In Car Accident Recorder

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 17:33
ThreadID: 106858 Views:2369 Replies:7 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All
Looking at putting a in car accident camera in the 4by. Has anyone done research on these units? Or maybe already have one. So many out there not sure what would be the best or what to look for. So if anyone has any experience in the above subject your input would be greatly appreciated.
At this stage I am leaning towards Uniden.

Thank Heaps
Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duck - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 19:23

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 19:23
Have a smarty cam in all my vehicles, in my patrol I've used it twice in court & it has made a big difference in the out comes. Once on a speeding fine that showed I was not speeding & there also had been no speeding Advisory sign or road works signs in the last 25klms, the 2nd & sadly clearly showed that this guy just pulled out on a blind curve to overtake & slammed head on to this young girl the coroner wished all cars were fitted with them as it showed all the event as it happened in front of us
cheap ones aren't worth the money,
Ours has a great picture, it's has its own gps, it will film for awhile even with out power, for a few hundred bucks worth every cent
Mine just records to a SD card & just records over & over again all I do if there Been an event I just put a new card in so it won't write over it
AnswerID: 528944

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 19:33

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 19:33
G'day Duck
Thanks for your response.
What size SD card would be suitable?
FollowupID: 811597

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 21:27

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 21:27
Would suggest as large as possible so you have the longest cycle time for the best image - usually 32gb is the standard.

I have a $50 cheapie in my car - runs all the time - image is good enough to use in court.
FollowupID: 811600

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 23:46

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 23:46
Interesting Duck. I've read many comments that personal cameras cannot be used as evidence to defend speeding cases and that would seem to be logical, although footage might help if speed signs were obscured - just as photographic evidence can be...

There have been a few threads about these cameras on EO Allan and Google will turn up a lot of info as well. I've been looking for a while but have yet to bite the bullet.

This website is one of the more authoritative on dashcams but there are plenty of more expensive ("corporate") systems around which he doesn't test, if that's your bag.

Dash Cam Reviews
FollowupID: 811603

Follow Up By: duck - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 21:44
Allan I just use a 32 gig

Bazooka you could be right on the speeding if it was a speed camera or a radar in my case we were pulled over as the hwy patrol had mistaken us for the speeding offender in a construction zone & the camera clearly showed the offender passing us at high speed in a vehicle that was similar same make colour etc only several mins before we were pulled over & it also showed the traffic control contractor had not met he's obligation & the aust stds.

In the case of the fatality it has been used heavily in court by the police & the victims parents
FollowupID: 811682

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:26

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:26
Thanks for clarifying Duck. It sounded to me like the recorded vision was the critical thing in your case, just wanted to mention the speed businerss in case someone knew more or was thinking that it could be used to prove that they weren't speeding in court. I'm purely only going on hearsay in regard to the non-acceptance of GPS speed although I suspect that there would be some long and expensive hoops to be jumped through before a court would rely on it alone as evidence. That said, I think vision can help corroborate speed data, and (most) courts aren't dummies. They can put the two together easily enough in most cases and aren't (or shouldn't be) in the practice of ignoring the obvious.
FollowupID: 811707

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 19:40

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 19:40
Hi, I have just installed a Blackvue DR500GW-HD wifi. Installing was easy once I located an English version of the manual online. Similar to duck's it has GPS and records continually, and stores what it interprets as "events" separately. It also will record "events" when the car is parked / unattended. It was easy to connect to my smartphone for viewing as well.

Part of the reason I got this one is I went away on a 4wding weekend with a friend recently and he had one also. The video of the tracks was great.

AnswerID: 528946

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 08:41

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 08:41
Vicki

We have a wireless network at home. Would I be able to connect the camera to it? I don't have a phone with bluetooth. I know very lillte about connecting to bluetooth.

Phil
FollowupID: 811612

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 08:43

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 08:43
I should have looked at the internet and the price before asking you.

Don't worry. It's too expensive for me.

Phil
FollowupID: 811613

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 18:28

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 18:28
hi Phil,

I'm sure there will be others. My guess is that it is probably mainly picture quality at night & some of the features (like GPS) that would make a price difference. I remember there was one discussed on this forum about 6 - 12 months ago that got good feedback & was about $70. Just checked it was DVR207 HD720P IR Car Vehicle Dash Camera.

If you find one with wifi you will be able to connect it to your network at home (although honestly you just take out the card & put it in your computer - just as easy - or easier)
FollowupID: 811660

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 18:59

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 18:59
Thanks but I disagree on the labour involved. I would have to go downstairs to the car unlock it take the card out and if it was a micro one that is a pain with my large hands. The trapse all the way back up here and stick the card in the computer. From there it is exactly the same as wifi. I already have the connection once and just bring up Windows Explorer, click on the camera as I would click on the sd card. No running downstairs.

But I would hope it was like that. The problem would how to leave the camera powered up but not recording until I downloaded. Maybe the bluetooth thing is more gimicky that useful.

Anyway it's of no consequence because I wont spend that much on one. I already have one but no GPS in it. And I carry the SD card up with me. I also take a laptop to record a days files so that I can come home with a 100% video copy of the trip.

