Winches what's good

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 22:47
ThreadID: 106975 Views:2828 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all only new to here i would like some advise on winches for my Prado I have been looking at the tiger11 but the warns are also on my list but would like feed back on the tigers if they are any good
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 23:13

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 23:13
I’ve had a winch for the last 7 years.
An old friend down the road has had one for 20 years.
We have both circumnavigated Australia a couple of time and not used our winches in anger.
It all depends on your needs - but I wouldn’t waste my money on a winch again – a set of Maxtraks have got me out of any troubles to date.
AnswerID: 529405

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 09:36

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 09:36
Dennis,

totally agree. The huge mass of the winch and requisite bar work add to the sprung vehicle mass, increasing fuel consumption and wear on suspension/drive line etc.

Like the hi-lift jack - best left at home!

Bob
FollowupID: 812314

Reply By: exmouth1 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 23:40

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 23:40
G, day Adam
You need to decide if you need an expensive or cheaper brand, warn have a budget range which may be all you need, it's called a TABOR. I had an Ironman which got me out of trouble on the telegraph track. It is now u/s as it got water in the motor. Ps none of them are water proof if submerged for period of time.
The decission will be yours only, many people will say they are a waste of money, but you must ask the question, do they really get off the beaten track or not.
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 529408

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 02:14

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 02:14
G'day Adam,

I travelled 1000s of kms without winch but mostly we travel with others.
I have full recovery gear and a tirfor winch.
I have used the Tirfor 3 times but I couldn't tell you how many times I've used to snatch strap for me and others.

Just remember a winch is heavy. You'll be adding a lot of weight o the front of the vehicle.
We do a lot of long distance touring and reducing the load I'm carrying is more important than having an electric winch.
If you don't have a dual battery setup you'll need that too because they draw a heap of power when they're in use.

That's my opinion.

Steve
FollowupID: 812228

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 11:01

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 11:01
They do use a heap of power, I still run mine off the main battery without any problems.
I have the engine idle up to 1500rpm and only use the winch with the 30sec on then 30 second off rule.
FollowupID: 812249

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:58

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:58
Recently I have considered hydraulic winches as an alternative but I still reckon a winch isn't a necessity for our needs.

This info on winches article on this website has some good info.

Steve
FollowupID: 812261

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 14:52

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 14:52
I have had an ox hydraulic winch for many years virtually maintainance free works under water , have seen a number of electric winches not work when needed due to lack of maintainance , bad electrical contacts.etc
But needs the engine to run to operate.
FollowupID: 812269

Reply By: NTVRX - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 04:52

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 04:52
Buy from local dealer who will look after you if the winch is faulty I bought a 13000lb winch and it was the topdeal oz but has never worked. Many of the companies/sellers that advertise on the internet set themselves up in w/houses or residential properties & once they have your money they do not wish to know you & e bay suffers these unscrupulous sellers because they receive money for selling fees. If you do go the e bay advertised product DO NOT buy from any seller less than 100% feedback. My seller feller was 98% and ignores e bay messages but they still allow him to trade. I have a warn 9500lb and it is brilliant. You must service the winch properly especially if you submerge it. Ignorance will cost you in the end.
AnswerID: 529415

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 08:04

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 08:04
I've had a Ironman 12000lb winch for 3 years. I was a bit hesitant at first with this brand, it was cheap compared to Warn but it has proven to be a very good winch. As already mentioned, you must have a winch serviced every months to keep it reliable. Like any motor, look after it and it will look after you.

I would also add that having a remote for the winch makes like easier and ensure you either buy a winch with a good quality 30m synthetic rope or replace the cable with rope asap and give it a clean every now and then.

FollowupID: 812233

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 08:06

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 08:06
Just following up my previous post, I meant to write "service winch every 12 months."
FollowupID: 812234

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:10

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:10
I have a premier brand winch, had it for 15 years used it a lot. Good quality and strong. If I was going again I would go Ironman. Their customer service is faultless and the guys who sell the stuff use the stuff so they're tested and proven. I have a tirfor style winch too, but since I have had the front mount its not been used. They too are heavy and hard work BUT they will pull you out sideways or backwards. I got the frontmount for ease of use. If it was for the possible occasional use I would get a tirfor style winch.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529417

Reply By: jacent - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:16

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:16
On my old cruiser I has a x9 super winch supplied from Toyota great winch no issues, new hilux has a mean mother winch but haven't tried it yet, I always remote tour single Car so a winch for us is piece of Mind as well as max trax
AnswerID: 529419

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:58

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:58
Adam,

have a read of this important thread. It goes a long way towards explaining the pitfalls of using some of the cheaper options and who will support their product. Reading the fine print on the brand you are looking at and others, your winch is not covered if;

"Exclusion: The product has been subject to abnormal conditions,including environment ,temperature ,water , fire, humidity ,pressure stress or similar.."

