Leveling fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 23:21
ThreadID: 107055 Views:1680 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Most of the time we get both right but which is more important
A back and front
B sideways
is there a preference for better efficiency?????

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 23:44

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 23:44
Sideways is the most important to be level.

The fridge has it's pipes which contain the separation screens for the ammonia bubbles to leave the solution inside and those pipes are at an angle so it will all happen.

However, the side to side out of whack, means the holes in the screens are not in a vertical position so it can easily cause the necessary separation of those bubbles for the cooling process to occur.
I once parked my vehicle on such an angle and it hardly cooled the portable fridge. level OK.

Although treated kindly on a special rubber mount the tubular creens came loose in the fridge tubes and it was cactus, two went that way. Now use compressor fridges.
AnswerID: 529718

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 01:04

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 01:04
When you are talking front and back are you referring to the fridge cabinet or the van? You should have a bullseye level that came with the van. When the bubble is within the green sector the fridge will work to its maximum efficiency. Being a round level that means that the fridge should not exceed the magic angle in any direction (diagonally as well.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529722

Reply By: landseka - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 14:08

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 14:08
Levelling your van / camper front to back is easy with the jockey wheel.

Left to right can be done with ramps, wood blocks & even - if appropriate to location digging shallow holes for the high wheel(s) to drop into.

The easiest way I know of for checking for level is to have the above mentioned Bulls Eye Bubble mounted on the drawbar where it is easily visible.

First, level the rig so the fridge is level and to do this put the bubble on the freezer base then get it level with a jack & jockey wheel. Then...find a spot on the drawbar to place the bubble so it agrees that the rig is level. Silicone the bubble here. If a spot cant be found then you need to make a bed of silicone & prop the bubble in place until the silicone goes off.

It is much quicker to do this than to type it out :-(
AnswerID: 529754

Reply By: Tessysdad - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 15:00

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 15:00
Hi New Boy,
I'm not sure about the side to side as we always get that right 'cause I don't like falling out of bed. Actually it is because I find the water drains away from the shower better. Having said that, we usually have the front of the van a fraction higher than level as that seems to provide the best performance from our fridge. Our fridge is located on the driver's side of the rig, so I would imagine it would be the opposite (i.e. back slightly higher) if the fridge was located on the other side of the rig. I don't know the technicalities involved, I just knows what works for us.
Cheers,
Mike.
AnswerID: 529832

Sponsored Links