Land Cruiser / Prado

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 07:01
ThreadID: 106835 Views:3023 Replies:5 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
In market for first 4WD. I do drive them, mostly Hilux's but also Coloeado and Navara in rugged terrain for work most days but still yet to own one. Want a 'wagon' style, not trayback and am set on a 2nd hand diesel Landy or Prado just for reliability, clearance etc from my years of experience at work. Have had both there in the past before they cut back the budget!

Question really are:

1) what are the key differences between landy and prado.

2) For between $10-20k(25 max), looking at 200,000km +, how many km do toyota diesel engines do and are they feasible to dump new one's in when they go

Certainly open to other avenues of thought too! Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter T9 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:44

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:44
Can only answer for Landcruiser and for that price range you are probably looking at a 1hz powered 105 series or possibly an 80 series at lower end of price range however expect huge km for $10k. Both are tough and very capable however are quite sluggish. I have driven both for work vehicle in the past in remote areas of Qld and they never let me down however they were new vehicles at the time.

The 1hz motor is generally very simple and reliable and plenty have lasted well beyond 500,000km with routine servicing. Scheduled replacement of timing belt is critical.

My own experience saw a 1hz motor in a ute fail at 317,000km the cause being the snapping of the idler gear shaft in the front timing gears resulting in a major collision between valves and pistons. This is a rare occurance however you need to be aware things can go wrong with anything however I think the odds are still in your favour with a 1hz.

Because I couldn't get anyone local to rebuild it I opted for an exchange rebuilt motor (about $5.5k plus fitting) which are readily available however you need to be careful of dodgy engine reconditioners.

Not a cheap exercise by the time you replace a few other things such as clutch, harmonic balancer and fan clutch. The vehicle needs to be in good order to make it worthwhile. Having said that I will bet it is still alot cheaper to replace a 1hz motor than a newer common rail one and its associated fuel system.

Hope this helps

Peter

AnswerID: 528856

Follow Up By: lj_eco - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 07:00

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 07:00
Thx Peter. So essentially, i should either aim to spend more (i've seen much lower km for $40k with newer common rail engines) or for that lower end price, really just lool at something with a good body/interior and expect/budget to outlay another $10k+ (or more) over the coming 2-10 years?

I'd be happier with newer engines, turbo diesel and all, as i started driving the old 1hz motors for work when i first started back in about '01. They were fine on the trails in low range (prado and 'lux) but put them on 'Fitz's Hill' (bitumen) behind Canberra i almost had to change between 1st and 2nd 10 times to get up as 1st was revving to high while 2nd didn't have enough oomph. I don't want to go back to those days, maybe I'm too spoilt now with our modern fleet!

That said, i should be looking to outlay more to begin with. Which kind of scares me because the initial larger outlay is 'ok' but if anything major went wrong.... And then servicing/regular repairs /maintainence. Maybe i should do the 'SUV' thing and go full modern Isuzu MUX / Mitsu Challenger. At least for $40k i get a warranty. But it's just not the same! Hmm.
FollowupID: 812145

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:33

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:33
The difference is the prado is not a landcruiser...the prado is ( some will hate this) a hilux stationwaggon.

For good or bad the prado is a lighter vehicle and mechainically closer related to a hilux than a landcruiser

The prado replaced the fourrunner and the surf which where clearly hilux stationwaggons..and the early prados where mechainically identical to the hilux except they had a coil spring rear end.

Regardless of the semantics, the prado's are a good thing.

As far as toyota diesels...I'm running a 5LE hilux ( 3 liter non turbo) it has over 300 000 on the clock on the original injectors and pump...I baught it with 280 000 on it.....and it runs like a clock....compression is still good..still pulls well...never going to be a rocket ship...but it runs fine.

