A trip down the Lachlan

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 19:03
ThreadID: 107077 Views:1436 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip along the Lachlan in the next few weeks. Condo, Lake Cargelligo, Hillston. Planning to base myself in one of the three towns then exploring from there for a week and a bit. I'm heading home North on the Kidman to Cobar for 2 days and home via Bourke.
I am familiar with the Cobar Bourke leg but was looking for advice about the Lachlan stay. Where is a good place to set up camp. Places to go and things to see. Roads to avoid. That sort of thing. Driving a 4WD towing a cub. Any advice would be good.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark A6 - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:51

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:51
Gidday Coldee!

Couple of nice little camping areas around the Lake. Hillston is a top little town with a great caravan park. If you head out to Roto north of Hillston, you can park up at the old Roto CWA hall. The only thing left of a once thriving town. Another nice little spot to camp is at the Brewster Weir. Also worth heading further south to Oxley where the Lachlan begins to turn into an inland delta of sorts and then past some of the seasonal lakes that it empties into. Some very pretty spots to camp along there. You travel the Oxley road and end up in Balranald.Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Mark

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529808

Follow Up By: Member - Mark A6 - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:53

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:53
Although I've just realised you'll be doing it the other way around! :-)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812589

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:23

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:23
Hullo Coldee

If you are interested in mining, there are abandoned mining sites north of the main E/W railway line on the road to Cobar, plus some old townships / pubs (eg, Mount Hope) and the occasional cemetery, the headstones hinting at some interesting stories.

As stated above, Hillston is a friendly little town and the CP is near the RSL for an evening meal. Fuel is available at the Caltex fuel depot (at least when there a couple of years ago) a couple of streets south of the main drag (hours may be limited a bit?)

Personally, I was a bit underwhelmed with the Lachlan Valley Way when I traveled from Booligal to Hillston. And the western end was very slippery (clay) after just a little rain.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 529826

Reply By: Member - John G - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:07

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:07
G'day Coldee

Thread 105493 has some interesting contributions, but not many that relate directly to your question.

We're heading along the Lachlan next week, but slumming it in cabins etc.. Looked at the Booligal pub as a place to stay but our visit coincides with the "sheep Races" (12 April).

I checked out the headwaters of the Lachlan back in January. It's in the middle of the paddock in the background.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 529829

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:08

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 14:08
Sorry Coldee, I tried to insert a picture but it didn't happen.
FollowupID: 812605

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 15:54

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 15:54
Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards Hillston.
It is an area I have skirted a lot but never explored so I am looking forward to filling in another couple of lines on the map. Also keen to do some photography.
AnswerID: 529833

Sponsored Links