Keep an Eye out for 'Rattles' in his horse drawn cart

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 01:33
ThreadID: 106584 Views:2297 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

On our way home across the Nullarbor a week ago we came across Ian Retallack and chatted to him at the Eucla caravan park about his unusual method of 'doing the big lap' in a horse and cart. He has two horses actually and his Alsatian dog as his only companions and has been on the road from Boyup Brook WA to Echuca for 4 months and expects to take three years to complete the journey. He is fund raising for cancer research and can be found on facebook & google under 'Rattles Rides for Cancer'.

If any fellow travellers spot him along the roadside, he is keeping in touch with the passing traffic on channel 40. He takes up a bit more room than Darth Vader who was a couple of days further along towards Widgiemooltha when we passed him.

Just a 'heads up' in case you think you are seeing mirages out there on the highway - it has been pretty hot in recent weeks.

Cheers Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 10:22

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 10:22
We camped along side of him at Jillah Rockhole, Mundrabilla. Very interesting bloke. In a very small world it turned out his parents used to run the Jerramungup caravan park where my nephew lives. His son and my nephews daughter went to school together.

Rattles Ride for Cancer Facebook page here.
AnswerID: 527811

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:15

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:15
Thanks Rod - Small world isn't it?

Yes we thought he was a delightful chap. He has taken on a quite a challenge - all for a good cause of course. Thanks for putting up the facebook link, my skills in that area are quite limited. I was quite chuffed when the photo turned up :O))
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810271

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:57

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 22:57
An amazing journey. It seems he came from Boyanup, and Boyup Brook was his first stopover.

"IAN Retallack started his Rattlers Ride around Australia from Boyanup in his horse and wagon to raise funds for cancer on Sunday, October 27.

His first stop over was Boyup Brook."
From Donnybrook-Bridgetown Mail 11 November 2013.

Motherhen
(hatched at Boyup Brook)

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527879

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:06

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:06
Yes, we saw him on the way east on the Nullabor in late January. I picked up some radio chatter on the UHF where I heard someone say they were covering between 20-50kms per day. I was thinking what are you driving??? And then lo and behold we came around a bend and saw the horse and cart. Couldn't believe it! And you are right it was absolutely boiling on the way home where we saw him again, I think it was Caiguna. It got to 50 degrees that day. Pretty tough customer!
AnswerID: 527960

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 20:32

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 20:32
Phil,

Thanks for that info, good cause.

I probably need to get out more, but who is Darth Vader? Am aware of the Star Wars bloke, of course:-)))

Thanks,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527992

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 23:55

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 23:55
Hi Bob - I am only vaguely aware of the Star Wars era - being in the bush around that time, but I think you are on the right track.

The 'Darth Vader' we passed hit the road from one of the 'big smoke' locations on the east coast about the time we were heading in that direction, as I recall from the various news items at the time.

The fellow we saw near Widgiemooltha was in a fully kitted Darth Vader outfit and pushing a handcart & I remarked to Jill that it must be awfully hot in that clobber as we flew past.

I expect he too is also supporting a worthy cause, but he was on his own out there and doing it tough I imagine.

He may have been mentioned on 'Macca's on Sunday' session as well.

I take my hat off to all of those characters out there - whether on bikes, footwalkin' or Shanks's pony - doing their bit for the various organisations, as they all make a difference.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810445

Sponsored Links