Launceston and vicinity

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:56
ThreadID: 106741 Views:1310 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We are doing the Cradle Mountains walk at the end of March. We have a day in Launceston before the walk an would like ideas on what to do and see within a couple of hrs from the city. Given we are doing the walk, interested in things related to parks, scenery etc though obviously ideas for the city also welcome. So where are the places that the locals would go with a day to fill in?

many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:53

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:53
Congratulations - you are about to do one of Australia's great walks; right up there with the best internationally. If you are doing the guided walk, look forward to the food and wine as well. Our guides were great company and dab hands in the kitchen as well.
As to your Launceston free day, I'd recommend a trip to the Cataract Gorge; lovely scenery just a short walk from the city (either the bush track on the southern side of the river, or the paved path on the northern side). Good spots for lunch when you get there, and it's quite a stunning site so close to the centre of a city.
Alternatively, if you're a fan of good wine like I am, there are some great wine tours in the Tamar Valley - Joseph Chromy at Relbia (about 20 minutes from town) is excellent, or you can do a bus tour along both sides of the river if you have the time. Try some of the excellent sparkling wines, Tasmania's outstanding pinot noir, and if at Chromy's they do a fantastic sticky.
Enjoy!!!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528472

Reply By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 14:01

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 14:01
You could add the Sea Horse Aquarium at Beauty Point if you travel up the Tamar- a bit different!!
A bit further afield is the incredible drive up Jacob's Ladder at Ben Lomond National Park.
The drive up to Stanley and The Nut is also interesting.
A leisurely drive up through Mole Creek is also a possibility - great country and nice pubs etc.
Very envious of your planned trek.
AnswerID: 528476

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 19:34

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 19:34
There is also a fantastic loop day walk at Ben Lomond N Pk which we did a few years ago. It is named the Legges Tor Circuit and starts from the Carr Villa car park. It isn't a hard walk and is so scenic up and across the winter Ski fields and chalets and back down Jacobs Ladder.

Might be a good warm up for the Overland Track if you are starting it the following day. We also did that 10 years ago and you have a treat in store outback epicurean..just wonderful. So good that we are planning to re walk it in 4 years time when my husband turns 70 hopefully!

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811044

Sponsored Links