Sydney Yeo Chasm

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 00:15
ThreadID: 107121 Views:1886 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody recently travelled to the Sydney Yeo Chasm to the east of the Connie Sue Highway? What is the condition of the track?

I do not see any tracks out there on the EO Topo map or any of the other OziExplorer maps I have. Our 4WD club ran a trip out there in 2003, and I have the recorded tracklogs from that trip.

However, after the April updates to the Hema app on my iPad there appears to be a private track running out there, with a camp site indicated...

Who would I contact for permission to travel out there? We are planning to run a trip across Hann's track during and afterEaster, so time is running out for this potential little detour...

Please let me know if you know of anybody that I could contact for further information.

Cheers,
Christelle

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:18

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:18
Hi Christelle

I think you have left your permit far too late. That area was the longest ever for me to get an approved permit. It wasa real circus, first to Perth, they put it in the too hard basket for a month, them to Alice Springs for another month before sending it back to Perth.

Perth then sent it to the Warburton Community for approval which then took another month.

I can not understand why the track is not on the EO Topo, as it is on other major maps like Hema and of course the Natmap Series. Look like another section of track that Gould not have been left out.

Good Luck

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529992

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 09:01

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 09:01
I should have also stated that my user track file is also here as well, so I do not know why David did not use it?

If you go to my profile page, then to my user tracks there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 812824

Follow Up By: Member - CloudedGenie - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:57

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:57
Thanks Stephen!

I also downloaded some of the tracks to the caves around Tjukayirla. I will try to get a permit, but will not get my hopes up. If we can't go there, I guess we'll just have to find some more rock holes and gnamma holes and caves to visit...

Cheers,
Christelle
FollowupID: 812832

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:23

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:23
Hi Christelle,

I've travelled out there a number of times before it was closed off to visitors.

For a few years it was a no go area, I have in recent times heard that a number of groups have been given access but you need to apply for a permit, in the first instance go to the WA Dept Aboriginal Affairs, they will point you in the right direction, because travel to SYC isn't a routine permit application.
Ph 1300 651 077

I can't comment about track conditions nowadays but would think it trafficable.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529993

Follow Up By: Member - CloudedGenie - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:59

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:59
Thanks Phil!

I will get on the phone to them as soon as their offices open (09:00 am).

If I get the procedure to follow for the permits I will post is back on here for future reference.

Cheers,
Christelle
FollowupID: 812833

Sponsored Links