Dog friendly towns?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:59
ThreadID: 106947 Views:1586 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We will be travelling with our small dog along the NSW coast from Shell Harbour to Nambucca Heads. Can anyone advise which places allow pets in outside cafe areas. We like to be able have a coffee or light lunch out. We live in Adelaide and most cafes or Pubs with tables on the pavement are dog friendly and either have signs to say so or water bowls to indicate this. We have plenty of choice now with caravan parks but discovered last year in Queensland that some Councils have very strict dog rules in relation to food consumption and preparation areas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 15:25

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 15:25
None.......and they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a cafe...

Sounds harsh ????.................sorry, but dogs and food don't mix as far as I'm concerned..

I'm happy to watch you across the street in the local park eating your lunch with a dog, but not next to me in a eatery !!
AnswerID: 529320

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 16:04

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 16:04
Funny thing with these al fresco outdoor dining areas, they were originally set up as a place to banish smokers to, now they want to ban smoking in them. Go figure!

FollowupID: 812097

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 17:47

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 17:47
Apart from Guide dogs, animals have not been permitted in eateries, however since 2012 dogs may be permitted in outdoor eating areas with permission from the proprietor, subject to them being able to access the area without going through the indoors area, eg street cáfes. This has been left to the discretion of the eatery owners and conditions may apply.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529326

Reply By: belfastgirl1943 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:47

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:47
Thank you for your replies BUT I really would like to hear from someone who travels with a dog.
The reason for the question is that we understand everyone does not like or welcome dogs . We want to travel with our little rescued dog who was severely maltreated before we got her - but at the same time we do not wish to cause any inconvenience to other people - so we thought it would be more comfortable for all concerned if we found out were we would be welcome .
AnswerID: 529365

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:29

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:29
We travelled everywhere with our Jack Russell, including NSW coast and Queensland. We were always able to find a café with outside seating where it was easy to sit with a dog. If the outside tables can only be reached by going through the café or if the outside area is a purpose built deck separated from the footpath you would not be able to sit with your dog but these situations are rare. There are always plenty of people with dogs around. By the coast there are all the local dog walkers as well as tourists and cafes are usually keen to get their business. If your dog is small enough to carry you can usually take her to lots of places. When our dog was getting old we bought a dog carrier back pack which enabled us to carry her comfortably and that was a big success. We also found it quite easy to find good puppy day care when we wanted to visit National Parks or go on a boat trip etc. Just check for local kennels or vets. We often had Caravan Park managers look after her for a day too - then sometimes we shared dog minding with other campers. Generally our dog caused us little inconvenience and gave us a lot of fun and exercise. Take yours and enjoy the experience. Lynne
AnswerID: 529370

Follow Up By: belfastgirl1943 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 14:26

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 14:26
Hi John and Lynne, thank you so much for your informative reply. It certainly has eased our minds. Once we have finalised our itinerary I will check out all your suggestions. Althought our dog is only 6 she has health problems so I will follow up on the dog carrier back pack as well. Happy Travelling, Margaret, Philip and Honey
FollowupID: 812184

Reply By: Member - Bruce B5 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:57

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:57
Hello belfastgirl1943

Just like to say I have two little dogs that we love very much I have not been a long the nsw South Coast but I am sure there would be places that would welcome you little pooch for a lunch break you could try a tourist info centre or send them a e-mail I know we're I live in warracknabeal Vic you would be welcome & we have a nice caravan park two & nice parks even a little free zoo were you can walk your pooch on a lead LOL .

Bruce b
AnswerID: 529402

Follow Up By: belfastgirl1943 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:12

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:12
Hi Bruce, What a good idea re contacting the tourist info centres. Maybe one day we will get to dog friendly Warracknabeal. Cheers
Margaret
FollowupID: 812235

Sponsored Links