Should I fit a snorkel?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 19:52
ThreadID: 106812 Views:2856 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the process of planning a trip to far Nth Queensland for a month, and I'm wondering if I should put a snorkel on my 2010 Hilux SR5, I have been told that it would improve fuel consumption and power and limit the dust going into the air filter, I have already had the exhaust done and had a chip fitted so power is not issue nor the fuel consumption, I have been in a few with snorkels fitted and they seem a lot louder than mine which I wasn't impressed with. I will be towing a boat so I won't be doing any major water crossings. Considering 95% of my normal driving is city would it cause me much grief not to fit one for this trip?
This is not a rehearsal !!!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:08

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:08
How much dirt you plan on going on over in that month? If this is your one trip, I would not bother personally. If you plan more, maybe. Take a spare filter. Every few days remove the one currently installed, and give it a hit.
Don't really know if there is any real savings in fuel. Some say yes. Some say no. Often hear induction noises.

AnswerID: 528746

Follow Up By: Member - Brad S7 - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:24

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:24
Will be travelling to and around Cape York and down to Weipa so 3weeks of dirt, besides that the only other dirt is when I go to the farm, but my mechanics replace the air filter every service and had no drama as yet
Thanks

FollowupID: 811372

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:40

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:40
The only valid reason I see for the snorkel is for keeping water out of the engine Brad.

This is pretty important.

But don't bother if you don't think this will occur.

As for power fuel consumption etc , well in some cases you can get inlet resonnaces to deliver more fuel under some conditions but overall any snorkel represents a restriction in your inlet tract.

As for dust in air filter , I always liked this illustration of how to get sand into your engine from a trip we did last year.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528748

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:41

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 20:41
If your air intake is in or near the R/H wheel well that I would do it. We have one for both dust and water. Nothing to do with performance. We are soon to do a Canning. The standard air pickup for our 100 series is in our R/H wheel well. We would have filled the air cleaner after junt one way on the bull dust riddled 85kms into the Bungle Bungles if we didn't have a snorkel.

What about future drives. What if you change your mind. You meet some fellow campers who invite you to join them on on a drive along the upper half of the Old Tele Track. Nolans was 1.3M when we went through. You maybe would have to turn around.

I would do it and the noise isn't a problem. You get a better understanding of how the motor is running.

Phil

You couldn't do this one. The Balfour Track in Tassie. Water on the windscreen. We just went to watch and changed our minds and drove all of it. Great fun.

AnswerID: 528749

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 22:05
Wow that takes some kahones to drive that, what tyres were you running?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 811378

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 22:13

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 22:13
You're a legend, Phil!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811379

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 22:44

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 22:44
No legends here Bob. I will tell you though, that the adrenalin was running in torrents. It reminded me of swimming the Georges River in an M113APC. They only have a few inches freeboard and when you are a passenger inside you can't see that "you are about to drown!!!".

Tyres were Cooper ST Maxs Bonz.

One of the best experiences I have had in the 100 series.

There are about four long crossings like that and it took us around three hours to do the whole 16 Kms.

Here's a nice little bridge on the Balfour. Don't you just love it when they creak and you bloody well know you are way over GVM!!!

FollowupID: 811380

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 19:52

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 19:52
33's I assume? I have those on my rig
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811430

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 21:27

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 21:27
I had the same Hilux as yours and did not notice any performance or fuel gains fitting a snorkel,
I had a Safari snorkel and it made no additional noise nor did it impede your vision when driving, the main advantage is for water crossings and supposedly cooler air pickup as higher off road and maybe less dust ingress.

If you plan on getting one in the future I would just fit it sooner than later as you never know what circumstances may change when on the road and you are better prepared
AnswerID: 528752

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 07:38

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 07:38
Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but you mentioned you had a "CHIP" fitted, & the improvements it had made?

I was of the belief they were not worth the trouble, but obviously you don't seem to think so.

Who fits these type of things?
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 528769

Follow Up By: Member - Brad S7 - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 18:55

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 18:55
Hi Tony
I had my exhaust done and chip done at the same time, there has been a massive improvement in both power and fuel consumption with my vehicle, but I have also chipped a few of my work vehicles and didn't make much different. We have found that you get what you paid for, with mine I had a STI chip and 3inch exhaust which wasn't cheap as for my Nissans and Great Wall utes the first lot we purchased on eBay and aren't worth the money, but have upgrade a few of them with better quality ones and you can tell the difference. Don't buy the ones that you can manually adjust waste off money they are just a standard one for many different vehicles. I had mine fitted by our own exhaust fitter at Blair's tyres Narellan which was bought as a package. So any exhaust shop could organise.
Regards
Brad

FollowupID: 811427

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 07:42

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 07:42
Hi Brad

We fitted a snorkel to the Landcuiser before our trip north a few years back. Don't expect any improvements in economy or power, we got none that could be measured. The main reason as mentioned is the dust and potential water ingress. We checked air filters on our vehicles when at the tip, and the dust was quite reasonable - filters were cleaned using an air compressor, and all good. There is a little more induction, and air noise, but nothing that really bothers me with the windows up...

Anyway - I'd still spend the money and have it done if I had my time over again.

Chris
AnswerID: 528770

Reply By: Member - Brad S7 - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 19:00

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 19:00
Thank you all for your comments, it's gives me something to think of

Cheers
Brad

AnswerID: 528814

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:21

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:21
I have fitted them to my Hilux, 100 series and 200 series and not seen any change in either performance or economy.
200 had a little bit of suction sound if you have the window open and floor it.

Dont pay $400 plus for one unless you have too much money.
You can get good ones of Ebay for not much more than $100 delivered and fit it yourself rather than by the 1st year apprentice at your local shop.
AnswerID: 528835

Sponsored Links