Driving from Brisbane to Uluru

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 17:12
ThreadID: 107071 Views:3187 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, me and a couple of friends are hoping to go to Uluru soon, we've got about ten days to do the trip in but are on a really tight budget so are thinking we will drive (I reckon it will be less than half the price of flying!) We were just wanting some advice on which way to get there and if it will really be possible in this time frame? We are all drivers and would be happy to take shift so drive long days but if possible some nice stop of places would be good. We were thinking of just renting out a camper, does anyone know if the drive would be possible in one or would we need a 4x4? Any advice anyone has would be really really great! or even if you know another really cheap way to get there?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 19:22

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 19:22
G'day Emily

Given your time frame, the quickest way is all bitumen. Head west towards Charleville, turn north at Morven then up to Barcaldine, Cloncurry, Mt Isa and across to the Three Ways then down to Alice Springs etc. That's black top all the way to the rock. There are shorter ways , but mostly dirt. Also you won't need 4WD so heaps cheaper to hire a normal camper.

You are correct about some long days driving or you'll run short on time. Work out how far you'd like to go each day with a map and you'll find some good spots to camp.

Quite a few pubs have camping out the back for a modest fee and they're great places for a feed, a beer and a yarn with the locals.

AnswerID: 529777

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:25

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:25
To do the drive mentioned above is basically 3500 klms each way, so if you you allow 4 days driving each way (which requires about 900klms a day of driving) you have one or 2 days to spend exploring the rock and Olgas.

FollowupID: 812568

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:30

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:30
Yep ......

It's a big ask in 10 days !!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 812570

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:12

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:12
But there is 3 of them so if they were willing to just drive basically non-stop by taking turns (and sleep in vehicle) until they get there they'll have a bit of time for a look around. Not saying it's a good idea - just that it is possible. Personally I wouldn't want to do it.

Take particular care from dusk to dawn i.e. slow down.

Might be cheaper to hire a car rather than a camper - quicker travelling, more fuel efficient. Take a tent.

Watch out for Mick Taylor.
FollowupID: 812606

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:32

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:32
Hi Emily if you have 10 days for a RETURN trip, that's a heck of a trip! It's about 3500km each way via Mt Isa, but if you're only going one way, it gives you plenty of time. Stick to the black top and don't drive at dawn or dusk (or at night) and you'll see plenty. A couple of days in Alice is good, not only for some R & R, but also to see some of local sight eg Desert Park and Reptile Centre, the RFDS centre, the old Telegraph Station are all worth a look. QANTAS museum in Longreach and the School of Air. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other tips without the need to get off the bitumen and you won't need a 4WD. Safe travels.
AnswerID: 529785

Reply By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:56

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:56
Emily,

I will be travelling in the opposite direction in May, Perth to Cape York. All the research indicates the Outback Way is the shortest track across Aus. The sections in Qld run through very interesting country and mostly on the black top.
They have a very good web site www.outbackway.org.au. Not sure if this will fit your trip requirements but have a look.
Enjoy.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529831

Reply By: ian.g - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 16:34

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 16:34
If it was me I would be flying into Alice and then hiring a car or camper to do Uluru and the Olgas, you only have to hit a roo or do a tyre and the extra cost has paid for itself, besides that you will be fresh enough to enjoy yourself when you get there.
Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 529839

Reply By: Michaeljp - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 20:04

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 20:04
Emily, what sort of car are you thinking of doing the drive in? Like one of the other blokes mentioned it will require about 1000kms driven per day which is easiliy doable with 3 drivers. Driving at night is safe if you drive slowly 80km/h with the standard car headlights/ highbeam. BUT, just remember cattle usually stray onto roads at night and they blend in so well at night you wont see them till your right on them, so drive slowly at night. Even during the day, dont flog the car, it will last longer if driven at a sensible speed. 95-100kph.
I think its great fun to do a cross country drive with your mates, DO IT.
But be careful and take on board what everyone says on here.
AnswerID: 529846

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 22:40

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 22:40
Google maps suggests going via Port Augusta as the shortest way See this map They give it as 3250 km or 37 hours of driving.

The other way - see this map - is 3450 km or 41 hours driving.

Fuel wise - call the round trip and some local running 7,000 km. You will probably average $1.70 per litre for fuel. If your vehicle consumes 10 l/100 km then the cost of the fuel will be $1190.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529849

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 12:00

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 12:00
Sorry but this trip fails the equal time rule.

You will spend more time driving that you will at the actual destination....like way more.
You will be spending 8 days of your 10 day holiday in the vehicle....and you will be shagged when you get there and shagged when you get home.

If you realy like drivng and are looking for a road trip...great....but if what you are after is a proper holiday and a look arround....for get it.

There are plenty of things you can do and see in 10 days from Bris and comforably.

Find a closer target or fly.

cheers
AnswerID: 529872

Reply By: veight - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 12:25

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 12:25
Hi
Have you looked at the flights ? Brisbane to Ayres Rock via QANTAS in May starts from $351 pp flight takes between 5-7hrs. A lot quicker to fly in a short time frame & you would arrive fresh ready to explore.

I assume renting a vehicle to sit hrs & hrs behind a steering wheel would not be the best way to start a holiday. Vehicle renting + fuel + possibility of excessive KM charge would soon add up. + You can rent a car from Ayres Rock airport.

On they way back from Ayres rock you fly into Alicesprings - Break the trip up and stay a few days to visit the gorges along the West / East MacDonnell ranges.

Just my opinion
Regards Matthew.
AnswerID: 529876

Reply By: Michaeljp - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 19:12

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 19:12
I think most people forget that the drive there is as important as the destination. Yes, they will be driving more than they will stay at the destination, but who cares. They will see and experience more of the country by car than you will by plane.
AnswerID: 529895

Sponsored Links