Alice Springs to Camooweal

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 14:20
ThreadID: 106595 Views:2101 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Am planning a trip to Cape York this July and was intending to visit Lawn Hill NP on the way.
My intended route is from Perth to Alice, then up the Stuart Hwy, Plenty Hwy and then turn off onto the Sandover Highway through to Camooweal.
I've searched in places, treks, blogs etc. but cant seem to find any information on the Sandover Hwy.
Can anyone advise me of the condition of the Sandover and is it likely to pose any problems for an off road C/T?
Thanks in advance
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: philip t jones - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 18:04

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 18:04
Hi Dingo

I towed a Jaco outback across a couple of years ago with no problems, We went on past Lake Nash Station to the Urangandi /Camooweal rd that section was a bit lumpy.
but dont know what its like this year.

Phil
AnswerID: 527854

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 18:23

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 18:23
Thanks Phil,
Will probably head North before Lake Nash via Austral Downs. Apparently the road is much better.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 810303

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:29

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:29
DB,

It's about 2.5 years since we came back that way from Ayers Rock, on way to Camooweal.

Very good condition then except for a few clicks between Arlparra store and the community.........excellent examples of corrugations. About 15kms of bitumen east from community, which was pleasant change from previous few kms.

Not much by way of scenery either, but some different vegetation types which we'd not seen before, so made it interesting. Because of vegetation, camp sites are a bit scarce, and we squeezed into spot between road and fence.

Don't think it gets much use(east of Arlparra), so road surface holds up okay. Would agree the route through Austral might be best, as road south of Camooweal gets cut up a bit.

There's a couple of photos on my profile page taken on that trip.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527896

Sponsored Links