Wild Horse Mountain Lookout

I want to do sunset timelapses at WHML, need to go up several day in a row to attain my goal, so I need to camp nearby. At first thought Coochin Creek Campground but ALL reviews warn about an extreme infestation of mozzies in that area, all year round.
Is it that bad?
Any other decent spot, not expensive?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:33

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:33
I know the location of Coochin Creek campground but nothing of its condition. I can tell you that it is currently difficult to access as Roy's Rd access to the Bruce Hwy has been closed during major roadworks. It is necessary to access from the Caloundra Rd.

A better campground may be at the Glasshouse Mountains and I am attaching a couple of map grabs for you. This would give you direct access across the Bruce Hwy to the WDM lookout. Exits from the Bruce Hwy are few in this area.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528538

Reply By: petengail - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:34

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:34
Mossies and midgies can be a problem at Coochin Creek campground. Nice spot though, alternatives could be Caboolture showgrounds or Donnybrook campground, both a bit of a drive from White Horse, but the only alternatives I can think of in the area.
AnswerID: 528539

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 17:03

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 17:03
If the distance isn't a problem, Mt Gravatt has a really nice western aspect...

Chris
AnswerID: 528550

Reply By: Cruiser . - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:17

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:17
You can stay at Beerwah Sports ground for $20 per night, has water and power

Its about 20 minutes drive to Wild Horse Mountain lookout.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 528555

Follow Up By: Cruiser . - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:21

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:21
Have a look at this website for more info

http://www.caravancaravan.com.au/entity/beerwah-sports-ground/QLD

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 811122

Reply By: Denis H - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 21:56

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 21:56
Camp ground in the Glass House Mountains on Old Gympie Road (AKA Cobb & CO) is another option. Best view of Glass House is from Wild Horse Mountain but getting good sunsets is up to the weather and the gods. Drop into the Visitor Information Centre for directions, etc.
AnswerID: 528564

Reply By: Chris (Qld) - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 22:07

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 22:07
Do you actually need a camp ground? There is a lot of forestry around there. I usually just throw my swag on the ground when in that area. This pic was taken not far from Wildhorse Mountain on the western side of the Highway.

and yes Coochin Creek is very bad for mozzies..
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 528565

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 08:58

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 08:58
I stayed at Coochin Ck a few days ago. Mozzies were present but not a great problem. We entered from the north via Bells Creek Road and Coochin Rd and left going south via Roys Road. No problems. If roadworks mean you can't access Roys Rd coming from the south it is only a few km to Bells Creek Rd. Bells Ck Rd and Coochin Rd are unsealed 2WD. You'd have no problems with any rig suitable for the campground.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 528581

Sponsored Links