QLD now adhering to the national standards

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:23
ThreadID: 106632 Views:2281 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

I may be mistaken but QLD as of February this year has begun to adhere to the NCOP (national code of practice), with their own auxiliary set of rules.

This allows for a 2" tyre upgrade (31" to 33"), and a 2" lift upgrade (un-engineered), or 6" total vehicle lift approved by an engineer. For example, my 80 series came with 31" tyres, so I can fit a 4" lift and 33" tyres.

At least this is my understanding from this document.

What are you guy's thoughts?

Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ironJosh - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:25

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:25
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf
AnswerID: 528001

Follow Up By: Member - ironJosh - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:28

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:28
Sorry guy's, tripple click the link and then right-click- copy.
FollowupID: 810441

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 00:43

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 00:43
If my memory serves correctly that all rolled in half way thru last year.

If you read the detail, anything over 2 inches suspension lift, is more or less off the table for most due to the cost and the requirement for lane change testing.

Under the old regs you could get arround 3 inches suspension lift out of an 80 series...with no engineering and no please or may I...because it was bassed on persentage of factory suspenion travel.

Last time I was involved in a discussion there was no facility offering lane change testing in QLD....so that meant trucking the modified vehicle to NSW and back....because until it has been acredited it is illegal to drive on the road.

Even if you do have the money....remember the total engineerable lift is subject to a range of engineering conditions....which may make the full suposedly available lift a non starter for many vehicles....your 80 series may still be limited to 3 inches.

A down side is that a body lift that prior was dooable on a simple over pits inspection, now requires engineering...and from memory lane change testing.

BTW..the figures are in millimeters and not inches.......that can make a difference particularly in tyres.

On hiluxes and other light utes, the 50mm increase in tyre size might not be achievable because of the tyre sizes available.....mostly they will be well short of the 50mm or bust out and be over.

BTW you do know that 31 inch tyres are not 31 inches tall.....pretty well without exception the flotation tyres are all half an inch shorter than stamped with any road going tread pattern

Before you get exited read all the detail and do ya calculations in mm.

cheers
AnswerID: 528008

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:12

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:12
You would need to contact your insurance company if you fit tyres outside the sizes on the vehicles tyre placard!

AnswerID: 528013

Reply By: wizzer73 - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:25

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:25
After having a read of page 28, clause 4.11, I don't think you can go more then 50mm in total height change without needing a certification.

wizzer
AnswerID: 528014

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:40

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:40
Its pretty clear with the whole VSB14 package...a total of 75mm made up of 25mm height increase due to tyre size and 50mm height due to springs...all without certification.

Any further increase in tyre size is pretty well off the table, and any further increase in height due to suspension or body lift, has requirements so difficult it may as well be for most.

cheers
FollowupID: 810451

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:58

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:58
Hi Bantam, Could you please show me the page that the "75mm" is stated. I'm curious as I tried here in WA to find out how high I could go without needing certification. I contacted the inspectors with Dept of Transport and was told according to this VBS14 that a total of 50mm is all I could go.

cheers
FollowupID: 810486

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:34

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:34
you need to look at two different parts of the documents

50mm permitted suspension lift.....subject to requirements
This will be in the section on suspension

25mm lift from increase in tyre size
This will be in the section on tyres.

Its been a while since I waded thru the whole thing.

There was talk of a 50mm total at one time....I cant remember the details of how that played out....some of the states may have played that one differently.

The various states while more or less signing up to VSB14 have all seen fit to fiddle a bit.

For example....in QLD high mounted spot lights are permitted, but not in SA.
In QLD thay have always been red hot on prosecuting spotlights mounted above the bullbar...but in WA it seems fairly common.

Every other state and teritory makes it clear they do not permit extended spring shackles..even NSW...and it has been that way..."like For EVerrr"...but they are quite happy for you bto have em in NT.

We all had hopes of a consistent national vehicle mods polocy......I supose its better than it was.

cheers
FollowupID: 810489

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:55

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:55
I just love this idea of "National Standards". Then of course, each state has to have it's little variations, lord knows why. We have things like a National Building Code, but each state has it's own little additions/subtractions.

Wouldn't it be nice if we only had one set of laws and standards in the old Aus! We have about as many people in this country as a large City, yet we still have 3 tiers of Government and all the hangers on that that brings with it!

I'd hate to be a national company trying do deal with all the state and territory administrations.
AnswerID: 528028

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:23

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:23
Nah, then we would have everything managed by some shinybum in Canberra.
Despite all the problems with 3 tiers of Govt, Fed, State and Local,
having everything managed from Canberra or Melbourne or Sydney would be a total disaster where no one has any idea of what it's like out in the bush.
They don't have much of an idea now but one centralised Govt would be even worse..

Disco.
FollowupID: 810497

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 22:15

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 22:15
It'd be nice to have one set of rules though.

When I see some of the lifted vehicles around, you'd have to think that most of em would handle like a bucket of custard.

I'd reckon a national government, with local councils given slightly expanded responsibilities.
FollowupID: 810507

Follow Up By: SDG - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 23:10

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 23:10
We do have a National Rego system for interstate trucks, although with some companies, that has not been totally effective.
FollowupID: 810510

Sponsored Links