Thanks for the info.

Phil
FollowupID: 811664

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 01:14

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 01:14
Hi Allan,
I would highly recommend VisionDrive a little expensive but records gps, your speed, time and able to see on google earth. I was involved in an accident chap went through a stop sign and the police couldn't make head nor tail what happened or how. They were amazed at how clear the picture was, my speed 51kph, also didn't even have to go to court. It has an impact mode as well as normal recording mode. The 32gb card records 8 plus hours then loops.
Ian
AnswerID: 528959

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 04:29

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 04:29
probabally worth it if you cant drive for bleep .
ive had a few accidents - they were either my fault and easily sorted or someone elses also easily sorted

I seem to find these types of cams invite accidents - self fulfilling profecy

ive been driving legally for 23 years and never wished i had that sort of thing
AnswerID: 528963

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 04:34

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 04:34
oh and dont forget they can work against you

copper thought it would be a good idea to wear a cam ... it was used to prosecute him for bashing a tiny lady at spring in the valley
he now has no job and a criminal record because of his camera

he was probaally right but the camera only picked up what she was saying everything else was missed

case closed ... thanks for the footage
FollowupID: 811605

Follow Up By: landseka - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:54

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:54
Mmmm seat belts & airbags are for people that can't drive for bleep too in your little mind? Probably caused your accidents did they?

Thanks for the laugh anyway, funniest thing I've read all day.
FollowupID: 811638

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:07

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:07
"Thanks for the laugh anyway, funniest thing I've read all day."

I second that Landseka - honestly gom - where do you drive?

I've already had 2 taxis try to take me out (road rage) in Sydney - in both case my defensive driving and skills (and instincts honed on a motorcycle in traffic) avoided any damage or injury - in both cases it would have been my word against his - particularly when they chop me off and jam on the brakes trying to get a read end hit.

In both cases a camera would have saved me getting booked - the 2nd incident is why I put one in my car.

"I seem to find these types of cams invite accidents - self fulfilling profecy" - total bollocks !!! - mine sits behind my rear view mirror where I can't see it - 99% of the time I'm driving I forget it's even there.....
FollowupID: 811647

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:27

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:27
get outmore if your driving is anything like your attitude you deserve to have a lot more at fault accidents. I have good quality dash cams in both M/h and Suzy puddle jumper as a defence against being wrongfully blamed in the event of a dingle. There have been many instances of innocence being proven through the use of these devices according to an experienced insurance assessor. If it proves that a dingle is my fault then I take my medicine.
FollowupID: 811649

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:52

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:52
GOM]
How many years did you drive illegally before managing to pass the test?

With twice the legal years driving and one Bingle, (no not her), and not my fault, your record isn't good at all, quite poor really.

Perhaps you should ride a motorcycle, like Scott M and myself and learn road craft and defensive everything.

I haven't seen any cameras supplied with a stick on decal saying, "HIT ME" so they probably don't invite accidents.
FollowupID: 811679

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 06:08

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 06:08
Hi Allan,

While I think that they're a great gadget to have, be aware that it can be very difficult to get a court to accept digital imagery as evidence if that is your prime purpose for having it.

I'm not saying a court won't accept it, but there are protocols involved to ensure the integrity of the images is maintained. If they aren't followed, the footage will likely not be admissible.

Cheers,

Kevin :=)
AnswerID: 528964

Reply By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 06:36

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 06:36
Thanks everyone for your input, will take it on board.
Cheers Allan
AnswerID: 528965

Reply By: brushmarx - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:30

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:30
As a side query to these cameras in what may be seen as improper hijacking of the thread, I have seen videos from truckie's who slap the camera to keep the previous video segment for more permanent recording and later viewing. Does this "forced" recording go the the SD card separate to the video going on, or stop the video requiring a new SD card to be installed and the camera being reset?
What would be handy is having the camera run while driving especially longer trips where you can go through hours of nothing, then crest a hill and see a herd of camels or dingo's. Slapping the camera to record the previous 5 minutes (for example) while the camera keeps shooting would be a bonus as you wouldn't need to stop and dive for the video camera. After a couple of days driving you could have quite a few 5 minute segments of video rather than editing through hours of boring video on a pile of SD cards.
Do any of the cameras allow this?
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528980

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:15

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:15
Could do something similar with a combination of crashcam, OziCE and OziphotoTool or similar. Won't be a 'slap' though, just a set waypoint.
FollowupID: 811622

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:10

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:10
most like mine are set for automatic record - so they only run if the ignition is on - so you may have to turn to manual override if you want to keep it running when the vehicle ignition is off - or a hard slap will trigger the g-shock sensor to permanently preserve the last 15 mins or so...
FollowupID: 811648

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:47

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:47
I have an IBT 100HD this will record whilst driving and also while parked without the need for the ignition to be on.

It will auto delete as the memory card fills up, you can specify what files are deleted first.

The footage is very good and it also records, sound (inside) GPS, Speed, Date and Time. You track is overlaid in Google maps.

They are well worth the money and I think they should be in every vehicle.
FollowupID: 811656

Sponsored Links