MPPT isolator switch

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 17:00
ThreadID: 106952 Views:1415 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,,

A quick query if I may. Just in the process of rigging up the wiring and mounting the controller for a solar panel. The panel will be stowed away and only brought out to charge an AGM DC battery as required. The vehicle does the charging through a smart relay while driving.
I intend putting an isolator switch in the circuit and am not sure if it would be best to be between the battery and the MPPT controller or between the panel and the controller. Keeping in mind that when driving the panel will be stowed and disconnected , will isolating the controller from the battery be on any advantage.

Many thanks in advance for any input (no pun intended)

Cheers
Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 19:37

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 19:37
No battery charger of any type will draw a significant phantom current from the battery when they are not operational. With that in mind I would not be installing a switch anywhere.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529334

Reply By: Aussie Noel - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:35

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:35
Hi Pop Put your switch between the battery and your solar controller as the controller will draw 15 to 100 millie amps[ depending on the brand ] from your battery, when you have no solar input. Its like having a small hole in a water tank, in the end it will be empty Regards Noel
AnswerID: 529362

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 00:09

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 00:09
HI
Take care if switching the regulator to battery input
That can lead to permenent damage of some solar controller's electronics
CHECK the conrtoller manual!!
it will/should indicate the required connection priorities

PeterQ
FollowupID: 812222

Sponsored Links