camper trailers

Submitted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1070 Views:2451 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am from Perth. Any Camper Trailers for sale or hire. I have a Feroza 1.6 and wanting to go north in July. Any advice from others on how much weight a trailer can handle- both on road and off road. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave M - Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
Pete, coming from someone that has under spec'ed and broken a trailer on the Gibb River Rd, the motto is always "less is best". Biggest temptation is to load them up with that extra few kg's. I reckon you need at least 300kg's in a trailer & canvas tent or else it is likely to be too lightly engineered.... Depends how rough you're going to get, but be warned, corrugations alone killed my trailer (once) by simply fatiguing box section RHS on the drawbar.... Good luck!, Dave M
AnswerID: 3291

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Pete,
I have to admit I've never seen a Feroza towing a camper trailer! But I suppose if you have one, and need to go, then why not? Just remember that your vehicle is very lightweight and is not big on torque so it is not ideally suited as a towing machine. Towing a trailer will impede on your vehicle's handling so I would suggest you run some test drives so see how 1. the vehicle handles the particular trailer (put some weight in the trailer), and 2. how you handle the trailer. Please read our tips for towing trailers, if you haven't already as weight distribution and tow couplings make a big difference, especially in offroad conditions. This doesn't answer your exact qns, but on that point we have towed about 1.5tonne in a trailer towed by a 4.2L diesel Landcruiser. It was very bad up sanddunes I can assure you! The main restriction on weight in your trailer is a regulation on its construction. ie. over 750kg tarre a trailer needs brakes, most camper trailers will be around 450kg tarre. So, its not the trailer that can handle the weight but your driving skill and your pocket to fuel that drag!
AnswerID: 3295

Reply By: ken - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
pete i have a camper trailer for sale which has passed the test it is lic for 2 tons and can be used as a trailer by it self with stands for the camper it has disc brakes and 4 cupboards built in a trek hitch 2 double beds and annex.see it to believe it ,perth ken
AnswerID: 3342

Reply By: pete - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
Ken, Sounds like great trailer. I only have a feroza. Could a 1.6 lt. handle a 2 ton trailer. Not for much off road use. Also how much are you asking?
thanks,
pete
AnswerID: 3367

Follow Up By: Ken - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
pete the camper wieght 420kgs all up with trailer but without any luggage or any camping equipment tows easy with my 3ltr nissan Im asking $6100 and on inspection you would see the value.all canvas work was done by G K Trimmers and cost me $2500 which was a good price because we had two camper done the same at the same time.
Ken
FollowupID: 1373

Reply By: pete - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Ken,
I am not sure my Feroza could handle the weight. Its good though.Thanks,
Pete
AnswerID: 3582

Sponsored Links