no camping to no sleeping over night

Im coming up the east coast of aussie.Some council have signs with a picture of a tent with a cross over it saying no camping.Some say no sleeping over night.If im not in a tent it means i can stay there in a motorhome. Please help me
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 21:46

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 21:46
Just ring the respective council and ask them for the conditions.
AnswerID: 529903

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 21:58

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 21:58
Go inland a bit mate. Plenty of free camping. Vote with your $$ too.
AnswerID: 529904

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 22:13

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 22:13
Stuart,

If you get to a spot after dark, you can always say you were fatigued, and had to stop, for your own safety, and that of your fellow motorists.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529905

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:15

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:15
The Police say you can't drive if tired and will book you, so If the council says you can't stop and the Police say you must, then who wins?

I think the situation is arranged so you lose which ever way it goes.

"They", always win.
FollowupID: 812739

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 14:40

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 14:40
Whoever it is that physically tells you to move on after you have explained (politely of course) that you are too tired/drunk to move on should be asked to put their request in writing and putting their name/rank/number/position on the document given to you.

(You actually have to in your sleeping bag/bed, keys out of the ingition, it's no good sitting behind the wheel of your vehicle if you are using the "drunk" reason coz you are then likely to be nabbed for "drunk in control" or whatever it is that covers that situation.)

That way you have a record of the move-on order should anything adverse happen as a result of you doing so..

It may not be a defence but may help your case if necessary.

Disco.
FollowupID: 812766

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 09:34

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 09:34
Dont forget if using the following drunk defence they can call the cops and you get to sleep it off in the cells and maybe slapped for drunk in public
Not saying its likely but if you get too smart they can get smart back
FollowupID: 812827

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 23:34

Saturday, Apr 05, 2014 at 23:34
Pull up and have a couple of beers. No one can make you drive if you have been drinking.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529908

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 00:01

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 00:01
Hi Stuart & Gunny,
It means no staying overnight, You make enjoy the view in daylight hours but will be fined after dark. There is a reason for this and rangers will patrol the area. The sign means no camping wether in a tent or campervan. The council do not want you sleeping in the street or on the reserve.
Cheers Andy
P.S. Drinking is not an excuse to be there after dark and you will be fined as other have suggested.
I would go to a caravan park or a state forest to avoid paying the fine. State forests have many camp ground on the east coast so there is no excuse to be camping in a place your not allowed.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529911

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 08:21

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 08:21
While it sounds pretty mean, and I imagined a post asking about "human" friendly suburbs, I wouldn't want a mob of grey nomads parking out the front of my place for the night. Not all wear continence pads or have indoor toilets, and will be looking for somewhere to relieve themselves. Not to mention their loud music, drinking etc.
FollowupID: 812727

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 18:17

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 18:17
And their "illiteracy" and "fluffy yap yap" attack dogs.
FollowupID: 812781

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:45

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:45
Gday,
A lot of It comes down to common sense and attitude.
A picture of a tent with a line through it simply means no camping........they're not going to have a picture of a tent, caravan, fifth wheeler, ute with canopy, swag, roof top tent, mini bus, coach, truck, 2wd, 4wd, camper trailer, slide on camper...........................etc etc
I think if you tried the motor home argument with the ranger you would be labelled a smartarse and cop a fine, don't you think?
No ranger in their right mind are going to force you into driving or hit you with a fine if your legitimately too tired to drive and are just stopping to get a few hours sleep, but if you have just driven through a town with caravan park or camping area and use that excuse he probably wont believe you. But if your sitting there watching the sunset having a beer, or have the awning and TV aerial set up its a bit of a giveaway your not just stopping to have a sleep.
A good mate of mine is the local Ranger here and if you hear some of the bull bleep excuses and attitude he cops for just doing his job you would understand why they do slap fines on some people.
In the past he has had pensioners waiting for their pension check and really cant afford to move on, let alone move into a caravan park.......and it all depends on attitude weather they stay or go or even get helped to a better spot.

Just use common sense mate, and if a ranger does chat you , be polite and they might even help you out. Just remember they're not stupid and really don't appreciate excuses.

Cheers
AnswerID: 529922

Reply By: disco driver - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 14:22

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 14:22
For what it's worth, the street opposite our riverfront pub and the area that used to be the kids skate park here is often home to a number of campervans where the campers have eaten and then drunk too much at the pub to drive on. The rangers here are quite understanding as long as they are gone by about 8.00am. After that the campers are ordered to move on.
It must be noted that the campervans range down from massive ex coaches through to the ubiquitous "Wicked" minivans, no caravans.
It's a bit different for caravans as the nearest c/van park is only around 1-2km away so they can park the caravan and then drive back to the pub.

Disco.
AnswerID: 529938

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:49

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:49
yes it took a few replies to answer you question but basically that sighn means no overnight saying
and to not answer your question just a story
first place i ever camped after moving to perth was the Avan valley nat park
i rolled out the swag and started downing tinneys and a guy come and said no camping because the avon descent was on that weekend

i told him it was Friday not the weekend and pionted out the tinneys and told him i wasnt going anywhere now
he just said the ranger may fine me (this guy was kind of caretaking or marshelling)

and let me be bloody noisy spot i didnt realise that it was both under the flightpath and the trains echoed up the valley all night

oh well still was fun
AnswerID: 529944

Reply By: Member - Alan C (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 06:14

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 06:14
Gee Im glad I,m not travelling with you.
AnswerID: 531449

Sponsored Links