I mean for christ's sake, ITS A WINCH. Unfortunately if you use it as such and you may find you are plumb out of luck if it packs it in.

WINCH WARRANTEE's

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529421

Reply By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:59

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:59
Adam S7
I have carried a winch around now for the past 12 years or so, and I would not be without it. Most of its use has been to recover both the car and caravan from either mud or sand (200 series Landcruiser and 23 ft caravan, total weight almost 6 tonne). I currently have a Tigers11 (about 3 years ) fitted with Dynema rope and of 12000lbs capacity and the only trouble I have had is with the relays supplied. I have now replaced their single relay with 4 starter motor relays that were typically used on English vehicles using Lucas electricals,(early Ford Cortina or Morris Mini). These are similar in appearance to the continuous duty relays that are commonly used in dual battery systems, but at a fraction of the price, and as they are not used in a continuous on situation they are quite suitable for the application. These relays are similar to, and wired in the same manner as, the relays used by Warn winches.

My first winch was a Warn 8000lbs, and that one broke the brush holder in the motor, a part that was not very easily obtained at the time.

Hope this helps and enjoy your travels.

Athol
AnswerID: 529422

Reply By: Member - Adam S7 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:53

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:53
Thanks for all the advice has been great I know people say that you don't need one but when you travel on your own and get of the beaten track it's good to know that you have the gear to get our of trouble thanks again
AnswerID: 529424

Follow Up By: Nate1 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:41

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:41
Mate none mentioned above and one that I purchased is the Smittybuilt. 10000lb and claimed to be fully sealed fully water proof. Your local ARB should now stock them. Very very big in America. Won't hurt to have a look at them. I'm vey happy with mine.
FollowupID: 812259

Follow Up By: 671 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 20:40

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 20:40
" when you travel on your own and get of the beaten track it's good to know that you have the gear to get our of trouble thanks again "

It depends on where that off the beaten track is. Len Beadell said in his DVD that looked back on his work in the desert that the first time he tried using a winch to get out of a bog, it ripped every mulga tree within reach right out of the ground by the roots and the car did not move. Finding a good anchor point in the Outback is often a major problem unless you like digging holes and burying your spare wheel.

It is not so bad in the mountains but there is still no guarantee that you will find something suitable when on your own. My wife and I do a lot of solo desert travel and don't take a winch. We occasionally take a hand winch on mountain tracks but so far we have only used it to move fallen trees. They are great for that and can save a lot of chopping.

We always make sure we don't get stuck by getting local advice on track conditions, weather etc. We get out and check any rough spots first and don't proceed unless we are sure we can get through. Solo recovery is not a lot of fun and not always successful.
FollowupID: 812293

Follow Up By: Joe G2 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 07:42

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 07:42
I just had a quick read about the Smittybuilt winches it only states the solenoid is waterproof, the do look good though.

Joe.
FollowupID: 812307

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 21:39
They are all good when they work. You are going to get differing opinions on all brands, I think the best way to decide is to look at the scenario of what will you do when it stops working.
-where will you take it for service?
-will you be required to freight it interstate to the supplying company
-How much will this freighting cost
-Who is going to remove and refit it to my vehicle?
-how long will it be gone for and can I be without it for that long?
- will I still be able to get parts in the future?

Answering the above questions will shorten your options list substantially
AnswerID: 529467

Reply By: Penchy - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 08:29

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 08:29
Below is a link to another forum that has a pretty fair comparison of winches on the market, with a standout winner. Worth a read if you have the time.

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/general-4x4-discussion/25959-winch-warrantys-who-support-when-walk.html

AnswerID: 529476

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 13:13

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 13:13
Penchy - same as Mick O's link above.
FollowupID: 812319

Follow Up By: Penchy - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 13:16

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 13:16
Apologies, I didn't open that link.
FollowupID: 812321

Sponsored Links