oztent or blackwolf tent

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 23:56
ThreadID: 106649 Views:7077 Replies:15 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys and girls can someone give me some advice. i wish to get a tent preferably canvas but can go PVC but isn't it a bit low grade prone to tears, holes ect??? In my family we have two adults and 2 young children. can anyone point me in the right direction??

thanks in advance

Billy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - kwk56pt - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 01:33

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 01:33
Google Oz Tent condensation so you are aware of this potential concern. They do have a fly you can use but make yourself familiar with the number of pegs to put this on. My suggestion would to be to look at a good used southern cross trekker tent, its canvas, it breathes, its bulky so you need to be looking at how to transport it and heavy but reasonably easy to put up. If you buy well you can on sell it for little loss if you don't like it.
AnswerID: 528077

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:32

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:32
As far as your heading reads, out of the two tent mentioned, we looked at both brands when selecting ours.

The Oztent won for us with the quick erection and folding, plus the large awning that can be turned into extra enclosed living space with the addition of side panels.
The Black Wolf Turbo came with a video on how to erect and fold up again and the awning was pretty average.

But:-
The Oztent requires transporting on a roof rack. (No problem for us)
The Turbo, while more compact in length when folded, still takes up more valuable space in the back of a wagon, or similar.

Now, with two kiddies, I don't believe any of the two provides enough sleeping/living space.
The Oztent has a rather unique range of accessories, including the ability to join two Oztents together, with the two awnings joined together to give great living space in between, while the joiner provides a water runoff so none pools on top of the awnings.

But, two Oztents will add up to around the $2000 mark.

We love our Oztent, but there is only the two of us. The RV3 gives us sufficient room for a couple of swags, while the awning and peak side panels turn this space into living/cooking space during inclement weather. The vehicle simply backs up to the front of the awning, effectively "enclosing" everything off.
The RV5 may give you the extra space required for the kiddies to share the one tent, but only while they are young.

A touring or cabin style tent may overcome the space problem at a cheaper cost, but the effort of erecting and folding up will test your resolve.

Camping is generally about compromise so it just requires you to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each tent style, how much you are prepared to spend and accept any limitations or compromises you encounter.

Good luck with your choice.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810515

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:34

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:34
Whoops,

Should have been a reply to Billy, rather than a followup to kwk56pt.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 810516

Follow Up By: chisel - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:33

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:33
"Now, with two kiddies, I don't believe any of the two provides enough sleeping/living space."
Blackwolf have a range of sizes up to, well, enormous in the case of the 300 lite twin. So you can certainly fit a family of 4 in many of the larger blackwolf turbo tents.
FollowupID: 810548

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:30

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:30
Hi Billy

We have been camping for decades and over that time have had many types of tents.

People rave on continually about condensation in the Oztents and to be honest is very unfair.

Given the right conditions, any tent...yes even canvas will suffer from this. Years ago in Queensland in a very high quality canvas tent ( which would also take around 30 minutes to erect ) the inside of the tent was like having a shower, and the only way to stop it was to erect a very large Polly tarp over the tent as a fly....worked perfect.

Wanting to upgrade to a quicker tent, we went for the Oztents RV4 and yes it is all that they say and even better. Over on Kangaroo Island a couple of years ago, we were caught out one night with the most unreal, heavy rain. The rain did not let up at all, and poured for most of the night and next morning, camper trailers, caravans and other tents were like drowned rats........except us.

We never got one drop of water in the tent at all and there was even a water ring of over 3 cm around the complete outside of our tent, something that our old canvas tent would not have been able to cope with.

Our Oztents is by far the best tent that we have ever owned, and the add on options are perfect. No they are not a cheap tent, but look at it as a lifetime investment. And also for the record we also still have a Southern Cross tent in the shed now that is never used anymore.

Go the Oztent and you will not regret your lifetime investment.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 528083

Follow Up By: slave - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:32

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:32
Love our Oztent too.

