Keeping check of fuel consumption?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 19:47
ThreadID: 106732 Views:2308 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I've always worked out fuel consumption figues, no matter what vehicle or what trip ,long or short, just a thing with me, and it can give you an idea if something is starting to go wrong,..My B/inlaw who is towing a 25ft caravan around the country at the moment has no idea of his fuel figues,..when I ask he just says oh' we had half a tank left when we got to such and such a place!, it doesn't matter I suppose if your just going to do it'...but I like to know what its roughly going to cost when heading off somewhere...lol.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:49

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:49
Gday
Me to Axle. The boss needs to know how much I am going to spend.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528416

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:59

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:59
LOL!!. Muzbry they will let you away with ziltch.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 810989

Reply By: snow - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:16

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:16
Absolutely mate, been doing that pretty much since started driving, some 30 years ago. My interest mostly stemmed from dodgy fuel gauges back in the day and pom bikes (trumpies) so needed or at least wanted to know where next fuel stop should be etc.
AnswerID: 528419

Reply By: Member - ironJosh - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:22

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:22
I use an app called road trip. Punch in some numbers after each time you fill up, and it tells you exactly how much you are using. Keeps a graph for you too. I imagine there is a better newer one by now.

I noticed the graph for average fuel consumption went slightly up after I fit my Black Widow roof rack.

I am booked in to Superior Turbo's in Toowoomba to get a blower on the 80. It will be interesting to see what happens to the graph after that.

Josh
AnswerID: 528421

Follow Up By: scandal - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 15:40

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 15:40
When you say blower, do you mean supercharger?
I got my HZJ105 turbo'd about 2 years ago, as far as fuel economy went, it really didn't change much in the day to day driving to and fro work, shops,etc, if anything it improved, mainly because it got done by the right bloke who also tweaked with pump timing and valve shims, more so gave it a bloody good tune.
My fuel economy did suffer once the camper went on the back, I only did some short trips and decided that It needed a turbo, The turbo went on just after I bought the camper.
fuel usage goes up according to how its driven, get the whip out, get the wallet out, cruising around it won't change much.
The cruiser could JUST do Toowoomba range in 3rd gear pre turbo, with just me in it, with a good run, and no-one the slow me down (slower than what I already was)now it can hold 3rd gear with the wife 3 kids Jayco swan OB loaded (4.7- 4.9 ton gross) with a little bit spare, just be careful of temperature .

Adding to the topic, I use a website called fuelly, I fill in a book every time I fill and add my details onto the website once every so often and it will calculate my economy and put onto a graph for anyone to see, also gives you the ability to look at what other people vehicles are getting in real world circumstance, this is a world wide base of vehicles, not just Australian, it even has what one bloke in the US gets out of his petrol F350 snowplow, 53l/100ks!! is his worse yikes!, he also has stated he is paying 93 cents a liter (US)

Shane
FollowupID: 811019

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:29

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:29
I was at a van park and one bloke asked me about fuel consumption, he was a bit taken back with my answer.
He asked me what mileage did I get, I told him that I didn't have a clue, then he asked me why didn't I have any interest in my fuel consumption, I told him that I couldn't care less, I'm on holidays and it is what it is and if I had to worry about these little things I might as well stay at home.

To me talking about fuel consumption is a bit like a P1ssing competition.

Phil
AnswerID: 528427

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:41

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:41
Ha ha, great reply!
There is nothing more boring than people coming up & wanting to waste time talking about fuel consumption. To be honest, I don't believe half the figures they waffle on about. I've met some that won't drive with a head wind because they'll use more fuel.
As you say, it is what it is.

FollowupID: 810960

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:18

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:18
I am with you as well. If you are concerned about cost of fuel, stay at home and buy travel dvds.

Otherwise it is "paralysis by analysis". And it is interesting to note that the first four letter of analysis are A-N-A-L.

Cheers

OBJ

FollowupID: 810966

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:27

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:27
Yep apart from wanting to know I have enough fuel to get to the next refuelling point I glaze over with fuel consumption talk.
As soon as I start thinking how much my vehicle really costs me including fuel I find I stop enjoying my holiday or leisurely country drive

For me better not to know the facts!
FollowupID: 810968

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:56

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:56
Well there's a few peas out of the same pod,...LOL.

Everyone to them selves though!, We can't all be the same thank Gawd!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 810987

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:26

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:26
Gidday

Sorry guys, but I have to say that in my case, as outlined below, keeping fuel records has absolutely nothing to do with money.

Cheers
FollowupID: 810992

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 20:40

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 20:40
Have to agree with Rocco. If you are going remote and need to carry extra fuel you need to know what your consumption is so you can do the calculations. Then its not about $$$$ its about distance and getting to the end of the track without running out of fuel.

On a trip I tend to be the record keeper. Its a routine matter to jot down amount of fuel, cost and mileage each time we fill up. Sometimes we calculate consumption, sometimes not, but if we start to find we are going through fuel even faster than usual the data is there should we need it.

