towing with new fangled auto / change rear springs

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 12:06
ThreadID: 107022 Views:1871 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,have purchased a new BT50 Freestyle XTR auto ute and replaced tub with ally tray. GVM is 3 tonne{I know Iknow leave kitchen sink behind} an van comes in at 2 tonne with 200kg download[included in GVM]First question is with six speed auto with two overdrives and no 1 to 1 top gear do I just leave it in auto when towing or do I select manual and drive to the tacho ?.Also with all this weight I am looking at upgrading rear springs to 500 kg sax suspension [springs and shockies] or 600kg old man emu rear kit. On previous BT50 used 100lb air bags for 80000kays with no problems but might be to big an ask on new vehicle.Any experiences/opinions greatly appreciated.Ta from older , but apparently no wiser with new technology ,bloke .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 12:52

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 12:52
Not that I think airbags are really suited to the lighter chassis of modern vehicles (maybe ok with small pressures as assist) but the new BT50 would be able to tolerate the airbags better than the older weaker chassis on previous BT50's.
It worked Ok but the new one is stronger in the rear rails sections.

Just an observation will reveal that fact.

If you run the engine revs at the road speed you wish to travel at so the revs are at a point where the power and torque curves just about cross each other it should be the most economical at that position without loading the torque converter, which if it has to slip will create fluid heat above what is necessary.

Towing! does it have a transmission cooler, so IT gets rid of the auto fluid heat before dumping the heat into the engine cooling system water? That keeps all systems not being heat stressed.
AnswerID: 529582

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 13:43

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 13:43
M&N's,
Have a look in your operating manual. When towing pull lever over into sports mode and let it do the rest. It will change down earlier and also not change up if load is too great. The vehicle will also tend to rev out a little further if a load is sensed, before changing up.

It also probably won't drop into 6th gear below 100kph if it drops into that gear at all.

As for the springs I don't know if I would go to 500kg unless they are very progressive springs. See if you can go for a ride in one empty fitted with those springs.

For what it is worth, my vehicle has 300kg OME springs and tows 2.5t+ with the vehicle weight around 3050kg.

I also am not a fan of airbags.
AnswerID: 529584

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 13:47

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 13:47
Should have added. You will probably have to fit in front struts to give the front a 50mm lift, as the vehicle will sit very high in the bum without the new struts.
FollowupID: 812400

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 16:02

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 16:02
I also went a comfort lift on the ranger and tow nearly the capacity with it. 500k.g. is going to get pretty agricultural with no load in.
FollowupID: 812411

Sponsored Links