Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 17:28
ThreadID: 106954 Views:1635 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Tracks have no labels/names in the Vic High Country. I spent a lot of time checking track signs against our Hema paper maps.
Fix in next upgrade ?
Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DjohnW - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 20:19

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 20:19
Hi Willie,
How did the Bushtracker go down there, I was there during the week with my Tvan (great fun with 3 other Tvans and a Topaz)
You may remember me re your ex 100series 2nd row flatbed that I picked up from your place
Cheers
Dennis
AnswerID: 529341

Follow Up By: Member - Michael W14 - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 21:24

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 21:24
Hi Dennis,

I have installed a great new alloy cargo platform in my 200 Series. We keep our two bikes in there permanently.

Elvis the Bushtracker went great in the High Country. We went from Buchan to Omeo on the Limestone Road. Unhitched in Omeo for three days and did some drives and walks in the area.

Then went to Dargo on the Birregun Road - went on a Sunday to avoid meeting logging trucks. No sweat, except had to clear a fallen tree to get through. Had an unpluggable flat tyre at Dogs Grave too.

After Dargo, we camped at Grant for the night - beautiful spot, all to ourselves. Unhitched next day and drove down to Talbotville. I love all those old gold mining areas as I am an avid gold prospector.

From Grant we took the Dargo High Plains Road North to Hotham. Now where at Beechworth touring all the vineyards. Off to Rutherglen tomorrow.

So we did not tackle any challenging tracks, just had a relaxing week.
I am guessing you would have been a bit more adventurous with your little Tvan. We actually saw a Tvan near Grant and I can remember telling my wife they were the best camper for serious four wheel driving
adventures.

Cheers,

Willie.

FollowupID: 812122

Reply By: Member - DjohnW - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 22:27

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 22:27
Hi Willie,
Great to hear from you again,I noted your enquiry about suitable tracks before your departure but I had no previous experience in the area before undertaking the Beyond Hotham 10 day adventure so could give no info.
We had a great time in the high country also and the middle section included a 4 day 3 night trek with the Tvans leaving Mt. Hotham via Twins Jeep Track and Tea tree Range down into the Buckland Valley and then various tracks with and without the Tvans before camping at Talbotville for a couple of nights and doing various tracks in that region( beautiful country).
We left Talbotville via McMillans through Grant where you stayed.
Visited lots of mining and hut sites during our trip and it has only increased our appetite to return and explore further.
Might even have to do the Beyond Hotham thing again(great group of people, would recommend to anyone).
Cheers
Dennis
AnswerID: 529352

Follow Up By: Member - DjohnW - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 22:43

Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 22:43
Reflecting on your gold prospecting interest, one of the day trips involved a trip down Machinery Spur north of Mt Hotham to the only remaining high country operating gold mine called Red Robin Mine.( this is a closed track only opened by Parks for the Beyond Hotham event)
We also walked to various huts at the bottom of the spur.
This was a day of great interest to all who participated.
FollowupID: 812128

Sponsored Links