North Kimberley

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 16:55
ThreadID: 10688 Views:1471 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am glad you enjoyed the road saga. At least once a week I get the question about the roads, normally along the lines of 'what will the road be like on .... 12 th July ?'
As you see from saga NOBODY has any hope of an advance prediction. Then you have the fact that I could give the same discription to two people on the very day prior to travel. One will then turn up and say, you said it was corrugated, this is a highway ! The other will turn up and say , you said it was corrugated, this isn't a road its a goat track, it's shocking !
I do not give road discriptions anymore, been burnt to many times.
I liked the comment about the hand pump, in those days folks were mostly happy to get fuel in anyway possible ! Weights and measures were not so happy and we have now long had (checked by them) bowsers.
We did the road as tourists in 1982. Things have come a very long way since then, some good, some bad. Yes visitor numbers may become a problem but mainly because so many people want to free camp where there are no facilities, this was OK no problem in the 80's but the huge numbers now attempting it are wrecking some places and will ( very unpopular comment ) have to be controlled. Wouldn't be so bad if all took not only ribbish away with them but burried their toilet site, but a lot do neither and it ends up a disgrage and a health hazard.
Yes now in the wet I do have the time to play on the net but almost all questions are answered on our big site, about 8 pages & 25 photos including general tips and lots of links to other useful Kimberely sites.
Apart from that if I haven't had time to come here and check I will always reply to direct e-mails. Just for interest sake, although other parts of the Kimberely has had some major flooding the North Kimberely has had a decent but steady wet so far, rivers running well but not in huge flood. We still have all March when this can change and as the last two wets were very low up here we are hoping for a pretty big one to keep more water for the cattle and those falls etc flowing well into the dry for you all to come and see.
Oh nice it just started to rain again, hubby won't think so he is on the tractor up mowing the airstrip !
For those who haven't yet, check us out
www.drysdaleriver.com.au
cheers Anne

Drysdale River Station
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 17:51

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 17:51
Hi Anne,

Thanks for your response to my question. Yes, one can get burned with advice on road conditions as perception on what is good or bad varies with individual people.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to visit your area again sometime in the future.

Cheers,

Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 47525

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 18:44

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 18:44
Whats the roads going to be like the first week in June at 8 in the morning ? ( HEE HEE , just kiding ) Looking forward to being there then through and hopefull,e meating you .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 47529

Reply By: Member - John- Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 23:46

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 23:46
Hi Anne,
Thanks for highlighting your web site as I was unaware of it. I live in Derby and oftern answer questions about the GRR, et al. Your site is helpful.

John schmidt
AnswerID: 47555

Reply By: Graeme - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 19:36

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 19:36
Hi Anne

For us travellers, great you can give us a breath of the Kimberleys.

For me, anything you can provide, as appropriate, on weather & conditions is really appreciated.

AnswerID: 47610

Reply By: Graeme - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 19:36

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 19:36
Hi Anne

For us travellers, great you can give us a breath of the Kimberleys.

For me, anything you can provide, as appropriate, on weather & conditions is really appreciated.

AnswerID: 47611

Sponsored Links