What sort of radio to take?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:15
ThreadID: 106894 Views:2121 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we're heading from Brisbane to Charleville, Karumba, Darwin (+ Kakadu), Broome (+ Kimberley), Alice, Uluru, Winton, Brisbane. What sort of radio should we take? Meaning, is it better to get a newer digital radio or stick with analogue? (I assume we'll only get reception in or near towns.) Any comments welcome. Cheers All.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:43

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:43
We make sure we have lots of radio plays to listen to, Dick Tracy, Sherlock Holmes, Death at Midnight ect. Theres a lot of nothing between the something
AnswerID: 529064

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:43

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:43
AFAIK digital radio is only available in very large towns. A normal car radio or similar with AM and FM is the way to go. As you said reception is mainly around towns and in a lot of places only the ABC. If you want your own choice of music then take plenty of recorded music.
AnswerID: 529065

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 21:17

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 21:17
Forget Digital radio unless you are in the big cities, Even then it has limited range.

If you want AM reception in the middle of nowhere, then get a TECSUN An200 loop antenna.
It will pull strong signals out of what is other wise just noise. I just sit my AM radio inside the loop, tune the loop with the knob and turn the whole antenna for best signal. Unbelievable.

Amazing reception, and no batteries.
AN200 on Ebay
AnswerID: 529115

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:26

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:26
You should get fair to good AM reception all the way from Brissy to about Camooweal. Both ABC and commercial, the quality of the content can vary. Also most towns have a number of FM stations, mostly ABC.

From what I recall of travel in the NT, it's time to get the iPod out. Of course , the 3 major centres have both AM and FM.. Think NT has/had a short wave service as well, to keep up with ABC broadcasts.

Evenings will bring in more stations of course, but the signal might come and go a bit. Boobook's suggestion would be the go, have seen them working in NT. There have been some posts on this site singing the praises of a Chinese sourced radio, with name like Tecsun. Excellent sensitivity, at a good price. Someone may recall the details.

AM/FM reception in cars can be vastly improved by fitting longer aerials, available from makers like Mobile One. They have 2 lengths, 900mm & 1500mm, that look similar to CB aerials. However, many modern vehicles make it difficult to retro fit these aerials.

If you don't already have a portable radio, Dick Smith, Jaycar and Altronics each have "Long Range" AM/FM radios, or Sangean radios are available with SW as well. Plenty of choice.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529124

Sponsored Links