Airbags - Boss v Firestone

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 16:14
ThreadID: 106639 Views:9387 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I've been considering a set of airbags. In my research between Boss and Firestone and with particular attention to their warranties.

In the Boss spiel it states: “The benchmark has just been raised again in air suspension. Compare Our Air Bags The Airbag and plates are the heart of your suspension system. They determine the performance, the life cycle, the robustness and the safety of your investment. You can’t afford to take a risk so ask our competitors questions about their design and construction, get them to show you!
If you can’t get the answers that make you 100% comfortable its simple, don’t buy them. Its just not worth it!”

Whilst in the Firestone spiel it states: “The Air Spring is warranted for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle on which it was originally installed.”

Boss provide a 3 year warranty whilst as can be seen Firestone provied in esscence a lifetime.

As Boss state that the benchmark has just been raised again in air suspension one would think the warranty should also be improved.

So well over a week ago now I possed the question to Boss via their online enquiry system re their 3 years verses Firestones lifetime, to date with no reply so maybe one should take notice of the last sentence.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 16:52

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 16:52
I will be honest, I know nothing about Boss wasn't aware of the name/brand until I read your post.
I have fitted the Firestone air bags to my last four (4) Landcruisers. I have been 100% happy with my purchases & their performance.
I purchased all of the kits through www.michigantrucksprings.com delivery takes less than a week & are around half the price u pay for them here. Warranty has never been an issue as I have never had a problem..... just my experience AND I have no association this company
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528044

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:48
So Tony what type of Landcruiser/s? I'm wanting to fit to a 78 series so if you have the same what is the kit part number? Thanks
FollowupID: 810484

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:28

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:28
I had Firestone on my previous vehicle..no problems at all

I have fitted BOSS this time on new vehicle (LC79 5 years ago) still going strong ...no problems either.

The reason I decided on BOSS was basically at the time I was under the understanding that BOSS could be used with no air pressure in them (if that issue ever arose) whereas the Firestone warned about under inflation or the vehicle being jacked up with the suspension hanging.

BOSS assured me that the above Firestone warnings did not apply to their product.

I do recall that BOSS were quite tardy in any attempt to communicate with them back then...doesn't seem like that has changed....except when you order and spend a $...pretty quick then :)
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528047

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:43

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 17:43
Yes but bungarra your warranty with Boss expired 2 years ago.
FollowupID: 810483

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 19:34

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 19:34
I have the same ute as Bungarra with Boss air bags. Fitted in 2008 and still going strong with no problems.

I also have a Boss air compressor which did have a problem with the piston failing after 5 years. I contacted them and they sent me another one for a cheap price. So no problems with spare parts.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 810492

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:20

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:20
Remember what you have read was written by the advertising department and may have no relationship to reality....advertising spiel has little or no technical merit.

While the boss spiel is impressive....there is a technical and legal term for that sort of stuff..."puffery"...."I'm the best, I'm marvelous and everybody else is inferiour".
Sorry its nothing more than a cockrel strutting around feathers puffed up and chest pushed out.

They are claims and assertions that for good or bad the vast majority of customers will not test....and they know it.

As for warranty.....length of warranty is no indicator of quality....many top quality, market leading products have short warranties, while many cheap nasty unreliable items have very long warranties.....because they need to have a long warranty to placate the customer's well founded concerns of failure.

The truth of the matter is that regardless of quality, most genuinely warrantable claims will be in the first year of use.....the second year of warranty is pretty cheap to provide, the third even cheaper and so on.....by the fifth year the majory of users will have sold or discared the product, forgotten about the warranty or lost the required documents for a claim.
Remember most warranty .....all that is warranted is workmanship and materials.......by the time 3 years rolls around most failures will be from fair wear & tear, accidental damage or abuse........sucessfull and valid claims on long warranties are a rare thing indeed.
Believe me the manufacturers know this.

SO if you want to make a fair and usefull evaluation you need to look further into the various products.

NOW if you want an eye opener...pick up any of the trucking magazines, look at the diesel parts fliers or on line and you will see how little truckies are paying for very good air bags that carry about 10 tonnes a piece.......then you will see how the $WD business is having a lend of us big time.

cheers
AnswerID: 528051

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 22:08

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 22:08
.......then you will see how the $WD business is having a lend of us big time.

Yes you're not wrong there Bantam.
FollowupID: 810506

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:47

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:47
100% correct. Quite a few years ago I was after a Donaldson pre-cleaner for the top of the snorkel.

$WD shop wanted over $120. Picked up same item from Diesel Spares about $30 !!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 810542

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:23

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:23
Hi Rod,
2 x100 series & 2x 200 series have a look at www.lcool.org free to join or go to www.michigantrucksprings.com & have a look there.....I think u will have more joy if u do a search on LC site to find the correct kit for ur series...... Then go to www.michigantrucksprings.com to order product :-)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528052

Follow Up By: abqaiq - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 04:48

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 04:48
You might also look at Sumo Springs from U.S. Permanent air sealed in. All depends on what you want the suspension system to do.

No connection to SS just another option.

Think KISS principle!
FollowupID: 810513

Sponsored Links