Between port Augusta and coober pedi

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 18:10
ThreadID: 106673 Views:3289 Replies:10 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at traveling between port Augusta and coober pedi and was wondering about fuel stops along the way if any and also free camping ao caravan parks .
Can some one please advise us of what we are about to get into
Cheers
Tim and win
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 18:51

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 18:51
Hi Win A,

Fuel at Pimba just out of Woomera and Glendambo. There are plenty of places to free camp along the way, suggest Lake Heart.
AnswerID: 528206

Follow Up By: Member - blackbird1937 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:35

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:35
Lake Hart is a salt lake and was also a launch site for rockets in the Woomera rocket era. There are many free as well as van parks between Pt Augusta and The Alice. 253 kms from Glendambo to Cadney Park is the longest stretch between fuel stops.
FollowupID: 810688

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 08:24

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 08:24
That is not a stretch without fuel. Fuel is available at Coober Pedy.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810693

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 18:54

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 18:54
Have a look at a map, such as Google Map.
It is only 540km along the Stuart Highway. Glendambo is about half way and has a road house and 2 van parks.
AnswerID: 528207

Follow Up By: Member - Win A - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:02

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:02
We did look at a map no need to be rude
FollowupID: 810702

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:25

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:25
Sorry Tim but this is an answer that you could easily have worked out yourself if you had just looked at a map.

That's what I do for every trip I take. Not only does it give me the fuel stops it also gives me a good idea of the trip where any rest stops are and what is there to see.

Phil
AnswerID: 528210

Follow Up By: baz&pud (tassie) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:42

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:42
Hey PJR
That's a bit harsh, isn't it, you have to realise Win A is from Tassie.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810653

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:54

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:54
Isn't this the purpose of a forum Phil, for people to ask & answer questions?

Reading maps is grade 2 stuff Phil, it's not special & it doesn't make you (or me) special because we can read maps.

These are people who haven't done this trip before, full of excitement & anticipation at the trip head & are looking for some advice from like minded people who HAVE done this trip before.

I'm wondering if you can remember what it was like when YOU were like they are now Phil, because we were all new at this travelling caper once.

I have a friend who will be 91 soon & in her earlier days travelled all over this wide brown land, to many more places than you or me. She is always ready to have a good chin wag with me about what I am up to & where I'm going.

Food for thought mate?
FollowupID: 810657

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 20:22

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 20:22
Nope. Not too rough. Did either of you read what else I said. I think not. I bet Win did though.

Just asking us for fuel stops doesn't get anywhere near the information that a map will give you. And then you will get the "dont race and stop to look at the roses etc etc". What roses. No one ever mentions them. But a map says it every time.

Kevin: For your information when I was new to touring I purchased a map and read it.

Even for our first trip which was to The Kimberley. I never asked the forums. I purchased the maps and got heaps of brochures sent to me from the various tourist offices and spoke them. The real locals. Not "blow ins". (apologies to the regulars) . Forums aren't the be all end end all. Besides a map can go with you in the car. The internet and forums can't always do that. We never take the internet with us.

Phil
FollowupID: 810665

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 20:30

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 20:30
Sometimes what's written isn't actually what the person wants to know. I'm sure we can all look at a map, but the map doesn't tell us what the best place to stop or fill up at are. Pretty much all questions asked on the forum are really asking for peoples recommendations for and against different places. That's how I view it anyway, but I could be wrong.
FollowupID: 810670

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:01

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:01
"Even for our first trip which was to The Kimberley. I never asked the forums. I purchased the maps and got heaps of brochures sent to me from the various tourist offices and spoke them. The real locals. Not "blow ins". (apologies to the regulars) . Forums aren't the be all end end all. Besides a map can go with you in the car. The internet and forums can't always do that. We never take the internet with us."

Phil, this is a forum! It's where people come to ask questions & hopefully get informative answers. Maybe it's not how you did it, but that's the modern world & why the forum exists mate.

Phil, I've been doing trips like your Kimberley trip you speak of for over 40 years, but I still love coming on here & reading (& learning) about all kinds of things.

Like most people who've been there I don't ask questions about the various areas that people often do, but I've been there. Usually more than thrice. So when people ask, I reply.

I don't know you, you're probably a nice bloke, it would be nice to hear some positive stuff from you.

;=)
FollowupID: 810676

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 22:09

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 22:09
Kevin

I was polite and non offensive in my initial answer to Tim. Then you come the heavy. Not interested.