We borrowed one for the kids when we crossed the Simpson which they put up and down on their own. It was so good that purchased our own. Now that the kids are unable to travel with us we take it when we go away giving us the option of using it and the swag or the swag on its own depending on weather or length of stay

Mrs S
FollowupID: 810679

Reply By: utekid2 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:45

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:45
thanks to both you guys. so the oz tent sounds the go but now what size RV4 or RV5 our kids are 2 and one to be born in june. but in saying that id rather go the next size up for when they get larger and older
AnswerID: 528087

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:00

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:00
Hi folks
We explored both options in detail and went for the Black Wolf, which is just as easy to erect and has the advantage of folding small enough to fit in the canopy rather than having to travel on the roof.
As to quality, I think both are excellent. We've had no problems with the Black Wolf even in ferocious weather, and the same can be said for friends who have he OzTent.
One benefit of the Black Wolf design is that there do seem to be better options for extra space which would suit your family arrangements - out daughter bought one with that in mind.
Enjoy your travels
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528089

Follow Up By: utekid2 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:14

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:14
thanks wildmax
what size did she rest on? also how many in the family
FollowupID: 810529

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:39

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:39
Ours is the turbo 2.1, only small because we just use it on short trips when without the camper trailer. Daughter's I think is 2.4, but it came with an extra room that zipped on - at this stage the dog is the other occupant !!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810531

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:27

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:27
Another Blackwolf fan here.......and I say that having travelled extensively these last 3-4 years and camped maybe.....90-100 nights in some very very remote areas, plus beach areas....so not just someone who has seen the advertisements.

There are 3 other couples we do our remote area stuff with 2 have Oztents and 2 have Blackwolfs, I started with a small one (FS270) and now have a FS300 with extension (PLENTY big enough for a family).

Here's my views,

Oztents are longer and need to go on the roof, cannot fit inside a fourby.
Both of my Blackwolfs fitted across my Toyota Prado

The Oztent is heavier (and thus more difficult because of the roof deal)
The FS270 (only good for 2) is very light, the FS300 with extension is only just lighter than the Oztent.

The Oztent (and this does depend on which one) is a lot smaller inside than my Blackwolf...and I mean a LOT.....there's extensions and extra's for the Oztent but that just adds hugely to the cost.

The base Oztent set up probably takes a minute, the full set up seems to take about 30 mins.
I can set my Blackwolf up fully in less than 5 mins, and without the fly (often not needed) in about 2.

The Oztent, especially if you get the bells and whistles is bloody expensive....when I looked about $1200
I bought my Blackwolf FS270 for $700, but then sold it to a mate and bought the bigger one (which I found on special for $799).....it was around $400-$500 less.

As to keeping out the rain, dew.....I imagine they are both pretty good but never have I had an issue with the BW, and yes we have been through some decent rain and BIG storms!!

Sorry for the long winded post but hope it helps
AnswerID: 528094

Reply By: ChristaJezz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:35

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:35
G'day Billy,

Went through the process a few months ago. After about 12mths of research we ended up with the Black Wolf Turbo 300, with superfly and screen room. Just returned from three weeks using the tent and couldn't be happier. Two mins to put up the tent, five mins for the normal fly, fifteen for the superfly. Black Wolf have thought of everything and all fixtures appear very high quality.

If we were staying overnight we just put up the tent, if we were staying a few days we put up everything. They even fit in the bags provided when packing up without too much drama. The superfly takes some practise to put up correctly but it's worth it for the extra space. The tent weighs a bit so take this into consideration if its going up on the roof, it just fits side ways into a Toyota Prado.

We would have loved an additional window in the back of the tent for ventilation but other than that we couldn't fault the design. Being able to stand everywhere inside the tent if a bonus.

We had a manufacturing fault with the screen which Black Wolf bent over backwards to help us with. After spending so much money on a tent we were disappointed, but their aftersales service was so impressive we wouldn't hesitate to buy again as the tent is that good.

Sorry can't help with any real world experience with the Oz tent, but in my research both these brands had great reviews.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
AnswerID: 528097

Reply By: utekid2 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:52

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:52
thanks guys whys the difference between the pvc type blackwolf and canvas one? id imagine the canvas would be better but am i wrong?
AnswerID: 528100

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:24

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:24
Gidday

I have a canvas blackwolf turbo 240. the main difference between that and the matching poly tent would be weight --- 19.5kg v 13.4kg.
The equivalent lite also has a different awning arrangement.
The poly may be less durable in the long term.

Cheers
FollowupID: 810536

Reply By: Albany Nomads - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:10

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:10
Another vote for the oztent
We also use it to attach to the side of our van with the use of the awning attachment
Makes a great extra room off the side of the van , only takes seconds to put up and a great place to hide your tables and chairs when heading out for the day or room for the porta loo

Also the advantages as a stand alone tent if needed
AnswerID: 528101

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:58

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:58
I have turned my back on both to be honest.

