The Developement Rd Cape York

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 14:19
ThreadID: 106997 Views:1713 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This is my first topic here so not sure of the
But firstly hello to all and sundry.

We are planning our trip around Oz later this year towing a 25ft caravan. Some say the Development Rd is to rough for caravans to trek on. Is this true or is it well maintained.

Daryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 15:03

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 15:03
Depends on when you go in relation to when it was last graded. If soon after, it shouldn't be a problem. Any other time it will possibly/probably destroy your van.
AnswerID: 529500

Follow Up By: 322 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 15:30

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 15:30
Thanks. That what I'm being told.
FollowupID: 812329

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 16:05

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 16:05
However it is possible to do it on a bicycle, so just drive to the conditions and you can get there and back in one piece.

Don't get caught up in the 'gotta do over 80k to smooth out the corrugations' rubbish. All roads are different and need to be handled accordingly.

Do your homework (there is a lot of info on this site, just search for it before asking a lot of questions already answered), and be prepared (prepare yourself and your vehicles.....again a lot of info within the site).

Have I said it already? Preparation is your friend. So is Google and this site, and local Council recommendations and guidance. Some caravan forums, vehicle specific forums (for towing vehicle preparation).

And believe 10% of what you hear and read.
AnswerID: 529501

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 16:35

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 16:35
So Regina, is the bit about the bicycle the 10% dinkum and the rest crap?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 812333

Reply By: Mark T6 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:00

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:00
I did the Cape in 2012, no van just camping.

We went in late July so after the School Holidays and the busiest time up there.

The road was in a "good to fair" condition for most of the way, I did the OTT so did miss some of the Development Road on the way up but we came back this way and it was consistent with what we experienced going up.

There were quite a few vans at Loyalty Beach (where we camped) and not all of them were Kedron / Bushtracker......surprisingly a few Jayco Outbacks, a Millard and a few other semi off roaders.

I have a Lotus so was keen to see how they went, none had any breakages (as far as the van or inside went), a few had some food spills and some broken glasses (personally I don't take glass in my caravan but I know why some would as wine out of a stainless steel goblet is.....well...crap).

But overall most were pretty happy....the secret for them all was tyre pressures (low) and speed (very low)....the Kedrons / Bushtrackers probably came up at 80 KPH, the guy in the Millard told me he never went over 50....slow trip BUT he got there.

Dust was an issue for most (even for us just in Fourby's) and you just can't escape it up there with dozens of trucks plying the roads.

Would I take my Lotus up there......probably not, although I am sure it would make it.

But we are avid campers as well as caravanners......we just do whatever is most suitable for the road.

Research is your friend, but I agree don't believe more than 10% of what you read.
AnswerID: 529508

Reply By: Tony F8 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:23

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:23
The PDR is now pretty well under constant work by the road crews, they generally try to get it good for the school holidays in june.
So its reason to best get up there 2 weeks before the holidays.
Your van should have no problems, lower your tyre pressure a little to soften the rough spots. If you get to Bramwell junction and it hasn't been to good, leave the van and head up with the basics, you can get pretty well all you need in the way of supplies at Bamaga and Siesia. You will pay freight on what you buy, but remember nearly all is sea freighted into Siesia. Use more of whats between the ears and les of what's attached to the right ankle and you should have no worries at all.
Cheers Tony F8.
AnswerID: 529513

Follow Up By: wjh41 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 20:52

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 20:52
Yes I agree,we towed a Windsor Genisis high clearance van up there last year just before the June holidays and the track was pretty good just beware of the creek crossings.go for it.wally
FollowupID: 812356

Sponsored Links