Tinted windows visibility problems?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 14:21
ThreadID: 106981 Views:2045 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Testing vehicles recently I've noticed most are tinted.

At my age I need all the visibility I can get, especially at dusk or during the night.

Does anyone have visibility issues with the tinting, particularly the privacy glass on the back window?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev6 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 14:48

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 14:48
Hi mick T3,

I have after market tinting on our cruiser an don't seem to find visibility an issue (I am 47 so maybe not as old as you), the benefits we find with reduced heat and glare problems makes it worth it. This is the second car that I have had done and I am also considering doing the little Mazda that we just brought.

The other thing you could possibly do is go to a window tinting place and get some off cuts and sticky tape them to your current untinted windows and see if you like the result.

Good luck with the research

Trevor
AnswerID: 529432

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 15:28

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 15:28
One of the most annoying things I have ever experienced with dangerous visibility in any vehicle. We had just purchased the Toyota and we went for a night time drive through Kangaroo Valley to Nowra. Those who know the drive will know that there are a few very sharp switchbacks where you can't see around them without looking out the side windows. On the first one, it was to the right, I turned my head to look out the window and all was black. I couldn't see a bloody thing. The headlights were pointing straight ahead, no street lighting at all and I am trying to look at the road which was to the right at 90 degrees to the car. As dark as . . The bloody tint. All I could do was turn sharp to get around the corner. Luckily as usual we were pretty well only crawling along. I was effectively blind.

The window went down after that and we damned well froze until we got off the mountain. That tinting came off the very next day. Even before it went over the pits. And we also found out that it would have been knocked back. Okay for the rear windows but way, way too dark for the front ones.

I also had a feeling of driving through a tunnel. Nothing at the side of the car. Yes you could see in the daytime and in town where there was street lighting. But not out of town.

I won't have any again at least on the three windows at the front. There is some around the back but it is quite weak in comparison to the rubbish that was on it before.

No way Jose.

Phil

PS: besides, ours is not a "marfia car".
AnswerID: 529433

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 17:49

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 17:49
There are a lot of issues with window tint...but some people just dont care.

Tint on the rear window can make your inside rear vision mirror near useless in certain situations....and that is with a single payne of glass.

In my utes there are 3 paynes of glass between the rear vision mirror and the outisde world....the actual, galls rear window of the cab, untinted, the front window of the canopy lightly tinted as comes, and the rear window of the canopy..as comes.

The inside rear vision is non existant at night...in fact most of the time if I look in that mirror at night all I see is the road in front comming toward me thru the back window....quite freeky.

I would not have tint on the side windowns in the front doors......plain clear glass can be enough of a problem at times.

cheers

AnswerID: 529440

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 08:16

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 08:16
When we got our cruiser’s windows tinted we had a choice of what tint. The one I selected and I don’t recall the details, works brilliantly and is fine at night. During drives in the strong sun light it makes a big difference. Kevin
AnswerID: 529475

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:49

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:49
There is an interesting expose on window tinting from RACV on this link. It's convinced me not to worry about getting it in the future,
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529484

Reply By: Chris (Qld) - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:10

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:10
Window tinting is one of the first mod's I do to a vehicle and if you only tint to a max legal allowable shade (allowing for factory tint) I cannot see a problem.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 529485

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:26

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:26
I find the factory tinted glass is ok, I have after market on another car and that was done to the Australian standard for the darkest legal tint and that is ok too.

Another aspect to consider is cataracts?

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529487

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:26

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:26
I have had all three cars done darker than legal, I live in the outback and the temperatures are very high, it helps the air conditioner out so much, I don't have an issue with night time driving ( only 29) so eye sight still good! Never been hassled by the police but I think that is more to do with the way you attract their attention though
AnswerID: 529488

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 13:14

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 13:14
You may never be hassled by the real police but now you have come to the attention of a police force that is much more enthusiastic in goody goodyness. The Exploroz self appointed, dad's army, police force.

FollowupID: 812320

Follow Up By: Mark S (cns) - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 17:45

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 17:45
Ain't that the truth Boobook! (Or should I say 'Isn't'?)
FollowupID: 812336

Sponsored Links