Long handled shovel

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:12
ThreadID: 106709 Views:3575 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

I am looking for a way to secure a long handled shovel (LHS) to my 4x4, I don't have a roof rack, though I will get one. But I just can't find much that gives me comfort to hold the LHS in place & not slide off and damage the vehicle. The suppliers don't show a lot, the best I could find was a fishing rod holder, just not sure if it would be strong enough??

Appreciate any suggestions.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:19

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:19
I use a couple of quick fist clamps (google them, they can be bought in plenty of places - off ebay, at 4wd shops, I think I got mine from whitworths) - one down near the shovel blade and one further along the handle. These are two different sizes as the top of the handle is much skinnier than down near the blade.

i have these mounted on the side of my roof rack (which I realize you don't have yet) but you could mount them to your bullbar. I drilled a small hole in the shovel handle and used a long bolt on the small quick fist which protudes and goes into the hole in the shovel handle and stops it from rotating and contacting my paintwork.
AnswerID: 528328

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:54

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:54
Rhino have some for their carry bars.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/load-securing/shovel-holders/pioneer-shovel-holder-bracket_43103

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528331

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 19:29

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 19:29
I have the rack mountable version of this Rhino rack Pioneer bracket and can say they are the "ant's pants" for securing a shovel.

My previous brackets had a screw that bit into the wooden handle, whereas this type of clamp leaves the handle unscathed.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810857

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 20:57

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 20:57
easy enough to make a set of shovel holders that mount to the roofrack. have a look at the pic in the Rhino link above...then just get some tubular steel, weld a flat bit of plate to the back of it to use to mount to the rack, drill a hole through the front side of the tube and weld a nut to that over the hole, now get a wing nut type bolt (i actually got a wing nut and an allen key headed bolt and screwed them together then welded in place to make the one bolt) and screw that through the welded nut, now paint it and job done. as Sand Man has mentioned, the bolt bites into the handle of the shovel and gouges it up, but that doesn't concern me at all.
or you can go to a 4wd shop and buy a plastic version of what i've just talked about making, which is the Rhino gear
FollowupID: 810871

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 11:25

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 11:25
Hi rumpig
Problem is, that not everybody have well equipped workshop like you and me, and not everybody have no how....
Yes, and the one above is lockable by real key!
Ciao Dana
FollowupID: 810907

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 19:30

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 19:30
I use two elastic (Rok brand) straps to secure the shovel to a mesh rack. Pretty simple and never works loose. The elastic straps are secured to the rack at one end for safety.

You don't say what vehicle you have but if the spare wheel was on the tailgate or on a Kaymar carrier, then I'd use that.
AnswerID: 528338

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 21:54

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 21:54
We also used a couple of quick fist clamps and mounted it across the front of the roof rack. I added a small ocky strap to make sure the blade doesn't rattle against the roof rack. I also cut about a foot off the handle to make sure it didn't stick outside the line of the bodywork.

Phil

AnswerID: 528353

Reply By: Old dog - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 22:25

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 22:25
G'day Tony, don't know what kind of
4WD you have but on my Troopy there's a pipe that goes across the front of the chassis, I put my long handled shovel in there and put a hose clamp around the bit of the handle that pokes out to secure it. Hope I never need it but it' there tucked away.
Hope it helps.
Old Dog
AnswerID: 528354

Reply By: Dave B ( ADL) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:20

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:20
I have got my LHS clamped to the back of my bullbar on my 60 Series. It fits across there nicely and I don't have to have a roofrack on to carry it.
It's easy to get to if I need it.
My vehicle is for sale in the classifieds, and there is a photo there showing the head of the shovel just below the RH headlight.
Didn't mean to promote my sale in this section, but the photo is there.

cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528361

Reply By: Danna - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:58

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:58
They looks good:
Rhino Roof Racks Shovel Holder With Key Lock - RSHB-L
AnswerID: 528363

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:53

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:53
Hi Tony

Wasn't happy with any of the spade mounts available at the time so we bought a combo shovel instead link .
The handle screws apart and also has a "D" handle so you can use it as a short shovel.
Comes with a bag and fits almost anywhere into the vehicle including sideways.
Because of the handle design it is a bit heavier than a normal spade but not unreasonably so.
It has seen a lot of hard work and I am happy that it fits into whatever I am driving on the day.
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

regards

Andrew
AnswerID: 528383

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 16:05

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 16:05
Thanks all, for your comments & suggestions, have some investigating to do.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528404

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:16

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:16
I cut about 5cm off the handle so it could lie across the back floor. Now it's a not so long handled shovel but still works OK.
FollowupID: 810948

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:28

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:28
Hello Tony,
I couldn't see anywhere any mention of the type of car you have. I did notice you said you didn't have a roof rack (a point a few others seem to have missed).

Prior to getting a roof rack myself, I used to strap it to the rear door mounted spare wheel. Is that an option for you? It wouldn't take much to make up something semi-permanent too. A bit of tube with a nut welded onto it and a bolt with a "T" handle on it. Then some threaded rod with a washer or step that would replace one of your wheel nuts.
It would help to hold your spare on, then use the leverage from your shovel handle to unwind it if you needed your spare, and it would hold your shovel at other times.

Just an idea.

Fab.
FollowupID: 810972

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:44

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:44
Tony,
mocked this up to explain the above. Forget the threaded rod...I had a brain fade. Round bar with a wheel nut on the end is what it should be ...... negates the need for a washer if you weld an OEM nut on the end with the required tapper to fit into your spare wheel.

Sorry....it's still early on a Sunday morning.
Fab.

AnswerID: 528455

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 14:47

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 14:47
Why do you need a shovel? I am too lazy to use one so I check out the track (or dune) before I waste half a day digging myself out.
AnswerID: 528544

Sponsored Links