Campers rubbish

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:47
ThreadID: 106678 Views:2241 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
While waiting to go on air yesterday I was flipping through the pages of the Central West Daily newspaper and came across this report. I have not been over there for a while so I'm not sure exactly where this camp area is , or it could be hyped up by locals that don't want campers near the lake.

Lake Canobolas tainted by camping area

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:11

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:11
Doug,

I know this stuff always sparks passionate debate but ity’s timely as I was very much feeling like posting myself.

Vik and I decided we’d get away on the weekend and head out to the Lerdederg State Forest for a night in the bush….ahhh the serenity. Being the long weekend my usual favourite haunts on Amber Lane were chockers so we pushed on into the forest and ended up finding a nice little spot at the end of a sharp spur. A steep decent bought us into a lovely little clearing on a now dry creek. Should have been perfect except for the amount of rubbish left round by inconsiderate and uncaring pricks. Half empty stubbies, foil wrappers, cans and worst of all, half a dozen bleep ty nappies just rolled and thrown into a nearby wombat hole. Not all of them mind you.

I am incredulous at the personal standards some people maintain. Bugger me how hard is it to do the right thing. As it was I carried out half a chaff bag of other peoples rubbish to Blackwood. I was fuming.

Interestingly enough one of the campers left behind some personal property with clear identification so. Hopefully the EPA will follow it up thoroughly and the good people of Victoria may have some satisfaction.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528242

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:24

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:24
Yes it's a disgrace to our country, I won't go into the nappies or I'll loose my life membership...lol.
I have been to USA back in 1998 & 2000 and last year beautiful Germany and the rest area's are just fantastic, and clean. in Wyoming USA way out in the middle of nowhere you stop at a rest area, it had Carols playing , a coke machine, and a TV screen in the wall for snow/weather reports, to enter you go through GLASS doors, I often think just how long it would last out there between Kulgera and Marla, at the Border, my guess would be less than a week it would be trashed beyond use.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810719

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:02

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:02
Gday
I had a warm discussion with Ranger Smith some years back about the mess we had made in our camping spot. I asked him how long he had been observing us and he said about two hrs. My reply was ' if you have been there that long you would have seen us arrive an hour ago and the mess was here when we arrived. Maybe you should have talked to the people that had just left before we arrived '.....He threatened me with a $10,000-00 fine and I said go ahead ,Ranger Smith backed off very quickly...
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810723

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:04

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:04
Good on you Mick
Hope they get a bloody big fine - but somehow doubt it.
Have lost count of number of times we've had to clean up other bleep s' crap.
I doubt that the problem of littering will ever be solved.

Interesting comments Doug re comparison to OS areas.
FollowupID: 810724

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:07

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:07
Mick,
Curious! What were You going to "light in the bush"?
LOL.

Mike.
FollowupID: 810743

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:45

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:45
Bloody auto correct! ;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810751

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:08

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:08
Hi Doug,

This is all too often becoming the norm.
I suggest we all collect some of the rubbish left behind by others when we camp somewhere if only to keep these facilities open, besides it sets an example and you never know, it may rub off.

The alternative is that these areas will all be closed as councils have not intention nor do they have the funds to maintain a lot of these out of town locations.

It is only a small minority causing all the problems and while it is in the main some of the younger generations there are more than a few old pigs out there too.

Some peoples standards have slipped beyond belief these days. It is the bugger you jack attitude, and don't dare chip them about it.

I reckon if someone is caught then the authorities should confiscated their camper or car or caravan or whatever and that would be the last they saw of it. It calls for desperate measures to bring these fools to heel.

Fining offenders does nothing these days.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528245

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:14

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:14
G'day Bruce, yeh Confiscation , you go and raid a native bird nest or catch to many or wrong type of fish and see what happens to your vehicle, and it don't matter if it's a $500,000 Kenworth, it's gone.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810725

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:30

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:30
Ahh now, having read the article I can see the specific problem and it is a wholly different story. I also agree with the sentiments in the article.

This puts a specific spotlight directly on this particular problem.

Seasonal workers are the problem here, not regular campers or grey nomads or the younger generations in the general community.

Now this is also happening nearly everywhere seasonal workers are required.

I spoke to a chap at Jackadgery Rest Area on the way back home in November when returning from Queensland. He said that he lived at Stanthorpe and went on to say that the backpackers working as seasonal fruit pickers had made a very bad name for themselves up there by camping in all the rest areas and free camps. He said they leave rubbish everywhere and generally make the whole area look very untidy. He was disgusted with them and further said that the whole town of Stanthorpe had had a gutful of them.

I can vouch for that as I stopped at the Dalveen rest area and free camp just north of Stanthorpe on the way down and that was the case there also.
I had a high regard for the rest stop at Dalveen but that is now out the window as far as we are concerned.

Now in my opinion the problem belongs to these farmers who hire these backpackers and seasonal workers and the farmers should be made to have camping facilities set aside on their properties for such workers. This is the problem, they don't. It should be a condition of their being allowed to hire such people, that they accommodate the needs of such workers by setting aside areas for them.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810726

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:34

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:34
The back-packers cause a major headache for authorities in Darwin too, they camp and foul the areas alond the beaches.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810727

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:55

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 14:55
I am a firm believer in the athletes creed Doug, "No Pain No Gain"

A thousand dollar fine is nothing these days, it is to you or me but plenty of people these days spend that on a weekend or a night out, apparently, so what good can that thousand dollar fine do.