All these toyota diesels like to have good diesel spec oil and regular oil change....some 2 stroke in the diesel keeps em sweet.

cheers
AnswerID: 528875

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 14:23

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 14:23
...Prado is a Landcruiser - it says so on the badge :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811477

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 20:02

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 20:02
The Explorer
It is easy to see marketing gurus can grab you by the short and curlies.
The addition of "Landcruiser" on a Prado badge is to get the less informed to think similar of the Landscruiser status and heavily trade on that fact.

Mano of the Prado components are same same as ilux but will never fit a Landcruiser.

You can call something any name you want but it doesn't change reality.

A silk purse can be made from a sows ear if you rearrange the molecules a little.
FollowupID: 811497

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 01:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 01:50
....Was just having a joke Ross M because the initial post was bemusing.

It was actually the word "Toyota" in front of Landcruiser Prado that made me choose one of their products for my own personal vehicle (having driven all variants over ~16 years)...not the word "Landcruiser" on a badge.

They (various toyota models) are all significantly different...not sure anyone would buy a Prado thinking is was a "Landcruiser"....surprised any one would think that some people could be "tricked" by use of the same word on two different models...but maybe I'm not surprised at all.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811517

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 09:11

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 09:11
My personal view is, that it is sad that the prado did not remain smaller lighter and more closely related to the hilux.

But like everything toyota make of late it has become bloated and lost some of its agility and economy in the process.

cheers
FollowupID: 811527

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:16

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:16
All is not lost!! The current model dual cab 4x4 SR5 Hilux is longer (wheel base and chassis) and taller than a 150 Prado but Prado is about 6 inches wider than a Hilux. Approach angle for the Prado is fractionally better than a Hilux. Departure angle is likely to be better for the Prado also but suppose it depends on what tray you have fitted. Obviously the Prado is heavier.

Agree - They do tend to be making every model bigger each time a new version is released. 200 series has turned the "Landcruiser" into a leviathan. I have had a couple of 80 series - they were ideal..after that (100 series) they started to get a bit cumbersome for my liking. Prado is still Ok I reckon - but have never driven a 150 series...so just a guess. Will stick with the 120 until it shows some sign of loss of reliability - still waiting.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811577

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 07:35

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 07:35
In Europe/UK, if someone says they have a Landcruiser, then odds are it's a Prado. The big Landcruiser doesn't sell over there because it's not city friendly and uses too much fuel.
FollowupID: 811610

Follow Up By: lj_eco - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:14

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:14
Out of all this i can happily say what i am looking for is a wagon version of a 'real 4wd'. A mate had a second hand surf, now that idea was ideal. Except he and a few other reviews siggested major mechnical issues with med-high km cars which turned me right off. Hence looking at the prado. Interestingly what i gather is most diesel prados are gutless on road which really surprises me. And fuel economy of petrol versions is, as you'd expect for a truck, average at best.
FollowupID: 812149

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:53

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:53
Hi

Gutless is a relative term, sure more powerful engines around than the current 150 Prado diesel (common rail) - but does it matter? I have older 120 Prado with the non-common rail 3L diesel motor. Now this is even more "gutless" (and less economical) than the current common rail motor...OK I get blown off at the lights by almost everything...but so what?. I still get to where I want to go with no problems, at the posted speed limit (even when fully loaded). Cant see how a Prado 150 would not do the job nicely. If you are towing something them worthy of more consideration, but see a lot of Prados towing so appears to suit some peoples needs OK.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812177

Reply By: Mark T6 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 16:49

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 16:49
I have a 150 "LANDCRUISER " Prado (yes it does say that on the back).

I have taken mine across the Simpson Desert, up to Cape York, Up and down and across all the major "tracks" and last year up the Canning Stock Route.

Never missed a beat!!

Very very agile 4WD and a heap better on fuel than a big Landy.

BUT if ever you want to tow (as I doing now) only a 2500KG capacity, and that's about the lowest of all the modern day 4WD's.

