RACV and insurance

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 10:52
ThreadID: 107021 Views:2979 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey community,

I am planning on driving around Australia for the next 15months or so. During this time I will hopefully get around once and take my Nissan Patrol into some lighter offroading. Anyway since I am from overseas I have a few questions concerning road recovery services and insurances.

Is there any reason not to sign up for RACV roadside assistance? From what I understand all the roadside assistances in Australia cooperate and thus they help you out when you have problems on-road. Or are there some car-insurances which offer something alike through their policies?

With the registration of a car comes an insurance for damages towards people that I hurt in case of an accident but no property damage. I would definately make sure that I cover that risk and in best case also my own car. My biggest concerns are, that I don't have a residence in Australia, foreign passport and my car is a 4wd with light mods (i.e. 2" lift kit). Since insurance isn't exactly something I am very familiar with, are there any good comparison sites or sources that I should read up upon? Would it be worth it covering myself in case of offroad breakdown or is that just too expensive?

Thanks for any advice and recommendations

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gabriele C - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:56

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:56
Hi there Phillips
I'm a foreigner too so I think I understand your concern. First of all, as you might have noticed, you need 2 insurances on your car. The first one is the compulsory third party that comes with the rego. The second is the one that you decide to have. Now Being from overseas I would suggest you to have a fully comprehensive insurance that will cover you for enything including damages you do to your own vehicle. The roadside assistance is a peace of mind and is good to have. But be aware that not all insurance company cover you for off road. So make sure you ask the specific question: " do you cover my car for off road travels?". It might sound ridiculous but some of them will not do it even if you drive a vehicle for off road purposes. I would not worry about the extra expense for off-road damages because when you will need it, you will be very gratefull you took that decision.
Check out Toyota insurance. I had it for 5 years and they are great and very reasonably priced. And don't worry about the name, I have a Nissan too and they don't care about the make of your car, doesn't have to be a Toyota .
AnswerID: 529579

Reply By: PGU - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 18:09

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 18:09
Do the big insurance companies like AAMI, RACV, Budget Direct etc. cover you when you are offroad i.e. National Park track?


AnswerID: 529611

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 18:57

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 18:57
I'm with CGU & yes, at least they do.

The roadside assist may be a bit different though? We're with the RAA & I don't think they would cover us off a gazetted road.

You may want to consider where you register the car too; here in SA the Govt has made changes to compulsory 3rd party insurance & it no longer covers anything other than catastrophic injuries to your passengers & others. Everything else, your passengers & others have to sue you personally - not good! I don't know how other states are dealing with this issue?

FollowupID: 812425

Reply By: Geoff - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 20:09

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 20:09
It could be worth your while going for increased cover on the roadside assist,it is cheap for the peace of mind.I recently had to be recovered from the Gibb River Rd to Derby,cost was $2300.Luckily had increased my RAC roadside assist,so this was covered.I think the limit is $7000,can be used for recovery,accommodation,car hire.
AnswerID: 529699

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)