville leaving Mt Dare Sun 20th, 4 days to BV, rest day in the area, Anzac Day service there, pub, bit of two up, bakery, then head down to Inna.
Want to go via Walkers Crossing, but may need to take Cordillo road and do dig tree circuit on the way.

Should know more closer to the week we leave.
AnswerID: 527709

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 19:25

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2014 at 19:25
Gday Les,
I think we may know one another from the good old Mitchell Park days???
Have a great trip in April!
But I doubt you'll see any water in Eyre Creek. It takes a heap of rain up Mt Isa way, and it takes a long time to come down.
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 810134

Sponsored Links