Beetoota to Winton road

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:45
ThreadID: 10705 Views:2865 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip to Birdsville and beyond and was wondering if anyone knows the road conditions of the road from
Betetoota to Winton which passes Monkira, Dimantina lakes, Devenport Downs through to Winton
All help would be much appreciated
Lynne and Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:19

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:19
At the moment most of it is most likely to be under water seeing as the Diamantina is in flood.Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 47593

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 20:01

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 20:01
What month are you planning this good trip?These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309624

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 19:36
Something I forgot to mention..........Use this site to get information about current road conditions Australia wide. Click on On the Road tab and follow on from there. Up to date road conditions are given. This brings up the question...why would you ask about road conditions if you were only going in May?

Ruth,

I have seen you post in the wrong spaces before. If you want to answer a question then go to Post Reply at the bottom of the thread. If you want to answer and individual post in the thread then go to Submit Follw-up. Hope this helps. Must be all the heat and water and squeets and hoppers and tarantulas.

Cheers,
Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
FollowupID: 309719

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:51
Sorry, sorry Willem - gosh, I'm always in trouble. The sandflies have gone, the heat has gone, the water is going and I'm off to Mt Isa - shopping. I'll try to be good in future Willem.These are Diamantina Barra (Yellowbelly)
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309746

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:14

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:14
Wal,

The route you mention traverses a variety of land types, and is an interesting trip. Road conditions will vary, and you should be prepared for bull dust and washouts. You will travel through 3 shires, with the quality of roads in each being good to lousy.

As Willem said some of it would be underwater at this moment, so you may need a long snorkel.

You would be better to travel from Betoota through Mooraberrie, Palparara and onto Davenport. The road from Monkira to Davenport can be pretty rough at times, especially after the rain, when cattle use it as a thoroughfare as well. 100 kms of dried out cattle tracks won't put you in a good mood, nor do your vehicle any good.

There has been storms on this road today, above Diamantina Lakes, so this time of year is not wise. Too bloody hot anyway.

Wal, better spell Diamantina right next time, or we won't let you share this special place with us, yell out if you need more info.

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 47634

Reply By: wallynett - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:24

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:24
Thanks for that Bob, yes I should know how to spell dimantina as I lived at Birdsville for 2 years in the late 80's , so stand repreimanded.
Thanks for the info. We are not intending to travel up that way until middle of May so will assess the situation then. Have friends at Roseberth station who will be keeeping us in touch as well.
Wal
AnswerID: 47639

Sponsored Links