Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 10:13
ThreadID: 106607 Views:1765 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2012 SR5 Hilux and would like to know if anybody has tried loading this app to the factory navigation unit. I intend to travel around Oz next year and would find this very handy as we will be towing an off road camper trailer and going to some remote sites.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 23:47

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 23:47
Hello

I am not familiar with the "factory navigation unit" but typically they cant utilise maps that aren't in some special "factory" format. So 99.99% sure EOTopo (or any other raster map product) wont work. Your options are to:

1: Live with the factory unit

2: Get an additional nav unit that does run a gps mapping program that EOtopo works on (several options e.g. Hema Navigator, Android Tablet); or

3: If possible don't pay for initial factory nav option and fit a unit that does use raster maps e.g. double Din CE Nav device that runs Oziexplorer CE (which uses raster maps such as EOTopo). I think VMS also have options like this but not up to speed on full details. Other cheaper options on Ebay.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527936

Follow Up By: shipo - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 08:29

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 08:29
I will check the model of my Garmin Nuvii 4.5 inch and look at getting it upgraded to lifetime maps and maybe start using it as my off road nav unit as well. I don't find the inbuilt unit very user friendly and the Toyota map updates are only ever within 2 years of being current. Their maps are of the Natmap series. Thanks for the prompt response, I will keep searching for a solution but don't expect a good outcome.
FollowupID: 810382

Sponsored Links