Native Title KMZ files for Google Earth

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2014 at 22:36
ThreadID: 106583 Views:1717 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

For those interested in boundaries of Native Title Determinations you can now download KMZ files which display the boundaries in Google Earth from the National Native Title Tribunal website.

Native Title Data downloads

For further information click in your area of interest and information will be displayed regarding the determination including who the custodians are.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.
"Outback Yonder"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 07:52

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 07:52
Hi Alan

That could be useful - don't suppose you know where we could get that data in a format used by Ozi explorer.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527798

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 16:09

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 16:09
Hi

Open the KMZ file in Google Earth, then right mouse click on Place Name in left pane, select "Save Place As" and choose *.kml. ...Save file

In Ozi select LOAD -> Import Google Earth (kml) File.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810291

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:26

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:26
Good question Robin,

Greg thats the obvious way however it doesn't work for me, file may be too large.

I tried importing in to Ozi from that page as a ESRI Shape file (*.shp).

The 1.2 million points uploaded no problems however only display in the map view page. Some of the file displays on the main view screen as required however as an estimate only about 10% of the data.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.
"Outback Yonder"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 810328

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 23:35

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 23:35
My apologies - never tested the data in question - way to big.

No surprise - OziExplorer isn't a full on GIS program (like Arcview/Global Mapper etc ) and can only load a limited number of "track" (AKA polyline/polygon) points.

I tried the next obvious :) option ..instead of converting the whole lot as one, just selected and saved one small NT area as kml ...smaller file, but Ozi won't recognise data ...?

Plan B -> open the previously mentioned kml file (of just one small area) in Global Mapper and saved as GPX - then open in OziExplorer - works fine !!

So, Ozi has some limitations/data format issues with respect to this data/Google Earth export format and alternative programs required (if you want view data in Ozi ). Maybe someone else knows a simpler/alternative solution.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810333

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:13

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:13
Thanks for coming back to us guys - been away in the bush !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810460

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)