Tyre Pressures on Jayco vans

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:30
ThreadID: 106565 Views:5635 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Jayco Caravan (outback model). With all the outback travel posts, the general comment is to lower the tyre pressures when travelling on tracks, makes sense.
Jayco tyres a filled with Nitrogen from new, can anyone advise if it would be a problem to re inflate the tyres from a compressor, if you have deflated them to traverse a track?
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:58

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:58
For everyday use for the vast majority of tyres in use, air seems to be quite good.
There is no normal discernable advantage in having nitrogen in the tyres,
Most people regard Jayco as using nitrogen as an attractive sales feature. Gimmick.
If it was a racing caravan then maybe.

Nitrogen has larger molecule size and doesn't leak through rubber as quick as oxygen and CO2.

If you leave an inflated tyre for long time some gasses leak through the rubber and what is mostly left is nitrogen. Reinflated with air the tyre then has more concentration of nitrogen than when originally filled with air.

If you regularly check your tyre pressures and reinflate them with that common stuff "air" you will never know any difference. There is a fair percentage of N in air so that last little bit that Jayco by using all N is good for their bottom line and not yours.
AnswerID: 527751

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 09:28

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 09:28
Thanks Ross, much appreciated.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810190

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 15:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 15:46
I have the nito in my Jayco as well. One benefit I found was when I went north last year, there was no expansion from the heat. I never bothered reducing my pressures, but most of the trip was on the black top.
AnswerID: 527764

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 00:14

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 00:14
Can I ask what you mean when you say there was no expansion I've never heard of that term before. I do know that it is normal for your tyre pressure to increase 2 to 4 psi in hot weather is that what you mean by expansion.
FollowupID: 810262

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 20:31

Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 20:31
Why would Jayco fill their hoops with 100% nitrogen..?

I'd say just fill them via your compressor and be confident that they have 79% nitrogen in them, courtesy of our atmosphere.
AnswerID: 527783

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 04:43

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 04:43
This is on there brochure.

— Tyres are inflated with nitrogen – not everyday air –
reducing fuel usage, tyre wear and the risk of blowouts,
while also improving ride and handling
Tony

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810263

Sponsored Links