We were travelling with 4 adults and one Cub camper so the tent was our second bedroom.

I looked at both before I bought the black wolf turbo, simply because the OZ tent was so long.
Black Wolf was easy to set up but a bugger to fold up and never went back in the bag until after the trip ( 30 seconds to erect - 30 minutes to get back in the bag!)

To be honest I have put the Black Wolf on the market and gone back to the old 4 person dome tent. It takes a few minutes to put up but once you fiddle with the Black Wolf fly the time is negligible. It is bigger inside than both, lighter to carry and load than both, reasonably compact as it is only takes a mid size duffle bag to hold it and a darn side cheaper to boot.

True, both the tents in the title are quick to put up but they are both small inside and heavy to load. The dome takes a bit longer to put up but is a simple one person job, light to carry and big inside as well as cheap. It doesn't leak either.
AnswerID: 528125

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:47

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:47
Gidday coldee

A coldee is sometimes what I need after folding the blackwolf turbo240!

It is a challenge but it gets easier with practice and I have found the key is not to rush it.

Seems to be a common thread with all kinds of camping gear. The advertising always focuses on the easy set up, never the folding up and putting way.

Cheers
FollowupID: 810574

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 22:55

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 22:55
I've had both the RV 5 and now have a Black Wolf 240 lite "should have got the 300" and think the Black Wolf is the better out of the two and no harder to pack up then the OZ Rv5.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 810594

Reply By: Member - ironJosh - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:38

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:38
I had just left Burrells outdoors in Toowoomba were I was looking at both of them. I pulled up at the lights next to a guy that had one on the back of his ute. I said "mate- how long you had that tent?" he said "I bought it well before the last time the blues won a state of origin series"

I figured it was at least a decade old. So I bought one. RV5 with all accessories.

Don't worry about condensation... Whats the worst that could happen? At least if you have to set it up at home to air it out its only gonna take you a minute or two.

Josh
AnswerID: 528131

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 23:08

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 23:08
Billly, take the wife and two children to the camping shop and sit in both the tents and try to imagine how it would be on the trail. Like wise try and think how you will transport the tent and what requirements are needed. The oztent needs a 2m roof rack. The black wolf will fold up to go in the rear of a wagon but is still a sizable heavy package and what has to give way to get it in. I know when we travelled with our young children we needed the kitchen sink. In those days we had a large tent...which was fondly called the divorce tent. I reckon it came close. We now have an Oz tent RV4 which we have had for many years and has been terrific for camps that are on the move each day as it is super easy to put up BUT it's cosy for me and the wife and would be a tight fit for two more..even children.
I would go with the choice that gives you a little bit more room on the ground provided it's still quick and easy to put up.
During our travels we also had a safari style tent (now in the garage), had good room inside and was fairly easy to put up from memory. Didn't continue with it as the front verandah gave very little rain/sun protection.
Good luck with your choice.
AnswerID: 528152

Follow Up By: YoungCampingFamily - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:34

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:34
Totally agree with this ^
We have just purchased 2 Oztent RV5s and the selling point for us was being able to zip them together to give us a 2.4 x 4m space between the 2 rooms that we can use as kitchen/dining/living area whether it is hot or cold. I personally think the Oztents give more flexibility in configurations and add-ons than the Black Wolf. Our kids are 9 and 5 (both girls) and they can't wait til they get to try out their new tent next month. Until now we started with a one room 6 man tent with front vestibule, then 2 room 8 man tent and now 2 joined tents. We are looking at this as a 10+ year investment and figure that while they (and we) want to be close now, eventually they may want to pitch their tent at the opposite end of camp to us! We opted for 2 full sized tents as then they are both "instant" and it doubles the under cover living area (or if you went with a tag-along you could buy an extra zip on front awning too but I don't know that you could enclose that section).
I recommend seeing both and thinking about your use for them. Where do you cook? Where do you eat? What will you do if it rains for days on end? What bedding do you use? How will you transport them?
For us the size was dependent on being able to fit our "anywhere" bed and the kids stretcher/bunks. If you use 4WD mats or air beds it's not such an issue. We were already planning on buying a trailer to transport all our gear so the tents will go in there. We also like that we can use the trailer independent of camping, and should we want a weekend getaway we could fit them in the car with a rear seat folded down at a pinch (but unlikely to do that).
I guess no equipment is perfect for everyone but it's about trying to find you best fit.
FollowupID: 811093