Cheers

Phil

PS. I click "Forum" at the top of this page.
FollowupID: 810680

Follow Up By: Member - Win A - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:03

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:03
Thanks for the links
FollowupID: 810703

Follow Up By: KevinE - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 15:40

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 15:40
Polite & non offensive? Maybe you meant to be, but it's not how you come across to me at least.

I just re-read what I wrote & can't see what was heavy, but maybe you see it that way.

Feel free to ignore my posts & I'll ignore yours, I am definitely not interested either.
FollowupID: 810730

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 16:07

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 16:07
Kevin

I wasn't talking to you when I said that.

I am sick and tired of treading gingerly carefully around egos and all the poor soles who just cant take a straight answer. Even spelling a name incorrectly will upset some. I accidently typed "G4" one day instead of "4G" and bloody hell it was third world war.

Personally I got a hell of a lot from maps and then asked people to clarify things and bring me up to date.

That is all that I wanted Win to do.

Win I hope you see through this stupidity and see why I said to get a good map. Enjoy the drive mate. We have done it many times. Even did it on the train once with the car down the rear.

Actually we will up that way again in July.

Phil
FollowupID: 810733

Follow Up By: Member - Win A - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 21:26
PJR I find you extremely rude as Kevin said this is what the forum is for and I didn't pay money to be put down by a wanker like you and FYI I have maps of every state and I still will ask my questions so if you don't like it don't flipping awnser any off them .
Thank you Kevin for your help your a true traveling friend thank you again
Cheers
Win
FollowupID: 810771

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 22:42

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 22:42
Well then I apologise. That's why my very first word was "Sorry".

FollowupID: 810781

Reply By: KevinE - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:40

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:40
Hi Tim & Win,

If you fill up at Pt. Augusta & stop for a break at Glendambo, that's probably the best place to top up with fuel.

I would recommend that you don't try to go the whole way between Pt. Augusta & Coober Pedy between filling up. 9 times out of 10 you can do it without any problems. We've done it several times, but then there was the time we were driving into a strong headwind & the fuel light came on at dusk about 80KM south of Coober Pedy! Scary stuff! Driving at 70 kmh on the highway & praying lol! We made it in, but could easily not have.

Thinking back to the first time we went up there & it was all new to us, what an adventure! I hope it's as much fun for you too!

Nowadays my wife finds the Stuart Hwy boring (I still don't), so I try my best to go different ways where I can.

Have a great time, you'll love it! ;)

Cheers,

Kevin.

AnswerID: 528212

Follow Up By: Member - Win A - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:00

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:00
Thank you Kevin it's nice to here from some one that is not so rude we applicate your help
Cheers
Win and Tim
FollowupID: 810701

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 20:55

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 20:55
The Stuart is a great drive folks.... you are 'getting into' having a good time. Stopping at the roadhouses and walking round for 10 minutes is the smart thing to do; as mentioned, Pimba and Glendambo are the fuel stops. While at Pimba, keep in mind that Woomera is only 5 minutes up the Roxby road - worth a look at the missile park and interpretive centre there. There are plenty of gazetted rest areas on the Stuart - they are quite popular as overnight stops and many have informative displays advising all sorts of facts about the region - while most are quite exposed to the weather, plenty of travellers still use them.
There is a PDF file of the Roadside Rest Area Guide for SA here that may be of interest. Once downloaded, scroll down and look for the strip maps - there is one for the Stuart.
AnswerID: 528216

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:33

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:33
Hi Win,

Coming from Tassie you will find the road north from Port Augusta very different from what you are used to - the country out there is vast and relatively empty, except for the traffic on the road. I assume that you have paper maps for your journey, as good ones (like the Hema Road and 4WD Atlas that you can get through the EO shop) will give you the information you seek, plus a lot more. Once you get away from populated areas with phone reception, paper maps are a pretty essential item, especially as a back-up if for some reason your navigation system fails.

Have a look on Google Earth too, to get a different view of the country. Also have a look at PLaces (in the blue bar across the top of this page) for more useful information. Or just click any place name in a post that is underlined and you will be taken straight to that "Place".

AS others have said, there is fuel at Pimba and Glendambo. Its a good plan when travelling in the outback to top up (with fuel and water) at every opportunity, even if you think you have enough fuel to get you to your next scheduled stopover. Maybe less likely on the Stuart, but when only a little bit more off the beaten track you cant always assume that the fuel tanker has arrived on time. Also as others have pointed out, if you run into a headwind it can play havoc with fuel predictions.

