Discovery 4 HSE vs Landcruiser VX

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40
ThreadID: 106892 Views:5649 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
We are replacing our trusty 12 year old troopy this year.. with some nervousness!
Typically we are towing a reasonably heavy Kimberly Camper with tinnie and outboard. Gunbarrel, Rudall River, Kennedy Ranges, Mitchell Plateau.. to give you an idea of the conditions we have to cope with.
The Disco is a great looking vehicle and is set out far superior to the VX, in fact it's probably better to compare the HSE to the Safari. I'm seeking INFORMED opinion; not the cruiser owners saying the disco is rubbish and vica verca! If you have a Disco 3 or 4 I'd like to know what your experience is. My main concerns are reliability and the tyre limitations for the 19" rims (you can't go smaller unles you buy very expensive after markett ones from Greenoval) We've always used Cooper ATs. The disco has had a bad rap for reliability in the past but it's now 25 years in the development. Have things got better? No, we don't want another Troopy, we want more power and comfort in our later years and seats for the grandkids.

Boggs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:28

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:28
I haven't owned a Disco, but have driven a couple and the drivers compartment seems to be a little crowded for me, after having owned Toyota's and Nissan's. if you are looking for comfort probably best to get in one and see how much room you have. to me the seat area seems to be narrow with the armrest against my leg on one side and the centre console against the other one.
AnswerID: 529062

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 13:09

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 13:09
The Disco is smaller on the outside bit larger on the inside than the Toyota. Reports of reliability issues are generally hearsay just as the reliability issues with the 200 series are hearsay.

In this day and age it comes down to what your preferences are. If you are not aware of it the 3.0 Diesel (I am assuming you after a diesel) comes in two states of tune so make sure you get the right one.

If tyres are important to you get the GOE rims, they are a small cost compared to the price of the vehicles - I think when comparing comparable spec levels the disco is cheaper so if you can afford the toyota you can afford the disco and goe rims.

Garry
AnswerID: 529070

Follow Up By: Boggs - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:23

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:23
I was going to get the HSE which I think only comes with the SD6V -186kW the more powerful... is that what you mean by the different tune? Seeing all the other specs of the engine are the same I expect its just the chip?
Begs the question why would they bother with two tunes? I suppose like a race engine the more power per cc the quicker the engine wears out?
FollowupID: 811748

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:57

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:57
Is more than just the map (it is not a chip) - there are other differences in the injection etc. You cannot remap a 150kw 3.0TDV6 to get a 180kw TDv6.

The first D4s still had the 2.7TDV6 as well as the 3.0TDV6 with a $15k price difference. When the 2.7 was phased out the detuned 3.0TDV6 was introduced at the lower price point to replace it - the higher tune 3.0 continued and I believe that in the UK the 3.0 is available at even a higher state of tune.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 811752

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 13:35

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 13:35
A friend of ours had a Disco 4 and loved it. Towed his Bushtracker behind it. But everyone time he asked a question of his Dealership that started with the words: "What if.....?" The reply always included the words "flat bed truck to the nearest capital city".

So he traded it for a VX 200 Series.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529072

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:01

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:01
And that is what happens with the 200 series and indeed most very late model 4wds.

However like the Disco, Toyota, Nissan etc if you know a bit about your vehicle it will rarely need the flat bed. In most cases the vehicle will continue to drive even if major faults are evident and that includes the Disco.
FollowupID: 811725

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:12

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:12
Not so, Garry.

There are Toyota dealers in far more regional and remote towns than there are Range Rover dealers.

That's the difference.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811726

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:58

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:58
Yes but most are not able to work on the newer vehicles and for major issues have to be shipped to a major centre.
FollowupID: 811753

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:15

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:15
Wrong again Garry.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811760

Follow Up By: lizard - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:45

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:45
I don't buy a vehicle expecting it to breakdown , and I tend to agree with garrycol a bit on this , and I think extended warranty on vehicles in this price range would be good investment..... still what would I know - I have a Patrol (2005 4.2 turbo intercooled ute)
FollowupID: 811767

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 18:29

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 18:29
Gone Bush - no I am not - there are plenty of reports - even on this forum of Cruisers and Prados having to be tilt trayed to Perth when they have broken down in country WA.
FollowupID: 811770

Reply By: lizard - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:38

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:38
My preference would be the Disco - however you mention a dinghy - the roof load on the Disco may not allow that
AnswerID: 529077

Follow Up By: Boggs - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:14

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:14
No, the dinghy is on the camper.. thanks for the thought anyway!
FollowupID: 811747

Reply By: Member - escapesilv - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:13

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:13
Hi Boggs.

