Somewhere to leave the vans while doing the Simpson

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 13:54
ThreadID: 106656 Views:1922 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have done searches on this with no luck. Sure it will have been covered but I cant find any threads.
We are doing the trip 2015 and all of the group tow either off road campers or vans and no we are not planning to tow them across!!! But we are looking for any advice or experience others might have had for somewhere safe to leave them.
The plan is to drop them "somewhere" and do the loop travelling north on the Odnadatta then the Simpson, Walkers Track to Innamincka then back to where we will have left the towed vehicles.
Obviously Maree or Lyndhurst would work and I guess the caravan parks there might offer storage but maybe there are other options.
Would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has done this.
Thanks
Rusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 14:15

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 14:15
Hi Rusty

There is a Community Run Caravan Park in Leigh Creek, with a fare bit a free space. There is always a caretaker manager on site.

Perhaps you could get in contact with them, as I feel they could be more secure there than Marree.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528109

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 15:58

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 15:58
Give Kevin Dawes a call at Farina Station & ask him nicely if you can leave them there, we left ours close to the homestead.

AnswerID: 528112

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 16:02

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 16:02
We did the Simpson with 3 vehicles in 2012, and left our campers at the caravan park at Marree (not at the pub; the other park). No troubles, and cost us next to nothing for the couple of weeks - we went up the Oodnadatta, across the Simpson and then down the Birdsville to collect the van. Then hitched up and went back up the Strezlecki to Innaminka. Obviously the decent thing to do is spend a night or two at the caravan park at each end of your trip.
Enjoy the journey - it was fantastic.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528113

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:06

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:06
There is a caravan park at Copley too if the other suggestions don't work out..... there, as in a lot of these outback places, space to park a few extra vans seems no issue; there is often acres of it.
AnswerID: 528117

Reply By: Teraa - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 00:07

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 00:07
Ring Lyle at the Marree Post Office he'll look after you.
I just found Leigh Creek and Copley a bit dear.
AnswerID: 528231

Sponsored Links