Had I had my time over again, and knowing what I know about the towing capacity I'd have bought a Cruiser BUT, I cannot take one thing away form the Prado its a ripper 4WD if that is what you want.
AnswerID: 528888

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:25

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:25
FJ Cruiser which is a Playdo mechanically but 100mm shorter [ cut off rear chassis] has less towing capacity , only 2250kg….
FollowupID: 811586

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:39

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 18:39
Yeh...so that means the FJ crusr is not a landcruiser either it just a short ass hilux.

Still a better choice that the hungry and flatulant fat man that is the 200 series is.

:)

cheers
FollowupID: 811591

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 00:47

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 00:47
?.No, hilux has different wheel base/etc to a prado/fj...motor is same I think but thats about it based on casual observation. Nobody has ever suggested a Prado/FJ was scaled down "Landcruiser" except you. Repeated reference to "prado=hilux" is just a bit of (failed) trolling I suspect.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811604

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:29

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:29
OH come on...the whole FJ cruiser project is specifically intended to ride on the back of the landcruiser brand and image.

Come on now....F...J....Cruiser....if that does not suggest its a landcruiser I don't know what does.

The FJ cruiser is apart from the body styling a Prado..and thus bears more mechanical resembelence to a hilux than a landcruser.

The Tacoma, has a slighty different wheel base & such to a hilux.....but to look at it you would have no doubt that it is a hilux variant...just chubbed up a little bit for the US market.

I'll continue to point out the Prado being derived from the hilux, because it is the truth.

I enjoy showing marketing spin for what it is.

The early prados where mechanically identical to the hilux except for the rear suspension....engines, gearbox and drive line. even front suspenion....I have a manual common to both that shows it beyond any doubt.

There may have been a little mechanical divergence in the more recent models...but the fact remains..prado is more hilux than landcruiser....and thus the FJ cruiser.

Unfortunatly some don't see that as a positive thing.

cheers
FollowupID: 811677

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 22:40

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 22:40
....Nobody ever said the Prado wasn't "closer" to a Hilux that a "Landcruiser" ....but I think the difference is significant enough for the Prado to be referred to as a Prado and not a modified Hilux (even if three models ago and over a decade in time they shared more common parts).

Also I don't think anyone with a Prado (or an FJ) was some how duped into buying the car because of the use of the word "Landcruiser/cruiser".....they purchased the car based on its specifications, their specific needs and likes (and budget for some I suppose). "Landcruiser is a recognised trademark but I don't think the use of the word turns people into brain dead, car buying zombies (which is not to say some people aren't in any event :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811686

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:34

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:34
Spin Bantum. Toyota on the 70 series different rear/front tracking.

"To help keep LandCruiser more manageable with less rock and roll, the front track is wider, and the front stabilizer bars are beefed up for greater rigidity"
Cheers,Dave.
FollowupID: 812179

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 17:23

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 17:23
Depends on what you primarily want it for. The Prado is still great around town and no slouch offroad either, depending on what accessories you put on it.

The 'Cruiser is a more stable platform for towing or offroad but obviously a bit thirstier and cumbersome to park but great on the open road with a fair bit more room. I liked our previous 'Cruiser but I do find the Prado more user friendly between trips - which is by far, most of our driving.

btw, A "Landy" is generally the term given to a Land Rover.
AnswerID: 528891

Follow Up By: lj_eco - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:18

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:18
Good point on the fact MOST of our driving for better or worse is in fact on the black stuff to supermarket carparks.

Re: 'landy' , thanks for jogging my memory! Cruiser it is
FollowupID: 812151

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:48

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:48
yep - that's it mate. For most of us still working, the thing is largely used around town going about our usual business and I do find the Prado better in that regard. I don't think we're likely to be going for a 23 foot palace to pull so the Prado will do us, all round, for the foreseeable. It would still pull a sizeable van but that would be just a touch beyond it's 2.5 ton limit. You never know what's down the track though - we've changed our rig more often than we should over the years but finally feel comfortable with it now. Then again, most people would probably say the same.
FollowupID: 812154

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 23:43

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 23:43
"Landy" is a term of endearment usually reserved for Land Rover, in most cases the Defender.

AnswerID: 528956

Sponsored Links