I don't have a Disco, mainly because I can't afford a new one, but when I was looking to purchase my last new 4WD, I asked many people many questions and opinions, and the most common answer I got was " Why buy that when for that money you can buy a 3 year old Prado".

Cut a long story short I purchased what I realy wanted, and despite all the negative comments about them I have never had a problem, and am very happy (4 years later) with my choice.

There are many people that will only look for negatives on your choice, but at the end you have to buy what you realy want.
AnswerID: 529081

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:34

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:34
Although never a Disco owner I have had Range Rovers & now a Landcruiser.
Apart from personal choice issues I think the Cruiser would have it for mine because of the
friendlier wheel sizes & more dealerships.
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529082

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:00

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:00
There's no alternative to joining up to any relevant forum for your item of interest and reading through the posts. It'll take hours but you'll get a good idea of common failings. You won't get representative data though since the folk who've had no problems typically don't join in threads on problems or don't join the forum.

Eg. I'd heard a fair amount of -ve comment about the new model of a motorbike I'm thinking of buying. After so much forum research that my eyes bled it was possible to conclude that only a small part of that comment was warranted. There was a couple of possibly design faults plus the normal rate of manufacturing faults.
AnswerID: 529085

Follow Up By: Boggs - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:12

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:12
A good idea, but most of the forums are English drivers... enough said.. good South African sites (incidentally they make good gear for them too) and Oz sites.

"Long Live the People's Republic of Merseyside"

Boggs
FollowupID: 811758

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:26

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:26
I've had two Brit bikes: one from the early 70s and one from the noughties. Two swallows do not a spring make of course but I doubt I'll ever buy a Brit vehicle again. Both fit the stereotype of poor design, poor manufacture or both. Other folk have had better experiences but I have to learn from mine.

Re 4bies, there are mechanics and other tradies in the family who have high standards and a lot of experience. They're putting their own money down on the new Ranger/BT50 or, for different needs, the Forester.
FollowupID: 811763

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:53

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:53
If you want good info on any Landrover product go to

AULRO

on your search engine (google, firefox etc) then pick the appropriate vehicle pages.

You do have to register, it's free, and that allows you to ask questions and post answers if you wish.

Unfortunately this forum tends to be ToySan centric, but apart from that issue remains a mine of informationfor any travel queries.

Disco.
FollowupID: 811778

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:00

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:00
I have a friend with a D4 and he loves it. He put 19" General Grabber AT2's on it and they have been good. As for reliability, my Land Rover FL2 lost a sensor in mud at Warburton Crossing off the Birdsville Track last year which set off all the computer alarms possible, but the car still drove out and then drove over 2000 kms back to Sydney. I would expect the same of a D4. I buy what I like driving, I have the Land Rover and a Jeep, two brands that would have some people shuddering, but neither has left me stranded and they have both been to the Outback at least once each every year for the last 5 years. The real funny thing is, I go out expecting to break down and sort of plan for, but it hasn't happened which is pleasant. If I went out in a Toyota and did break down I would be extremely disappointed. I think it boils down to whether you like the blinkers on the left hand side of the steering wheel (European/US brands) or on the right (Asian brands). Yes, Land Rovers may be English but their blinkers are on the left... Cheers.
AnswerID: 529102

Reply By: Adam H - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:10

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:10
i have just purchased a D3 SE TDV6 second hand will have to agree i did hours of reading on the AULRO site, it is one of the best forums that i am apart of they are all so help full and friendly. i just love my Land Rover. it is so quite, comfortable, capable and touch wood reliable. i have 18's on mine so i have a bit more of tire options, as some people see the 19inch as deal breakers. one thing that i and my 5 foot 1inch wife love is the air suspension that can go quite low in access mode so she can get in with out climbing in and then go to full off road mode which seams to be a 2 inch lift kit (could be wrong here) in my eyes it is fantastic.
both of these car would suit you well as they are both weapons for the Outback. though for me Land rover.
AnswerID: 529150

Sponsored Links