Reply By: Maz66 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 02:35

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 02:35
Hi Billy
We have th Oztent RV4 plus the add on extra room that hangs of the awning setup of the tent it's self is v quick and pack up also it just rolls up and goes back into the bag. It is heavy and as others have said has to go onto the roof. We used this combination (RV4 plus tag along and peaked side panels for the middle awning) for two years before upgrading to a Kimberly Kamper and loved it although the full setup would take about 30 mins (we travel with 3 kids so needed the space. Re condensation yes they do get this in colder weather in the south west but we found if you either uses the fly which zips on or we used a piece of bubble wrap silver lined insulation there was no condensation issues

In summary just the tent v quick to set up and pack up plus the tag along takes some time but gives heaps of room
Heavy
Very robust with easy access to spare parts (our first one got mangled by a willy willy in the Murchison and I managed to resurrect it as a spare to zip onto a new one covered by house and contents insurance!! As sporting goods) that are quite cheap
RV4,is roomy enough for 2 full size single stretchers with walkway in the middle
Another option is just go for the RV4 plus 3,side panels and the floor for the annex. (Go for the peaked side panels as they give better feeling of space )

Sorry for the ramble but they are a great tent we moved to the KK as I wanted easier setup with all the peripheral gear like kitchen etc. we still use one for the kids together with the KK which is v quick as we don't need to do awning etc just pop up plus 6 pegs for th floor

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528164

Reply By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 16:24

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 16:24
In relation to the folding of the BW, my wife and I mastered it and do it literally in a couple of minutes. I travelled last year with a mate who had one and noticed at the first pack up he was struggling (and he had owned the tent for two years), we went over and showed him how its done and fair dinkum he nearly shat himself....the next day he also did it in 2 mins.

This I think will end up a bit like the old "what's better Coopers, BFG or Micky Thompson".....those with Oztents will vote for them and those with Black Wold will vote for them.

But having done the Canning Stock Route last year, and camping for 7 weeks straight I got to see how long it took for both tents to go up and be pulled down, you want speed choose BW.

I also saw the two with the Oztents struggling to get theirs on the roof whilst me and the other guy shoved ours in the back.

So take form that what you will!!
AnswerID: 528195

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 17:35

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 17:35
I have used both, we originally had a BW 300 plus Lite, it is a great tent and can be put up including the fly in just a few minutes. The newer ones have a bigger front awning which is a plus and they can be carried inside the car. It is also nice to be able to stand up and get dressed.

We also have two Oztents, the RV1 and RV5, they are not as big internally as the BW, they can be put up in a minute and packed away just as fast. But they are long and need to go on the roofrack, the bag is not waterproof either.

We now have a camper trailer, but if I had to use a tent again, it would be a Black Wolf, hands down.
Packing it into the bag can be a real pain, why they don't make the bag slightly bigger is beyond me. I would have a canvas bag made for it, that way it will be really easy to pack away and it can either go inside or outside when travelling.

If I had to do it with a family like yours and money permitting, I would have the Black Wolf Turbo plus 300 and the extra walls.
This gives you plenty of room, we had a queen sized air mattress and still had plenty of room for our gear. It is also nice to be able to stand up and get dressed. As the kids get older, you could get them an RV1, 2 or 3.
AnswerID: 528200

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:58

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:58
I'm a bit of a believer that neither is THE best option. If you are putting up and taking down daily, with minimal gear, then they both have merits. For the majority of stops (even 1 day stops where you are there for most of the day) you save about ten minutes maximum putting up and down. Hardly a big chunk of your day. For that saving you get an expensive, small, sometimes poorly ventilated (I'm looking at you, Oztent) option.

Most of the pack up and down time is in other gear, such as tables, stoves, bedding etc. For an extra ten minutes you can have a dual room, well ventilated dome tent which gives a great sitting and and cooking space, for far less dollars and weight. Not saying there are some benefits to either, but good marketing and a reluctance of owners to admit they purchased a lesser option often add to a reputation.

I erected our Coleman twin room (3.6x3.6m main, well ventilated screen room and smaller bedroom) tent in exactly eight minutes more than the couple next to us at Weipa erected there Black Wolf. We spent a comfortable three nights while they had a somewhat cramped couple of evenings sitting inside avoiding the mozzies.

And yes, I'e used both Oztent and Black Wolf (borrowed or used with friends) on occasion.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 528223

Sponsored Links