I say take their pride and joy away from them and see how they feel about that. But catch them in the act first or you could be hanging the wrong person of course.

Actually Doug, I never twigged what was happening at Dalveen other than the place looked untidy and the campers beside me got up, dressed, generally messed around for about half an hour then took off leaving their tent errected. I thought what was that about???.

Then as I headed to the toilets I past a couple of fellows sitting at the picnic tables eating what looked like egg soup, some sort of soup with an egg dropped in it, and when I asked them how they were going they looked blankly at me. I heard them speak and it sounded somewhat like German but I could not be sure. They were backpackers also getting set for the day ahead. I think they were in a bongo type van or something, certainly they were not in a tent.

Now these people should have been accommodated at some location on one of the farms. It would not take much to set it up. Two loos, his and hers, two basic shower facilities and a rough sort of camp kitchen. That would have been better than what was on offer at Dalveen for them.

How much would that cost the farmers, "sweet fanny adams" but then they would have the problem in their backyard I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, if I was employing seasonal workers I would have a camp set up here for them no trouble. It is not that difficult.
So there are no excuses, other than the hoary old insurance ones which have been done to death.

Re fouling beaches Doug, it does not matter to them, they are moving on in a week.

Joe used to tell me that you got severely fined in Germany if you so much as washed your car in the street. That is why it is so clean and maybe we need to start doing something along those lines here.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810728

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:27

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:27
Hi Bruce,

My guess is that if a farmer wanted to set up a proper camp facility on his farm he would have to jump through all sorts of hoops festooned with red tape. Otherwise the farmers would be making it easy for their workers and maybe even cashing in on the camping facility by letting grey nomads use it in the off-season.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810749

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:25

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:25
Hi Val,
I agree re the bloody red tape. That is the trouble with this country, we are drowning in red tape, or should I say choking on it.

Our competitors do not have to deal with it, so much for the level playing field. Nor are they hounded by OH&S or whatever its new name is.

In China, so I have been told, they get two weeks leave a year, unpaid, and lookout if you take any longer.

The comment from the Chinese supplier, after hearing that Australian workers get 4 weeks paid leave each year and a loading on top, was "You can't make money doing like that Johnie".

Either way it is still the responsibility of the farmers to arrange accommodation or facilities under these circumstances where itinerant workers are concerned.

On another point re farmers
I believe that many a farmer struggling through the drought could do a lot worse than cash in on the Grey Nomad economy. It would be a source of much needed income and hopefully keep the wolves from the door for them.

This is what was done along the Hawkesbury River near Sydney back in the 60s. They could not make money sending their produce to Sydney so they got into camping along their river frontages. They called it recreation farming and I could think of a lot worse enterprises to get into.

We are all looking for somewhere to camp far from the madding crowd and what better camp site that one that helps someone in need.

I feel for those poor buggers I can tell you. As a neighbour said to me one day, Feeding cattle is like standing out in the back paddock tearing up $100 dollar bills. He sure is right. I heard one lady farmer on Ian Macnamaras show the other week say they had spent $40,000 that week alone on feed. I guess they were lucky they even found some to buy.

Great way to see the superannuation disappear.
No wonder the kids prefer the city life.

Rant over.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810756

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 15:47

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 15:47
We have much the same problem here in WA in the stop over and free/cheap camping areas.
With the amount of deliberately lit bushfires DEC or DPaW looked at installing hidden cameras at certain trouble spots to record these little, and sometimes not so little, arsewipes in action to possibly identify and apprehend a few of them.
Not sure how practical this would be in the areas named.
As with the rubbish dumpers it's most probably a few that are the main offenders.
If some identifying feature or car rego could be obtained, followed by a good stiff fine just maybe it might make a few of them rethink their actions.
From what I have read a lot of fines are just being ignored and I guess if overseas backpackers are involved could a bar be put on their departure until they coughed up and with the local yokels, yeah, confiscation of their pride and joy might get their attention.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 528250

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 20:08

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 20:08
Pop we could always stamp their passport, "Public Offender" and threaten them with deportation, that would work I guess.

It is always the minority who make it difficult for the majority.
We need to get tough with them.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810765

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 21:19

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 21:19
Interesting post Doug but an all to common problem. It seems clear from the article that the "situation" seems to have been brought about by allowing seasonal fruit pickers/campers (as already mentioned). What is a real shame is the generalisation of the word "campers" as that pretty well describes all of us. Now if these people already know how this situation has occurred they surely don't have to muddy all campers? Usually identifying the culprits is a little harder as it a general camp ground/rest area and councils just ban everyone as that it is the easiest solution because it is just too hard for them to do anything else.

What I think is interesting is that in this particular instance it seems that the council responded to calls for facilities for seasonal fruit pickers by creating a camp area at the lake - a trial that seems to have failed BUT at the expense of all that use the lake. As a traveller I find this council decision disturbing as I can't understand why the council just didn't point them to commercial facilities which are equipped to handle these absolute minimalist traveller/worker. Instead we have a council/community that dislikes all campers - great work by Orange Council!

Kind regards
AnswerID: 528280

Sponsored Links