"Best" Cape York track

Silly question, is not it? OK, I try to be more specific.

What you can recommend to first time Cape York traveler? We plan to be a week (could add few days if necessarily) early in July from Cairns to Cape and back I have "Cape York Bible" by Ron & Viv Moon and just after a quick glance I realized that there is no way I can do even most attraction in 10 days time. So what is the best of pick? I am quite confident 4WD-er and our car is well equipped, but I do not like to spend all my time to battle destroyed 4WD tracks. We _may_ tow a 4WD campervan, though we have not decided yet and if we can or must avoid to do so we certainly will. Our main goal is to see "the best of the best" in out short trip.

Any suggestions? Please, please only from those who actually been there.

Thanks
Serg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 13:28

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 13:28
G'day Serg

As you have established, 7-10 days is bugger all time to see much.
You won't have much time for side trips. I would suggest Fruitbat/Twin Falls, head up the OTL (bearing in mind it changes all the time and you may only manage some but not all. Not to be missed in any event. A quick look around the top and back the Development Road with a side track into Virilya Point on the way back (just south of the Jardine).
You probably won't have time for Chilli Beach and Capt Billy Landing was not all that flash last time we were there.
You'll have no trouble towing to any of the above.
AnswerID: 528314

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 16:05

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 16:05
As Rosco says...not much time to explore. We had 2 1/2 weeks from Cairns and would have liked a little more. Fruitbat/Twin Falls is brilliant...and on my "not to be missed" list as well.

Chris
FollowupID: 810840

Reply By: KSV - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:11

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:11
Thanks for replay. We re-jangle our plans and now talking about 12 days.
AnswerID: 528327

Reply By: KSV - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 20:20

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 20:20
Just one place to recommend? It is really funny.
AnswerID: 528821

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 20:42

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 20:42
Go to Chilli Beach and across Frenchman's Track.

AnswerID: 528823

Reply By: Wayne NSW - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:40

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:40
Serg,

You are a first time traveler to Cape York with limited time.
For the safety and enjoyment of yourself and others wait until you have more time, 3 weeks would be a minimum.
That way you can see most of the Cape with out it being a blur.

The last thing you will want to do is to rush, the OTT is very narrow with blind bends, and not preparing for the river crossings will only end in disaster.

Cape York will always be there.
AnswerID: 528854

Follow Up By: KSV - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:57

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:57
Thanks for "encouragement". I still have Kimberly and CSR on my list. So you suggest me to wait till my 80s (I have to do something to earn money to fund my travels) and go to Cape with whole of time in spare and plenty of wisdom, but without ability to lift my spare wheel and jerry can?
Thanks, I rather do it now when I still physically active and if I feel than I can do it again later, I will repeat my trip visiting missed sites. As I said in my OP I do have some experience under my belt - numerous HC crossing (plenty of rivers), Fraser, Simpson alone etc.
Thanks for "advise".
FollowupID: 811455

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:13

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:13
I don't know whether it will always be there Wayne, we are venturing there this year, and have been planning for past few years, (poorly planning I might venture) and with the track closures and asinine approaches to liabilities I am hoping it stays open but I fear that progressively lots of tracks will be closed off.

Serg,

if you have 12 days then make the most of them, there's heaps of suggestions here, and you can always go back and do the southern cape stiff Daintree etc later on
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 811458

Sponsored Links