Waeco 50l on 12v

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 00:42
ThreadID: 106937 Views:2078 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Our Waeco has ceased to work on 12 volt most probably due to a failed internal fuse. I have checked that 12v power is reaching the fridge but it's just not working.

Question is do I get the fuse (presumably) repaired or as an alternative purchase an inverter to run the Waeco on 240v when it's in the tug? Also if I did go the way of the inverter what size would I require?

I would appreciate any help or advice in this matter as I'm a complete novice at electricity in any form, though I have been told by a wise man that you can't see it and that it can kill you.

Many thanks

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:49

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:49
I'd get it fixed and purchase a inverter just in case the fuse goes again whilst touring.
AnswerID: 529293

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:56

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:56
I'd get it fixed. You never know what caused it and the fault might migrate to the 240V side and you won't have any fridge then.

Phil
AnswerID: 529295

Reply By: Member - Matt M - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 09:10

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 09:10
Hi John,

As the others have suggested, better to get it fixed. If nothing else, running your fridge through an inverter is a terribly inefficient way of doing it in terms of power consumption.

Not sure how old your fridge is, but Waeco (some years ago) had a problem with a poly fuse (thermal fuse) which caused exactly the symptoms you are describing. Believe there was a 5 Amp fuse fitted and needed to be upgraded to a 10 Amp fuse. Mine was done under warranty, but that was some 8 years ago, so not sure what the current status for repair is. If that is your problem, most Waeco repair agents will recognise it straight away and the fix is relatively straight forward for a qualified repairer. Believe the fuse is soldered to a circuit board though, so probably not a home fix unless you know what you are doing.

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 529298

Reply By: Malcolm 02 - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 09:22

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 09:22
I don't have Waeco but most fridge leads cigarette lighter plug have a fuse inside them. What can cause it to blow is a bad contact between the plug and the socket as when the plug vibrates loose from the socket. (I prefer Merit style plugs and sockets for this reason)
A second point is that I have an ARB fridge, which I believe has the same internals as a Waeco and it warns that if using an inverter that it must be of the pure sine wave type.

Hope I have been helpful.

Mal
AnswerID: 529301

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:46

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:46
We've had a 50l Waeco for the last 10 years or so which ceased to chill on 2 occasions. In both instances it was the control panel which needed to be replaced, but it doesn't have a 240V inlet which I'm assuming yours does.
I'm with the rest ... get it properly fixed first.
AnswerID: 529304

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:48

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:48
How have you checked that 12v gets to the fridge John ?

Power out of the socket isn't a sufficent test.

One of the common failures is that the actual plug & socket on the fridge itself do not make contact. (fixed a couple by hard soldering that connection)

If you are sure 12v gets inside the fridge - next thing is to operate the emergency power slide switch and see if fridge comes on.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529305

Sponsored Links