The Balfour Track. Our latest trip. What’s yours?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 22:49
ThreadID: 106830 Views:2149 Replies:4 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Last Christmas we hopped aboard the Tassie ferry and went around the North West coast of Tasmania. One particular track impressed me so I thought that I would post the videos and see what others have done.

I promised to put a video of the track up so here it is.

Enjoy and don’t forget to give us a link to yours.

Phil

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:36

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:36
Great work, Phil.

You have a very cool missus - how deep was the puddle around her ankles in part 1? Reckon you should have had the bra on then, too!

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528838

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:56

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:56
Hi Frank. Glad you enjoyed them. The bra was put on after the first crossing. You can see a bit of it bunched up around the antenna base.

There were about 2 to 3 inches of water inside at the second crossing. Not enough depth at the first one to come in through the tears in the door waterproofing membrane. You can hear it running out when Sue opened the door.

Last year we had a little argument with a rock wall on the L/H side and the panel beaters damaged the membrane in the doors and didn't repair it. I replaced the membrane in both L/H doors and no leaks again. I took ages back a few years plugging them all.

One whole week to get rid of the water and smell. Scrubbed, washed and hosed the carpets three times. All good now.

The track is about 16Kms long so I took the bra off for some of the time. The last thing that I needed was an overheating engine.

You can see it being installed at one of the deeper crossings in Part 2.

Phil
FollowupID: 811448

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:58

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:58
The water bra first appears at 3:00 minutes into Part 1.
FollowupID: 811449

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:01

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:01
Must missed it Phil. Shouldn't have doubted you!!

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 811464

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:42

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:42
Yes a great track, we dragged the Cub Supermatic camper through with the troopy, only got stuck once in one of those steep in and out waterholes, the water was up to the top of the troopy's taillights and the front of the camper. Winched it out with no dramas, wasn't as wet as your trip though.
AnswerID: 528855

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:44

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:44
Looks like good track PJ , haven't done it so better put it on the list.

Our latest rip was thi monday and an embrassment as for first time ever I was extracted by a novice Prado driver who was so proud of himself
and even took his never used snatch strap out of its Xmas packaging.

We slid sideways to a stop in the sand near Bunbury, as traction control shut the car down as soon as 1 front wheel spun.

The sand got under the front bumper and it sat on the chassis only 10m from bitumen.

Next time I go to Perth we are not going to get a Kia Hatchback rental car!
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528866

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:52

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:52
Well your a sneaky one. I thought that the "tow-ed" had to com up with the recover gear. Not the "tow-ed" and stuck vehicle.

What are you driving?

Isn't that a 2002 GU in your profile photo. I even hesitated at getting the 100 series. Isn't it amazing how these car manufacturers can put something in the car that is no where near as good as we are.

The last time we slid sideways we did $14K of damages to every panel on the L/H side. Luckily it was only at less than 40K according to the GPS track and no one was hurt. Just drove out, cut the old rear plastic bumper off and drove home. Yes!! Put the trashed plastic in the back.

By all means put the Balfour on your list but try and do it with someone else. We waited for two cuppas but no one else turned up so we gave it a go. And happy to say it was easier than it looks. Trouble was that if you got stuck there wasn't anything to winch off. Ouch. That's why I backed out of that small hole as soon as I felt it getting risky. I know that you shouldn't stop but it was stop or tale a chance that I was not willing to do.

Take car.

Phil
FollowupID: 811475

Follow Up By: Danna - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:49

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:49
Anyone going on The Balfour track should apply for the permit from local authority.
The permit doesn't allow you to go on your own. Minimum 2 vehicles are allowed to go that way!
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 811582

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:34

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:34
All they say is that it is not recommended to go solo.

I had mentioned to the Rangers that I would wait for someone to come along but if no one does then I may go alone if I feel that it was safe. They didn't tell me that was not allowed. Just that it wasn't recommended.

We got our Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area Recreational Driver Pass on the Ferry.

Phil
FollowupID: 811588

Reply By: Danna - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:40

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:40
Hi Phil
We were stacked in middle of last water ditch on big granite boulder. Our track partners drove a little bit to the right of the track, not in middle of it and went thru no problem.
But otherwise The Balfour is a great fun .... just to imagine ..... it use to be a normal access road to The Balfour town as locals told us.
Cheers Dana
AnswerID: 528938

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:38

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:38
Which direction were you going? It makes a difference which was the last crossing. I definitely don't remember anything on the eastern end. Sue saw a rock a ways into it but definitely not the very first one from the west. Maybe they moved it.

On only one occasion did I go on a bypass. And that was only after a very solid look at the bypass. They were as boggy as anything. Two mates took hours to get out of one bypass, the previous year. I took their advice and stuck mainly to the direct approach.

We both enjoyed it.

Phil
FollowupID: 811590

Follow Up By: Danna - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 21:04

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 21:04
Hi Phil
The granite boulder is in the ditch - in water about 1km before intersection to Bf. track and West Explorer Road.
We applied for the permit in Temma rangers office. It was issued for free on spot, with map, recommendations and great tips from ranger and office staff.
FollowupID: 811598

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 22:46

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 22:46
Looks like they moved it.

Canning next.

Have a good one

Phil
FollowupID: 811602

Follow Up By: Danna - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:29

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:29
Hi Phil
World's best water is bore water at Kunawaritji ...... take as much as you can.
Kunawaritji water is even better than famous water of Tivoly !
HooRoo Dana
FollowupID: 811764

Follow Up By: Danna - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:32

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:32
Sorry, spelling mistake.
It is Tivoli in Italy.
FollowupID: 811765

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 20:07

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 20:07
Do they charge for it? I don't mind paying some fee.

I don't know where Tivoly iis I am sorry. Never heard of it before. I want to see this country first.

But we will need water by then. We carry 55 litres under the car and another 50 litres in plastic containers inside. So not too many showers on the trip. There is other water for that along the way. But thanks for the hint.

Phil
FollowupID: 811784

Follow Up By: Danna - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 19:24

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 19:24
Hi Phil
We drove Canning in August 2007 and at that time we didn’t have to pay for water in Kunawaritji, but we left donation in box anyway.
Some wells are in use. So it’s a good idea to take a bucket and long rope.
We have collapsible silicone 10L bucket (very good thing to have) we put round stone inside bucket and slowly let it sink and fill-up with water.
Otherwise you have probably similar set-up like we do. 55L water tank under the vehicle. We take about same quantity in bottles and small jerry cans inside vehicle. But with little organization we had a shower every second day also.

Tivoli is in Italy - above Rome and the water makes top coffee because it is full of appropriate minerals. You can Google - images for your imagination. This area was important also in Roman time of Aqueduct.
I lived and worked in Italy for 2years when I was young, but now I prefer our lovely bush.
Cheers Dana

FollowupID: 811911

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:06

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:06
Hi Dana

Good words on the Canning water. Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 811918

Sponsored Links