I find it hard to understand how some folk find roads like the Stuart H'way and the Nullarbor boring. They are different but there is still a lot to see, though the changes in the landscape can be gradual and subtle. Woomera and even Roxby Downs are not far off the highway and definitely worth a visit.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528219

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:45

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 21:45
If you have a Smartphone, Android or iphone, download the app Wikicamps. For $2.99 (from memory) there is a wealth of information, maps, Satellite compass & finder, checklist and of course heaps and heaps of free camps with descriptions, photos in a lot of cases and reviews by campers.

You don't HAVE to be in phone range as offline maps & info is available.
AnswerID: 528221

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 23:26

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 23:26
Not sure what you are driving (or towing), but instead of just going up the Stuart Hwy from Port Augusta to Coober Pedy, why not consider going via Hawker to the fantastic Wilpena Pound.
And then you could go out via Leigh Creek to Marree and William Creek and on to Coober Pedy. Much more interesting drive, some interesting camp spots like Farina and Coward Springs etc, and you'd get to do a bit of the Oodnadatta Track and see Lake Eyre.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528228

Reply By: Teraa - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 00:03

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 00:03
Coming from Tassie you'll probably think it's cool I did at first a couple of trips it gets a bit boring. Not sure if anyone has been to Glendambo lately but last time I was there it was yucky but things can change. I like that roadhouse before Wommera, I think it's called Spuds wild and wooley like the outback should be are they still there ?
AnswerID: 528230

Follow Up By: Member - blackbird1937 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:23

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:23
The roadhouse you refer to as Spuds was still at Pimba Nov 2013. Spud who built the Pimba roadhouse, owned a roadhouse and van park at Stuart's Well Northern Territory Nov 2013. I rode a M/bike on my own 16000 kms around Oz in 05, also 12000 kms including from Darwin to Pt Augusta via Uluru in 06 just by looking at a map to check fuel stops. I tented the trips. I have never needed a GPS to help me find my way. A paper map is all that is needed.
FollowupID: 810687

Follow Up By: Teraa - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 07:38

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 07:38
Yeah but maps don't tell you about yucky toilets that you have to pay to use. I have been involved in a few visitor destinations and can see the misinformation and have never had a mapping company contact me to update their information. Like Glendambo could be nice and clean now I am going for a trip up that way soon so I'd love to know or I'll go to spuds.
FollowupID: 810691

Follow Up By: Jos - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:45

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:45
Spuds is still there. Just did the drive from Port Augusta to Woomera this week.
Win A - just be very cautious of the cattle, sheep and wildlife that cross this stretch of road, especially if driving at dusk.
FollowupID: 810706

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:03

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:03
Plus 1 for Spuds. He fixed a minor problem that could have turned major for me and wouldn't take payment. I always buy something there now.
FollowupID: 810811

Reply By: The Bunyip - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05
Win A,

Sounds like you've more than enough info on where to fuel & where to stop.

My comment is more an observation than anything but here it goes.

I've been all over Australia & can honestly say that the stretch from Glendambo to Coober Pedy is the most dull & boring piece of bitumen I've ever driven on. Have heard it's much the same until the NT Border. Driving across the Nullarbor was a joy in comparison.

If you've the time detour to Kingoonya & have a beer at the pub. From what I can see online it's open & looks like a great place to stop.

If all goes as planned my family & I will head to these parts later next year.
(I plan holidays a long time in advance & leave nothing to chance!!)
AnswerID: 528240

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 02:02

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 02:02
While the stretch from Glendambo to CP may have some very open countryside, it isn't representative of the whole route to the NT border, and in itself has its own attractiveness, IMHO. I've been over the whole route many times, including many trips when it was dirt all the way from the NT border to Pimba. Only once have I found it to be boring, and that was my first trip after they destroyed the route by bitumising it:-( In many trips since then, even doing it solo, there's been many changes in scenery due to rain that have created temporary water areas for birds and wild flowers that have enhanced some trips. Sometimes it's hot and very dry, on others it's been rain all the way from CP to Erldunda and sometimes it's down to minus temps at night.
North of Pt Augusta there's quite a few few rest stops with the best being the scenic Ranges View (with toilets), the area leading up to and including the Island Lagoon scenic stop. Then there's Pimba and Spuds Roadhouse (food, fuel, toilets and showers in the free rest area next to it (donation can be made)). Next there's the Lake Hart rest area for a great overnight especially with water on the lake (no toilets and like a lot of areas, take some fly nets). On to Glendambo for 2 roadhouses, pub, motel and camping area next to it. Between there and CP there are a few rest areas but only Bon Bon has toilets. On this last point, from seeing the state of non settlement rest stop toilets and the toilet related rubbish at most stops in the bushes I'd stick to the roadhouse ones, carry your own or put a dab of Vicks etc under the nose.
FollowupID: 810790

Sponsored Links