Jaycar Digimatch Antenna LT-3172 or Marine Antenna LT-3143?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:50
ThreadID: 106780 Views:9434 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, We are setting our van up with a TV and need a good antenna that doesn't cost too much money. We were told that Jaycar had a couple to choose from. The Digimatch can be mounted on a pole manually and stored when travelling where-as the Marine Antenna can be fixed to the roof. Does anyone know what picks up the best reception for both coastal and remote areas? (P.S we were told the Marine Antenna is the same as a winegard without the extra cost?)

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 21:02
I bought one of the aldi outdoor antennas for our van, $30 and works a treat, it is a pole mount. Should still be a few floating around the aldi stores.
AnswerID: 528635

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 22:49

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 22:49
The only sure way of getting reliable TV in all areas is a VAST satellite system. There have been reports of problems with TV reception in places such as the Sunshine Coast, right on the coast. As for remote areas, since the shutdown of analogue TV, reception in a lot of places is only by VAST.
Have a look at the mySwitch site and enter some areas you may be visiting to see if they have TV reception.
AnswerID: 528641

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 16:56

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 16:56
I have the 3143. Did not realize it was marine though. Also not sure about roof mounting. Most places i have been getting reception. Some places where others apparently don't. Some of the place where I don't, if you look around at some houses nearby, they seem to have twenty foot masts.
AnswerID: 528684

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 20:40

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 20:40
I don't know where you got the idea that the 3143 is a marine specific antenna or you can fix it to the roof. It's just another antenna and it does not come with any mounting. In the dot points in it's description there is one line "Compatible with LT-3204 telescopic mast." I think someone was doing a leg pull. You can mount any antenna on the roof if you have the correct hardware.

I have had one of them (until the navigator used the wrong power supply and zapped the amplifier.) It works as well as any of the antennas that have the same body shape and have pull out rabbit ears in place of those fold in VHF elements.

The 3172 will work as well as the 3143 if you add an amplifier like this one to the 3172.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528696

Follow Up By: SS78 - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:32

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:32
Hi, Thanks for info. I understand the 3143 is not marine specific and can be used for caravans - I was just quoting what it was titled under the Jaycar brochure i.e. ('Outdoor UHF/VHF/MARINE TV Antenna with rotation motor'). The salesperson in the shop told us that it is to be mounted on the roof of our van and therefore no need for storage? Anyway, I think we will just go with the Digimatch, as it seems to work ok from what I have seen written in other forums - we don't wont to be fixing anything to our poptop roof and have it leak.
Thanks

FollowupID: 811334

Sponsored Links