Haven't met many people driving an old Troopie (whether petrol or diesel) who wanted to brag about their consumption anyway!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811055

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 21:32

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 21:32
"Haven't met many people driving an old Troopie (whether petrol or diesel) who wanted to brag about their consumption anyway!" - what's to brag about ? :-) - if you drive a 40, then getting into p*ssing matches is a waste of time. Two things I know:

1. I can get about 1000 clicks out of my fuel load (170 ltrs) IRRESPECTIVE of the terrain - really doesn't vary much one I'm on dirt
2. I don't get too paranoid about the fuel quality as the 2H engine will run on chip-shop oil in an emergency... :-D

I get a bit surprised at the folks who agonise over whether to swap from model 'a' to model 'b' - "because the latter get's x % better fuel economy" - despite the fact they have to pay $10k to $20k for the swap ...... that's a lifetime of driving before you break even.

Or the same agony over a new vehicle - without stopping to think your biggest expense in owning a vehicle is capital depreciation...

Probably my first "epiphany" in going remote in 4wd's was as Alby put it neatly.... "As soon as I start thinking how much my vehicle really costs me including fuel I find I stop enjoying my holiday"
FollowupID: 811060

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 20:50

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 20:50
Sorry but I have to say that's one thirsty 2h my old fj40 use to use that much
FollowupID: 811131

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 22:41
Batt,

don't see your point .... this is an HJ47 carrying a fair load - given the engines over 30 years old and a 4 ltr normally aspirated diesel, it's not too shabby. They were never great.

Comparing a lighter petrol shorty with a heavier lwb diesel is apples and oranges...
FollowupID: 811138

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:50

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:50
Axle

I am like you. Always write down when I buy fuel. My dad used to do and I guess I picked up the habit. Was handy when the fuel gauge on a Falcon I owned went kaput.

These days I use the road trip app on my ipad. OK I am obsessive compulsive!

I suppose not knowing doesn't matter if you never leave the bitumen and there are regular fuel stops. Next month I am off the beaten track in the Pilbara and need fuel for 1100km. If I didn't have records for what my ute uses under different conditions I would not know how many jerry cans to take.

Cheers

AnswerID: 528429

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 00:08

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 00:08
I do both.
I have a rough idea of my average fuel figure, and I do the calcs if going bush. Only.

The rest of the time it is of course what it is, so don't waste any time or effort. Of course I know that adding accessories will change it slightly but I have so many better and more productive things to do.

I have a friend who is anal about his fuel figures. I like him immensely but it's sure a mental health issue for him. He's too busy trying to outdo his last fuel figure to smell the roses.
FollowupID: 810961

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 02:44

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 02:44
I'm not into trying to get the best econ out of every tank full of fuel but I've always known what sort of range I can get with every vehicle I've owned at that time. Nothing worse than running out of fuel 20km from a servo. And it helps on long trips to know your range so you can spend less time at the servo especially if you have a long range tank.
AnswerID: 528435

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 06:32

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 06:32
Axle,
you have a very good point. If you have an average idea of your fuel consumption, you then know when that average changes, something is starting to go wrong.

It also allows you to get an idea of how far you can safety travel before needing to refill, and where your fuel gauge sits in relation to the amount of fuel left in the tank.
AnswerID: 528437

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:17

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:17
G'Day Axle,
My father in law goes on about it all the time. He drives his diesel Colorado towing his 18 foot van and loves to rabbit on about how great his fuel consumption figures are.

I on the other hand am not so concerned about my L/100km figures, more so about getting to the next fuel stop. My mini truck only has a 56 litre tank and although it's only a 1.8 petrol engine, it works hard at 110kmp/h (I usually travel at 100 max). So if I see a quarter of a tank go before I travel 100kms, I know it's time to back it down a bit.

To say that people don't care about their fuel consumption figures at all is hard to fathom. I'd say some people just care more than others and their record keeping methods vary from recording whether the A/C was on, road surfaces, average speed, elevations covered etc, to simply looking at the gauge and knowing how far you've come and how far you need to go before your next fuel stop.

My 2 cents (plus GST) worth.

Fab.
AnswerID: 528452

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 16:59

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 16:59
Hey Fab,

Your Father-in-law has it easy mate. The Colorado displays the average fuel consumption all the time, so no need to calculate it.
I seem to sit on 8.8l/100k even when towing.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 811025

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 19:53

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 19:53
G'Day Bill,
Yep that's pretty much where he's at as well.

He likes to rub it in how I can only manage at best 10l/100k and 12l/100k on average when on the dirt and that's not towing either.
I need a bigger engine to push the brick I'm driving, the roof rack and the upgrade from 26" tyres to 30" tyres has come at a cost. Mind you the need for a roof rack and those extra couple of inches under my diffs is worth the extra juice.

Fab.
FollowupID: 811049

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:34

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:34
Seems to me its personal choice, I have been keeping a check on the V8 once a month, I write it down. To me it gives me a bit more confidence when planning a trip.

Someone had in their sig block,

"Dont sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things"

seems appropriate
AnswerID: 528540

Sponsored Links